Why does the WHOLE day have to be ruined?!

Options
Okay, so I work full time and I am a full time grad student. I don't necessarily have a lot of time! My husband is amazing, and is always trying to help out as best he can... he called me yesterday and said, "What kind of pizza do you want? I know you have a paper to write so I'm just going to pick something up so you don't have to cook." Wellllllll pizza is my weakness. So I said, "Cheese! I'll also pick up the Starbucks!" (3-5pm = 50% off frapps until May 15th.)

I've been SOOO good lately, and I really didn't want to blow it, but I'll have to admit this situation was extremely tempting. Anyway, I got home and was faced with a serious dilemma! I don't know why our human minds automatically rationalize things within seconds, without even taking a 2nd thought to our actions.

My point is - naturally, I was like, well, the day is now ruined, so I guess I won't do my 30-day shred DVD. I caught myself. Wait a minuuuuute. Why does the WHOLE day have to be ruined? And why do I treat myself and wake up the next morning and feel like a total failure? It doesn't have to be that way! THERE MUST BE A BETTER WAY!

I'm CERTAIN there have been millions of people with this same thought, but I'm going to share it anyway - in the grand scheme of things, one little slip up is not going to ruin all of the hard work you have achieved up until that point!! It is NOT wrong to treat yourself. But when we allow ourselves to move into this sort of domino effect, we have reached the point of truly giving up.

So if you have a stinkin' piece of chocolate cake, my goodness, just move on and pretend nothing happened.

Replies

• tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thank you for sharing. I am guilty of this many times.

Have a great week! :flowerforyou:
  • eugene1987
    eugene1987 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well said
  • getinshapegirl
    Options
    I have been trying to focus on my weekly net calories instead of each day. It seems to help keep me out of the mindset of the day is ruined and piling it on. I know i wll either have to cut harder or spend a lot more time on the treadmill if i keep eating and skip the workout.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    well said. I also think that these little treats are what truly help us to feel like we are not giving up everything to be healthy. It is not about giving everything up... it's about be aware and healthy.
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Now I want chocolate cake ! LOL ...but great post :drinker:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Amen, Sista!

I will add that everyone is allowed to have a little fun. We're doing this to be healthier, but this is our life and I, for one, like to live life to the fullest I possibly can. So if I have a beer with my pizza that's my business and I'm not going to feel guilty about it. I probably figured it into my calories, but if I didn't I'll just move on and try to do better tomorrow.

You have to splurge every once in awhile (that's every once in a while, not every other night). I see people on here obsessing about what they are going to eat at their best friend's baby shower and I want to shout "Eat whatever you want! It's only one day!" Really, how many baby showers do we attend? Enjoy yourself!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Great Attitude! Don't let one indulgence ruin a whole day.

Pizza is my weakness, too, and I indulged last night with a whole grain crust. Didn't taste nearly as good, but still was a meal-buster.

I worked out a little last night and tried to burn off as many calories as possible, but still ended up over. I made up for it today -- I'm a little under. Hopefully, our bodies remember.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    Amen to that - What a great post - It is SOOO easy for us to fall into that trap and we don't often admit it to ourselves or others - what a great post!!!!
  • Christieherron
    Options
    thank you for this post it is Just what i needed today i have been extremely busy for 3 weeks now and i have not been getting my workouts in and i have been eating fast food i feel guilty for the way i am eating and feel like crap for not exercising. but im not giving up tomorrow is a new day and thank you for the wake up call.
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I agree!
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Ive wrote about this in a blog entry a while back. Food is not the enemy. Its about choice, its about being realistic, honest and positive attitude. Sometime the choice is to have a pizza, cookie, piece of cake its just food and a choice
    read my Blog
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/qtpiesmom
  • HannahBanana65
    Options
    I am so guilty of this!!! Your right though!! Thanks for the post! :):)
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    ya know......if hubby was gonna pick up pizza.....he coulda swung by market and got healthier foods ......needs a little re-training!!!

just sayin'!

:sad:
  • lizzie_perrin
    lizzie_perrin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to focus on my weekly net calories instead of each day. It seems to help keep me out of the mindset of the day is ruined and piling it on. I know i wll either have to cut harder or spend a lot more time on the treadmill if i keep eating and skip the workout.

That's a really good idea! Thank you!
  • Sta83cy
    Sta83cy Posts: 14
    Options
    Have you looked at the book Eat This, Not That? It helps you decide on healthier alternatives on the stuff we love so we can still have pizza and starbucks but gives you different choices. I like reading it so I can remind myself I still get all the yummy stuff but i can get it with lower calories.... And don't forget about portion control. I've been craving pizza for weeks and finally broke down and got one from subway. I only ate half of it, and it didn't bust me for the day.
  • lizzie_perrin
    lizzie_perrin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! :heart: You guys rock!
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! The all or nothing mentality can be so discouraging. I was alway ON a diet or NOT on a diet, but like you said, can't I have one brownie and not use it as an excuse to fall off completely? Better now, more balanced and focused on the long term, and this site is definitely helping. Good post!