Two questions in one post

Options
My first question is, do any of you have any ways you get water besides just drinking water or adding crystal light to it? I've gotten to where I drink a lot of water but I'm starting to get tired of just the same flavor. I'd like to add a little twist to it. So I was hoping some of you had some ideas for adding flavor to water. A friend told me to put fruit juice with a little bit of water in plastic ice cube trays and put the trays in the freezer and make ice cubes that way but i didn't know if anyone had any other ideas. I also don't really want to go buy the trays.

My other question is, do any of you have any easy but healthy spaghetti or pizza recipes that you'd recommend? Those are my two favorite foods but they are both unhealthy.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Replies

• denisecc
    denisecc Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Adding wedges of lemons or limes is good. Chop up some oranges too.
  • justkelley
    justkelley Posts: 53
    Options
    I like lemon juice in my water. Also there is something called like a fruit fuser (not sure on the name). But its basically your average pitcher of water and then this container connected to the lid that you can add fruit to. Whatever kind of fruit you like. Lemons, strawberries, peaches, mix and match...whatever and it fuses the fruit flavors into your water. Now I haven't tried it so I don't know how good it works or even if it works at all.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I usually like my water just plain with lots of ice, but occasionally I use True Lemon or True Orange. It's a little packet of crystals that you add to your water and give it a lemon or orange taste. It doesn't have sugar or artificial sweeteners in it and comes in convenient little packets.
  • Danidelion
    Danidelion Posts: 70
    Options
    This is a new water flavoring that just came out.-http://www.facebook.com/MiO

Oh and here's one for pasta-http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/quick_healthy_pasta_recipes
  • sinamansouri
    Options
    Try water mint leafs and cucumber
  • goertzel
    goertzel Posts: 6
    Options
    Tea - Green, Fruity, Black, Iced or Hot

Also keep in mind that a glass of water is 8oz of water. Most glasses and mugs, in my kitchen anyway, are 12 or 16oz.

For pasta what works for me is starting standard portion - 1 cup dry is around 200cal depending on shape/brand - it is really a good sized portion but also very easy to "super size" if you eyeball it. Then choose any non-cream/meat sauce. I like a spicy tomato. Then bulking up the dish with something else like mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, caramelized onion. Add a little fresh basil and you're looking at ~300cal.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I make my p'zas with a tortilla shell for the crust. Then load it up with vegy's & turkey pepperoni. It's good. Not like a "real" one, but at least I can eat a whole one & not feel bad! (or sick!)
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I make my p'zas with a tortilla shell for the crust. Then load it up with vegy's & turkey pepperoni. It's good. Not like a "real" one, but at least I can eat a whole one & not feel bad! (or sick!)

Awesome idea!! Pizza is my favorite food, I will definitely be trying this out!
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I like using spaghetti squash instead of noodles, and ground turkey instead of beef. I've even seen a suggestion to use a sugar free spaghetti sauce, but I've never tried that. Anyway, there is one suggestion.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i drink it with coffee in it ;)
  • grapevines
    grapevines Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I make pizzas with pita pockets as the crust, two tablespoons of pizza sauce, and 1/4 cup of mozzarella and then whatever else I feel like for toppings. These little pizzas are the perfect size for one person.

For water, I like to add lemon or sometimes I buy the lemon or lime flavored Perrier. The Perrier is a nice change from the norm since it's carbonated.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Excellent pizza idea that I learned from my sister:

Get a really good brown rice tortilla (some are excellent and some are hard.... so just give it a bend when purchasing). And then just add toppings! Unlike a regular tortilla that would bubble or flake to nothing and unlike a bread product w/ the wrong consistency, the brown rice tortilla simply crisps up and acts as a great thin crust pizza. Put it in the oven for around 12 minutes for normal or 14-15 for extra crispy. I'm not a fan of 'replacement' types of things, but this was excellent.