What to do when Knees become a problem....

Options
Never thought I'd ever have knee problems, but sure 'nuff, I'm starting to pain in my right knee.

Any exercise thoughts on what I can do...other than running (Dr. warned me if I continue playing Soccer, I'll be limping the rest of my days ;-(

I would appreciate your thoughts for my entire body health. Thanks!

Replies

• Coach2010
    Options
    Never thought I'd ever have knee problems, but sure 'nuff, I'm starting to pain in my right knee.

Any exercise thoughts on what I can do...other than running (Dr. warned me if I continue playing Soccer, I'll be limping the rest of my days ;-(

I would appreciate your thoughts for my entire body health. Thanks!
  • aprilann
    aprilann Posts: 238
    Options
    Seriously try pilates. I see men on my videos after all a man was the creator of it. I know the Malibu Pilates Chair is one real good work out that will give a 45 min total body workout. Check out the site see what you think.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Glucosamine Chondrotin. It is definatelly pricey but it surely beats the alternative of surgery. Also omega threes help. They both take some time to build up but will work. The the one exercise I can think of is swimming. It doesnt have that resistance and pounding on your knees. Biking/spinning is great too.
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    spinning classes are great as they are a really hard workout and get the heart rate going but only have a low impact on the knees
  • Coach2010
    Options
    Excellent! Thanks!
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm in my early 30s and have tendinitis in both my knees. My parents have both had their knees replaced and they're in their 60s now. I don't have a good outlook for my furture knees. :grumble: My Doc also told me to stop snow boarding, jogging, ect. I haven't. The only thing I truly stopped doing was jogging on the roads. The hard pavement was a killer for me.

I took up biking this year, which has been a great change. I also took up indoor soccer, which I'm not very good at, but found after the first 2 weeks, my knees no longer ache after I finsihed playing.

I say...do what you want within reason. If it hurts, stop or take a rest from that style of cardio. If you can add in other ways to work out, but partially keep what you like to do, without pain...keep doing it. Alternate days.

I also tore my ACL playing ball and had it replaced in Jan 08. I know many people were able to jog within months after surgery, but I haven't been that lucky. Sure...I can run bases or play soccer, but the constant jogging...makes my knee hurt and swell, so I don't.

I bike, play soccer, elliptical, stair master, jump rope, snow board, and this year I'll be taking up skiing. Hopefully that goes well. :smile:

I love playing all my sports and don't plan on giving it up. Ever. It makes me feel young and I'll keep going until I can't. And...then...I'll stick to anything with low impact.
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Swimming...best non impact sport for joints. :smile:
  • mimielle
    mimielle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would go see a physiotherapist and see if there are strengthening exercises you can do. Also they can determine where your knee pain is due to..it bands, lower back, etc.
  • aubs057
    aubs057 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    elliptical. works wonders! :smile:
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    elliptical. works wonders! :smile:
    depends what type of knee problems you have. i found i couldn't do this for quite a while (my knee pain was/is due to injury). I guess every persons dfferent though and you just have to experiment to see what works best for you :smile:
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Aww, poor sweetie! I know you'll find some great exercises.

Yeah, I'm worried about my knees. They don't really bother me right now (unless I've done a mega intense workout like a game of rugby) but I did a lot of horseback riding up until my junior year. I rode English too, so short stirrups and lots of out-of-the-saddle stuff. My doctor told me that I might have problems with my knees as a I got older, since the stirrups put stress on them.

I think I replied indignantly, "Sir, I do NOT ride through my knees, I ride through my heels!" He didn't quite understand. I wonder what he would have said if I'd told him my knee had come within half an inch of getting ripped off by a telephone poll when my horse bolted in the park one day. :laugh: