Fasted Cardio?

Options
I'm training for my first 5k yeah!! Every Tues, Wed, Thurs I wake up at 4 am for cardio- to run and work out on the elliptical for 30 mins to an hour total.

Pre-work out I drink About Time AUX. My question is-does not actually consuming anything before cardio affect weight loss? Is this considered to be a fasted cardio? I'm confused because I don't know if this helps or hinders me in some way.

Post work out I always have my EAS protein shake. I don't feel hungry that early and focused on getting to the gym because I'd rather be sleeping so I don't eat until I'm home from the gym. My main goal is to strengthen my heart stamina and staying hydrated and was curious if others don't eat in the morning prior to working out as well.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters as long as it doesn't hurt your workout intensity. I go walking, running, and biking in a fasted state sometimes.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    i run 5-9 miles with anywhere from 150calories to 300 calories. I guess i'm just used to it. but on a 9mile or longer run half way through, i refuel with GU gel or shot bloks.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Fasted cardio has no effect on weight or fat loss. Depending on many other factors, not eating may hinder a workout or it might have no discernible effect.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    if i have time, i try and get fuel in before I run, apple or banana or GU gel. I don't think running fasting helps me lose weight any faster.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    To be honest, if you are only working out for an hour and all you are doing is cardio, are you sure you need that pre-workout?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    There are studies that demonstrate the potential for the body to burn more fat in a fasted state. The rational is that your body has already used up (or stored) much of the carbs you ate the day before. With slow, steady-state cardio, you’ll burn more fat. If you’re doing something more intense, you’re more likely to bonk as the energy pathways are different for intense cardio. That said, I’m not sure the difference would make a measurable difference, but it can’t hurt either.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't. If you're able to perform better eating beforehand, then that can make a difference, but if the workout (intensity, duration, etc) is the same, fasted vs fed won't affect weight loss.

There are some subtle advantages to fasted workouts for fat loss, but we're splitting a rather fine hair here. Sustain your calorie deficit, workout hard, and be patient.
  • shells22
    shells22 Posts: 56 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input, I appreciate that! I don't always take my pre work out drink each day, depends on how I feel and the time I have to work out. I'll keep going with what feels right and if I feel weaker I'll try eating before. Will keep on trying my best each day! :)

288348.png
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There are studies that demonstrate the potential for the body to burn more fat in a fasted state. The rational is that your body has already used up (or stored) much of the carbs you ate the day before. With slow, steady-state cardio, you’ll burn more fat. If you’re doing something more intense, you’re more likely to bonk as the energy pathways are different for intense cardio. That said, I’m not sure the difference would make a measurable difference, but it can’t hurt either.

There are also studies that show that the fuel substrate burned during exercise has no effect on whole-body 24-hr fat oxidation. (Melanson et al -2009). You can also look up a recent article by Brad Schoenfeld.

So while fat utilization during exercise can be manipulated by a number of means, the primary benefit is to improve fat utilization during certain types of exercise, not to assist in the loss of stored body fat.

The one instance when fasted cardio might have some benefit is with already lean (15%> BF) individuals who need to get even leaner. That's because at lower BF levels, a primary challenge is fat mobilization rather than fat oxidation. Check out www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fasted-cardio-and-fat-loss-qa.html/ for more details.

• ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think it helps. I wake up, go to the bathroom, drink my energy drink, change and workout. I do that 5X a week and have my breakfast after. I couldn't workout after just having eaten.
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I drink gatorade while I exercise it's about 180 cals (28 oz) and I drink it throughout my hour plus workout and this keeps me from hitting a wall. I've tried to workout in a fasted state several times and feel lightheaded. I know some people don't mind fainting in the gym but I personally don't want that to happen to me. It all comes down to what works for you. I personally need at least a banana or a granola bar before my workout. I track the points and have been steadily losing.
  • shells22
    shells22 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think it helps. I wake up, go to the bathroom, drink my energy drink, change and workout. I do that 5X a week and have my breakfast after. I couldn't workout after just having eaten.

I agree with you on this, has this affected weight loss in any way? Any stalls or plateaus? I lost 70 pounds and have been fluctuating up and down. Currently my goal is to just be active daily and gain stamina for the 5k and aim watching what I eat- the 80/20 so I was wondering how the 5x a week and eating post work out is going for you, thanks!

• italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If I'm working out for an hour or less, first thing in the morning, no matter what the intensity it, I don't need any fuel. I also don't drink a lot of water either because of the whole bathroom thing while I am running (sorry if TMI). Anything under an hour is good. I never feel faint though. If you are feeling light headed you definitely should eat or drink something.

If the workout is after 10am I would need something first.

After workout, egg, english muffin, spinach, salsa, LC cheese… yummers

Oh… I ALWAYS drink a cup of coffee first though (I can barely open my eyes if I don't drink coffee)… maybe that helps.

GL
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I do fasted exercise everyday. I get up at 5:20, workout from 5:30-6:30, and I'm out the door by 6:45-6:50, work by 7:00. I don't have time to eat. I generally eat my breakfast around 11.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Most of my cardio is fasted. Makes me meaner.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/blog/my-new-study-on-fasted-cardio-and-fat-loss-take-home-points/
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Fasted cardio will not impact weight loss one way or the other. It's all about overall calorie deficit.
    It can affect your performance/energy levels, though. I frequently work out fasted and rarely have trouble, but I only recommend it "as tolerated."
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Fasted cardio will not impact weight loss one way or the other. It's all about overall calorie deficit.
    It can affect your performance/energy levels, though. I frequently work out fasted and rarely have trouble, but I only recommend it "as tolerated."

srs? or are you joking?