Starting a Vegan Lifestyle- Need HELP!

Options
Tomorrow I am going to start eating vegan, anyone want to join me? I need help.

Replies

• enrique
    enrique Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a vegan protein? Most vegan diets lack enough protein for satiety. Might wanna consider something like Gardenia. All natural, GMO-free, and vegan friendly.
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a vegan. And, she is a picky eater. I make lots of stuff for her from scratch like mushroom soup, chicken-less noodle soup, cauliflower alfredo sauce. All of these recipes are online. These are easy to make & you can make double the amount & freeze for later. There's recipes for muffins, cakes, ice cream. Also grocery stores have many vegan products. I can certainly help. Ask me for recipes & I will send you. All the best!!
  • EssieStar96
    Options
    Oh, I have all the resources. I have many recipes on Pinterest and I know all the vegan proteins out there... I just want to add some people on FitnessPal who eat vegan or want to eat vegan.
  • EssieStar96
    Options
    Thank you guys for helping :)
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm not perfect and I prefer to classify myself as plant-based, but I'm definitely a 98% vegan girl, so feel free to add me! I keep an open diary too. :smile:
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Yer i might eat a vegan tomorrow.

Thinking spit roast with a nice baste till crispy
  • ebtaylor137
    ebtaylor137 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan! Have been for years, feel free to add me. Are you going from omni to vegan or vegetarian to vegan? I didn't find the transition from vegetarian to vegan to be too difficult, I can answer questions or anything about it.
  • sjhaar
    sjhaar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan but have slipped more into vegetarian mode. I felt so much better when I was vegan! Definitely need to get back into it and need all the support I can get, so I will be joining you!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I hope this is something you've been slowly building toward and you're not suddenly giving up meat/dairy etc. cold turkey tomorrow without first experimenting with recipes and finding suitable replacements. I also hope you're doing it for a serious moral reasons or because it suits your tastes and not as a way to lose weight.

I was vegetarian for several years. I experienced a radical shift is taste and went back to eating meat. I am very lucky to be able to source the meat I buy to local farms with ethically raised animals. http://plantbasedonabudget.com/ is a nice resource and if you are not familiar with nutritional yeast, I'd pick some up.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I hope this is something you've been slowly building toward and you're not suddenly giving up meat/dairy etc. cold turkey tomorrow without first experimenting with recipes and finding suitable replacements. I also hope you're doing it for a serious moral reasons or because it suits your tastes and not as a way to lose weight.

I was vegetarian for several years. I experienced a radical shift is taste and went back to eating meat. I am very lucky to be able to source the meat I buy to local farms with ethically raised animals. http://plantbasedonabudget.com/ is a nice resource and if you are not familiar with nutritional yeast, I'd pick some up.

You said "giving up meat/dairy cold turkey".

Lolcats at this hipster....sweet irony!

• corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Tried it, and quickly ran into a critical issue that cannot be supplemented out of existence. Fortunately the best source of what I needed was an animal product other than meat that can be easily and affordably had from humane sources. Beyond what is necessary to address that issue, I don't eat animal products.
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Vegan and loving it. I ate a ton of Tofu, Saitan, Soy Milk etc. anyways, so transitioning was natural and easy. We always cook super tasty curry, homemade veggie pizza, pasta with olive sauce and what not...had a great lentil soup yesterday...Thinking about making vegan burritos/wraps tonight :)
  • JacquiH73
    JacquiH73 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Vegan diet for 19 days now. Feel free to add me.
  • EssieStar96
    Options
    I was vegetarian for a year, then started eating meat again. Now I am real sure that I want to be full vegan. I believe it's the ethical way to go, plus it will make me feel better about myself since I will be saving animals.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for a year, then started eating meat again. Now I am real sure that I want to be full vegan. I believe it's the ethical way to go, plus it will make me feel better about myself since I will be saving animals.

I'm sorry.... LOL!

• TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    corgicake wrote: »
    Tried it, and quickly ran into a critical issue that cannot be supplemented out of existence. Fortunately the best source of what I needed was an animal product other than meat that can be easily and affordably had from humane sources. Beyond what is necessary to address that issue, I don't eat animal products.

Just wondered what the 'critical issue' was?
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    As an FYI, the book Passionate Vegetarian has a bunch of recipes that can easily be made vegan. I was veggie for 11 years-then I realized my issue wasn't the eating of the meat, it was the way it was raised. So now I raise my own meat, eggs, and dairy.

Best of luck to you :)
  • EssieStar96
    Options
    Thanks for recommending the book :) i will definitely check it out
  • Negriita2010
    Negriita2010 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    im also wanting to start a vegan lifestyle addme need motivation support and recipies
  • sing809
    sing809 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-gluten-free-black-bean-brownies/
    I modify these by adding orgain chocolate fudge protein powder( also vegan).

You can make a substitute for eggs by mixing 1 tbsp flax with 3 tbsp water and letting it sit for 15 minutes. This trick is often enough to convert your recipe to vegan.

Best vegan protein sources:
    Nuts and Seeds
    edamame
    tofu
    tempeh
    seitan
    TVP
    soy, pea, brown rice, and hemp protein powders
    soy milk