NSV Quit smoking and lost weight

Options
nogrows
nogrows Posts: 56 Member
Ahhhhhh!!!!!!! I am just so happy. Haven't touched a cigarette in 42 weeks and I managed to lose weight. Some weeks my weight loss is slow (mainly because I slip up a lot) and I get upset. I just have to realize that I also quit smoking :D . It is all about becoming and being healthy. I wanted to write this down so I would be more proud! Any other people here that quit smoking and are trying to lose weight? Remember: You Rock!

Replies

• happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is a huge accomplishment!
  • goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! I gained the first year after I quit smoking. Then I gained some more, and some more!!
  • nymple
    nymple Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well done, that is awesome! My mum has smoked for my whole life and years before and I spent my childhood watching her trying to quit and gaining weight until she eventually gave up on trying to quit (which frustrates me so much). So although I have never smoked myself I have seen her struggles know how very very hard quitting is and to lose weight as well is just fantastic and amazing! Keep it up!
  • nogrows
    Options
    Way to go!!! I gained the first year after I quit smoking. Then I gained some more, and some more!!
    Thank you! I gained in the first two/three months. I waited until I got the quiting under control and then started with the weight loss. Everything one step at a time!

• nogrows
    Options
    happygalah wrote: »
    Congrats! That is a huge accomplishment!
    Thank you!

• nogrows
    Options
    nymple wrote: »
    Well done, that is awesome! My mum has smoked for my whole life and years before and I spent my childhood watching her trying to quit and gaining weight until she eventually gave up on trying to quit (which frustrates me so much). So although I have never smoked myself I have seen her struggles know how very very hard quitting is and to lose weight as well is just fantastic and amazing! Keep it up!
    Thank you for the reply. Must have been hard for you to watch your mom struggle. And you should be very proud that you never started smoking!!!!

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Good for you! And yes, you can quit smoking and lose weight. I quit smoking a year ago Feb 2nd and have lost 22 lbs. after smoking for over 25 yrs. I have no regrets and have not felt better in years. I still get a craving now and then but it passes. Stay strong...you got this!
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Quitting is so very hard so it's a great accomplishment!

I quit Aug. 1, 2013, so I've just recently passed my 18 mo. anniversary. I gained weight, I guess, in that right after I quit, I found out I was pregnant with our youngest. I had complications during the pregnancy that put me on bed rest and significant time in the hospital so I gained a lot of weight. I'm still fighting with the last 25 lb. and I know not smoking impacts that. I tend to snack when I'm bored or upset. There have been times when I've been upset about this extra weight and I've been really tempted to smoke again. Instead of smoking, I schedule time to either go out and run or go to the gym to run/lift. I quit smoking to be able to run better so doing that seems more appropriate.

Still, it's a daily battle.
  • nogrows
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    Good for you! And yes, you can quit smoking and lose weight. I quit smoking a year ago Feb 2nd and have lost 22 lbs. after smoking for over 25 yrs. I have no regrets and have not felt better in years. I still get a craving now and then but it passes. Stay strong...you got this!
    Wow great progress! Hope we inspire others to quit smoking too!

• nogrows
    Options
    rps67 wrote: »
    Congrats!! Quitting is so very hard so it's a great accomplishment!

I quit Aug. 1, 2013, so I've just recently passed my 18 mo. anniversary. I gained weight, I guess, in that right after I quit, I found out I was pregnant with our youngest. I had complications during the pregnancy that put me on bed rest and significant time in the hospital so I gained a lot of weight. I'm still fighting with the last 25 lb. and I know not smoking impacts that. I tend to snack when I'm bored or upset. There have been times when I've been upset about this extra weight and I've been really tempted to smoke again. Instead of smoking, I schedule time to either go out and run or go to the gym to run/lift. I quit smoking to be able to run better so doing that seems more appropriate.

Still, it's a daily battle.
    Way to go! Take it step by step! Look at how far you have already come and imagine where you are going! (Being a healthy mom must be a really good motivation)

• palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! I did the same thing. Quit smoking about the same time I started to diet/exercise. I just thought to myself.."this is stupid. Working out on the machines for two hours and then going outside to have a smoke?" I was never a very heavy smoker though, like a pack a week, so I guess it wasn't very difficult for me to quit. I am lucky that way. I am now drinking water all day long. Not as fun because I love smoking but much healthier. :D
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I quit in January and I'm now off the patch, so I'm officially not only smoke free but nicotine free!

I'm still in the "eat ALL TEH FOODZ" phase of quitting though, lol. It's amazing what you can justify when you make the decision to quit smoking!
  • nogrows
    Options
    I quit in January and I'm now off the patch, so I'm officially not only smoke free but nicotine free!

I'm still in the "eat ALL TEH FOODZ" phase of quitting though, lol. It's amazing what you can justify when you make the decision to quit smoking!
    First of all congrats, you are becoming more healthy every day and your body is cleaning itself! You probably already know this, but chewing gum really helps and in really bad situations try a lollipop. Good luck!
    3tqsq0th37co.jpg

• aquamarina_182
    aquamarina_182 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Congratz!!! Thats so Awesome! I have recently quit smoking as well. Its been a month and a half I just went through my bit of the smokers flu...im done with the congestion, sore throat and runny nose. Now im terrified that I'll gain weight through wanting to eat everything because of how much better everything tastes.....my tastes buds have woken up and want to try evereything they have been missing...I am hoping I dont cave too much :disappointed:
  • KimF84
    KimF84 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congrats! This is certainly a hard task and something I, myself have been faced with over the past two and a half years trying to quit! I am now almost eight months without one! I don't crave them, but the weight gain is tough! Good Luck to you! And keep it up! Remember when you fall, just get back up!
  • nogrows
    Options
    Congratz!!! Thats so Awesome! I have recently quit smoking as well. Its been a month and a half I just went through my bit of the smokers flu...im done with the congestion, sore throat and runny nose. Now im terrified that I'll gain weight through wanting to eat everything because of how much better everything tastes.....my tastes buds have woken up and want to try evereything they have been missing...I am hoping I dont cave too much :disappointed:
    Yes my taste is also way better and I love it. I used to hate cilantro now I love it (same for black pepper). What foods taste different for you?
  • nogrows
    Options
    KimF84 wrote: »
    Congrats! This is certainly a hard task and something I, myself have been faced with over the past two and a half years trying to quit! I am now almost eight months without one! I don't crave them, but the weight gain is tough! Good Luck to you! And keep it up! Remember when you fall, just get back up!
    wow good job!!! In the beginning when I was craving food or cigarette I would go for a walk and call a friend. Any positive effects? For me: cigarettes do not control my schedule any more, my clothes smell better, no more cough, taste, being proud, money, time, complexion
  • meegun1
    meegun1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's been almost 2 months since I quit smoking. Don't really crave a smoke anymore and the smell really bothers me when I am around it which I find weird. Have been trying to lose weight but it is not going well. Food is my comfort I guess, and if I'm bored watch out I'll eat anything in sight. Any suggestions for how to combat that while at work sitting at a desk all day?It's a small office and no real good place to walk or I would try that.
  • nogrows
    Options
    meegun1 wrote: »
    It's been almost 2 months since I quit smoking. Don't really crave a smoke anymore and the smell really bothers me when I am around it which I find weird. Have been trying to lose weight but it is not going well. Food is my comfort I guess, and if I'm bored watch out I'll eat anything in sight. Any suggestions for how to combat that while at work sitting at a desk all day?It's a small office and no real good place to walk or I would try that.

I know what you mean and the "bored" phase is dangerous. Try to regain focus when you are bored. Here are some tips that helped me:
    When bored or on the moments I used to get a cigarette I would turn on an alarm for 60 seconds, after these seconds the craving was less or gone. (you also have apps for this like kick smoking)
    Try playing an app game that requires two hands (or any other two handed task), this will prevent you from eating/smoking (like angry birds, getting a round of coffee, clean your desk, etc.)
    And as I said above chew gum or try a lollipop (do not bite it ;)) or drink water. This might be obvious but do not leave open bags of candy (or other comfort food) lying on your desk. Put them in a drawer or throw away if you can not control yourself.
    Hope this helps! And remember your body is adjusting to the fact it does not get cigarettes anymore, so your metabolism is changing. Give it time and take it step by step! You are already a winner in the smoking game. So you know what you can do! When that does not take that much energy anymore you can focus that on losing weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!