Cutting calories but starving...

Options
Okay, so I am not really starving, but it can feel like it at times. I have cut back on the amount of calories I consume along with trying to make healthier food choices but I am having issues with still being hungry.
Does anyone have any advice, suggestions or ideas how I can keep the calories down but feel full instead of hungry?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Eat a protein and fat at every meal but maybe you set your weight loss goal is too aggressive.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water.
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Load up on non-starchy veggies! Very low calorie, high fiber, and great for filling you up. :smile:
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Heidi has got the answer.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose?
    How big of a deficit are you set at?
    Can you open your diary?
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Low calories are hard to satisfy for sure. For me I eat low carbs. Carbs affect me like a drug when I eat them I get sleepy and then want to eat a lot more. So I would say from my experience eat low carbs, drink your 8 glasses of water and keep moving and keep busy. I also drink 3 cups of coffee with creamer. TV and the computer is not burning up calories. So workout, walk, yard work spring clean, at work stay out of break room. Remember this is a journey to health not punishment. So make it fun.
  • aroder78
    aroder78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eat more fat! Low carb, high fat...
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Load up on non-starchy veggies! Very low calorie, high fiber, and great for filling you up. :smile:
    yogicarl wrote: »
    Heidi has got the answer.

^^This.

Prep and keep raw veggies you like on hand. Low calorie, and can satisfy your hunger. Along with a glass of water, it really helps
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yes, like others have said, make sure you are getting enough protein and fat and feel free to fill your plate full with veggies if you want to add to the amount of food.

Also, since I can't see your calorie limit, you should make sure you have a reasonable deficit, not too aggressive.
  • flailx
    flailx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Look for foods high in protein and fiber. Almonds are an awesome snack food - high in both. I would also recommend oatmeal (plain, not the mixes) very filling. Beans are also very filling.

Good luck!
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I find high fiber foods like beans and nuts help keep me full. I was hungry all the time until I started eating a ton of beans every day. Another good one for me is spaghetti squash....it has very few calories but fills me up like crazy. You can google spaghetti squash if you aren't familiar with it.
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    flailx wrote: »
    Look for foods high in protein and fiber. Almonds are an awesome snack food - high in both. I would also recommend oatmeal (plain, not the mixes) very filling. Beans are also very filling.

Good luck!
    I find high fiber foods like beans and nuts help keep me full. I was hungry all the time until I started eating a ton of beans every day. Another good one for me is spaghetti squash....it has very few calories but fills me up like crazy. You can google spaghetti squash if you aren't familiar with it.
    Awesome points!!

More info on how great beans are for weight loss, among other things:

Beans: the ideal carbohydrate

• lburger178
    Options
    protein shake- 1 cup unsweet almond milk, 1/2 banana, 9 tbsp liquid egg whites (from dairy section ) 1 scoop super advanced whey isolate by Phrick's body fortress. 2 tbsp steel cut oats. blend it all together, chill, enjoy. 372 cals with 5 gm fat, and 49 grams of protein. You won't be hungry for a while!
    -
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,276 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating and what are your stats? Make sure you don't have a really low limit that isn't healthy.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. You should also pay attention to when you are hungry, so you can strategize.

Example, if you get really hungry like 2 hours after breakfast, you can either tweak your breakfasts to have more protein and fat, and maybe even more volume, or you can plan a healthy mid-morning snack in advance.

Stick as best you can to an eating schedule. Your body will adjust and learn to expect food at certain times, and bother you less in between.

Pay attention to figure out your eating style too. I'm a volume eater, for example, so I like to have a bit more physical food on my plate. I also care less about breakfast and lunch -- as long as I get them, and they're tasty enough, they don't have to be special. But I like dinner to be something I'm really looking forward to eating. I feel much better in all respects if I sit down to a meal (not eating standing up, on the go, or in an uncomfortable situation). Certain foods will satisfy most treat cravings for me, with minimal damage, and others will not -- I had to learn which through trial and error. Etc. So just pay attention and learn, so you can adjust what you eat and how.

Finally... some hunger is normal, especially in the beginning, because you're adjusting. So definitely make any changes you need, but also know that it'll get better.
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Be very aware of anything you are eating with high fructose corn syrup. It puts you brain on starvation alert. In addition, it tells your body to be lethargic and to store energy as fat and not burn any. Also, find some really filling low calorie meals. Coconut shrimp is one of mine, only 175 calories and very filling!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Volumetrics...lots and lots of low cal foods.

Think MASSIVE salads, a pound of veggies as a serving, broth based veggie soups, etc...
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Lezavargas wrote: »
    Be very aware of anything you are eating with high fructose corn syrup. It puts you brain on starvation alert. In addition, it tells your body to be lethargic and to store energy as fat and not burn any. Also, find some really filling low calorie meals. Coconut shrimp is one of mine, only 175 calories and very filling!

No. No it doesn't.