Why is myfitnesspal adding calories??

Options
2»

Replies

• AshleyClark122
    AshleyClark122 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    So another words, I have this 1200 cal diet so to speak. I burn off say 200 calories, and then I have to make up those calories by eating more. Is this a correct example?? Otherwise I have to lessen my activity level that I listed that I did for the day. Is this also correct??

Yes, that is correct. Since most people overestimate exercise calories burned and underestimate calories consumed, some people on MFP say to only eat back some (half or more) of the calories. I eat them pretty much all back, but you can adjust that over time depending on if you are losing and how you are feeling.

So according to what the food section is telling I need to eat 114 calories during the next half hour, I go to bed at 9pm, so that it basically keeps my cal count at 1200.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    If you don't want MFP adding those calories automatically, you can list the exercises by typing them out in your "notes" section on the exercises page to keep track of what you did and how long you did it.

Why?

You can adjust the calorie count of any exercise by clicking on it. Sensible people will adjust the MFP calorie to 50-75% of estimated burn and eat them back. People who don't require a sensible, sane and safe approach to long term weight reduction may choose to log exercise as 1 calorie

• Sued0nim
    Options
    So another words, I have this 1200 cal diet so to speak. I burn off say 200 calories, and then I have to make up those calories by eating more. Is this a correct example?? Otherwise I have to lessen my activity level that I listed that I did for the day. Is this also correct??

Yes, that is correct. Since most people overestimate exercise calories burned and underestimate calories consumed, some people on MFP say to only eat back some (half or more) of the calories. I eat them pretty much all back, but you can adjust that over time depending on if you are losing and how you are feeling.

So according to what the food section is telling I need to eat 114 calories during the next half hour, I go to bed at 9pm, so that it basically keeps my cal count at 1200.

That's not much ...it's a banana or 20g dark chocolate or packet of crisps or slice of toast or a glass of cava

Or you eat them later in the week
  • AshleyClark122
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

That's not much ...it's a banana or 20g dark chocolate or packet of crisps or slice of toast or a glass of cava

Or you eat them later in the week

It makes sense. A body needs at least 1200 to operate properly. One does exercise and looses some, then has to get the intake back up to 1200. I am just not use to eating that much. I am still full from the tossed salad and home made milkshake I had for dinner.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Eat more dense foods
    avocado, almonds peanut butter etc

pre-plan a day before helps me. I know what i eat the next day and i eat 1/4 to half back of my exercise on top.

burned calories are most of the time over estimated and logging your food is mostly under estimated. You never can get that 100%
    So i log my food for the next day after my dinner. Sit down take 5 minutes and log everything for the next day around my calorie goal. ( so without burned calories)
    The next day i tweak ( the right weight etc.) And add my burned calories
    From those calories i eat back a 1/4

Works perfect for me and i get the right nutrition to keep this body going, while i lose weight.

76145189.png
  • AshleyClark122
    Options
    Thank you !! I will have to try that. I plan ahead of what to fix for dinner the next night, as we do not eat fast food, no restaurants, and no junk food. The closest to junk food we get is a tropical trail mix. Usually I even make my own energy bars. Peanut butter is, almonds I cannot chew, and I have never tried avocado's. Cool !!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

I think eating them all back is a smarter move as well, as long as you use the correct entries. Meaning just because you were on that treadmill for 45 minutes doesn't automatically make it vigorous... go by your actual energy levels during the exercise or use what the machine spits out. This is a good way to see if the overall consumption shoudl be reduced since you're looking at average intake.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Eating them back makes sense, because, okay, example: Let's say you tell MFP you want to lose 1 pound per week. MFP will give you a calorie goal that's based on a 500 calorie deficit from your normal daily life without exercise. If you then burn more calories via exercise, you want to maintain that 500-calorie deficit by eating back the extra calories you burned during your workout.

Otherwise, you're creating too big a deficit, and that causes all sorts of problems -- harder to maintain and sustain, potential loss of muscle along with fat, easier to yo-yo and gain back the weight, nutritional deficiencies, feeling tired and hungry, headaches, hair loss, etc.

The only exception is that when you log exercise, sometimes MFP overestimates how many calories you burn. So you might want to eat back, say, only 50-75% of those exercise calories instead of 100% of them, and then see how well you're doing.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    If you don't want MFP adding those calories automatically, you can list the exercises by typing them out in your "notes" section on the exercises page to keep track of what you did and how long you did it.

Why?

You can adjust the calorie count of any exercise by clicking on it. Sensible people will adjust the MFP calorie to 50-75% of estimated burn and eat them back. People who don't require a sensible, sane and safe approach to long term weight reduction may choose to log exercise as 1 calorie

May want to educate yourself a bit more on the forums. Is that really the only reason you've seen for people logging exercise as 1 calorie?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Why?

May want to educate yourself a bit more on the forums. Is that really the only reason you've seen for people logging exercise as 1 calorie?

Nope, weight training often goes down as 1 cal too due to the low burn...but I chose not to be overly specific in order to not confuse with irrelevant details. Do you have an issue with that?
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

Why?

Lol wut?

People with activity trackers that adjust their goals automatically may log things as one calorie.

People doing the TDEE method may log things as one calorie.

People using calorie cycling may log things as one calorie.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Why?

Nope, weight training often goes down as 1 cal too due to the low burn...but I chose not to be overly specific in order to not confuse with irrelevant details. Do you have an issue with that?

Not with what you do - I myself prefer to calculate and track calories burned for cardio activities. Your statement however clearly indicates you have a bit more learning to do. Some people prefer not to track even the "high burn" activities because of inaccuracies in tracking them, not wanting to eat a different amount everyday, or any number of reasons. To them it's just not worth the hassle and they'd rather eat a "flat daily rate" that already assumes some exercise.

I do have an issue with you spreading misinformation.

• Sued0nim
    edited February 2015
    Options

Why?

Not with what you do - I myself prefer to calculate and track calories burned for cardio activities. Your statement however clearly indicates you have a bit more learning to do. Some people prefer not to track even the "high burn" activities because of inaccuracies in tracking them, not wanting to eat a different amount everyday, or any number of reasons. To them it's just not worth the hassle and they'd rather eat a "flat daily rate" that already assumes some exercise.

We are not talking about a TDEE method here so no misinformation

And I totally accept that I have a lot of learning to do, it's why I continue to log into the forums because I have found many knowledgeable people here

Thank you for your concern
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Why?

We are not talking about a TDEE method here so no misinformation

And I totally accept that I have a lot of learning to do, it's why I continue to log into the forums because I have found many knowledgeable people here

Thank you for your concern

TDEE or not, 1200 is a bit low, anyway. If they were interested in the 1 calorie approach then I imagine the op would have received advice on how to do it properly :)
  • AshleyClark122
    Options
    I want to thank everyone for their input on my question. I finally found the Step by Step Guide concerning MFP and learned a lot including the input here on this thread. I will keep my cal intake at 1200, and understand that the more I exercise the more cal's I need. I will probably eat some of these back and log them in as a snack. I plan to keep a deficit so as to lose weight yet still maintain the 1200 cal intake.

For my age and size, 1200 is the recommended cal daily intake and that is what I will do. As I read in another thread, move more and eat less, but eat healthy at the same time. As stated in this thread, eat foods that keep one filled for longer periods of time.

I have no idea about the 1 calorie intake and have no desire to learn about it, but thank you for mentioning it. I just want to loose weight yet eat healthy at the same time while still consuming 1200+ calories. I want to be able to wear my old clothes, and to walk across my yard without huffing and puffing. I plan on losing 52+ pounds and with the proper foods and exercise I will meet my goal.

I am also aware that this will not be an easy task, yet some of my motivation comes from every time I look into the closet and see my "skinny" clothes along with the desire to wear them. This comes with the fact that when I loose the desired weight and level out with a "Maintain my Weight" program, then I can buy all new clothes. That is something to look forward to. To be able to go into a store and buy new clothes.

Thank you again everyone for all the knowledge that I have learned and for your comments.