Lentil... Any ideas?

Options
i love lentil but I only have two healthy recipes to use it with. I would love some new ideas. I'll start with my favorite and hopefully more will follow. Thanks

Replies

• kilinnnda
    Options
    Cook 3/4 cup of lentil in 3 1/4cup of chicken stock for 30 min.
    While that is cooking prepare the rest of the ingredients, which will
    have to be chop in a very fine dice.
    4 celery sticks
    2 mid or big carrots
    1 red bell pepper
    1 red onion
    1 hand full of parsley and basil(half)
    3 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
    2 tbsp of olive oil

Soften the onion in the olive oil, then add the celery and carrot, wait about 2 min and add the pepper, the basil and the parsley, add the 1/4 cup left of chicken stock. mix in the lentil and the lemon juice and mix well. If you want it to have a creamy juice, just add a small portion of it in the blender(mixer), blend it and add it back to the pot. Add salt and pepper to taste.

I really love this recipe. I always make it with a file of salmon on top. it looks fancy and tastes great, I hope you enjoy it. =D
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I used to make lentil soup quite frequently.. I'm not entirely sure about the exact recipe anymore, but I'd sautée onions with carrot and bell pepper, then add the lentils and seasoning (lots of paprika, some chili, garlic, salt and pepper), cover with stock and simmer until the lentils were cooked. Stir in some red wine vinegar before serving and you could add some (lean) browned sausage in slices. I think this may be the recipe I based it off :smile:
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I add 3/4 cup cooked lentils to 1 lb browned ground beef and make sloppy joes with it. Use a can of manwich or the from-scratch recipe at the link...

budgetbytes.com/2011/06/sloppy-joes-plus
  • parasshelawala
    parasshelawala Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like to cook them with wheatberries, quinoa and taco seasoning and then serve in tortillas.
  • rhonsal
    rhonsal Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I make loads of Bengal coconut dal and keep portions in the freezer - really tasty and filling for very little effort http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/slightlysweetbengalg_86576
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Instead of using beans, use lentils to make chili... tomato sauce, diced tomatoes (or salsa works really well), seasonings... tastes great, good for you, and easy on the calories.
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Lentils, how I love thee! I love red lentil soup, curried red lentil soup, even plain cooked red lentils with a little bit of salt screams comfort food to me.

This recipe here is an all time favourite (I always make a double batch):

Sweet Potato Dal

gidrk0w07amu.jpg
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    go on skinnytaste.com she has a creamy lentil soup recipe and a lentil salad recipe and probably others I haven't tried any of her lentil recipes but I have tried others and haven't found one yet that I didn't like. I usually just do a simple lentil and chicken sausage soup that I love.
  • apieceofcakemi
    Options
    I make lentil tacos. Cook the lentil and use in place of the ground beef
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Lentil sprouts and roast them.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I cook up lentils on the stove alot, I cook 4 big carrots, an onion, a can of diced tomatoes, add garlic and basil, salt (in a few inches of water). when the veggies get softish, I add a pound of lentils with enough water to cover them, and cook an additional 30 minutes.

I serve it thick like a gravy or thinned out as soup.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    LENTIL SPREAD
    1.00 cup(s), Dry Lentils (Cooked and Drained)
    3.90 stalk large (11"-12" long), Celery - Raw
    0.25 cup(s), Raw Hulled Sunflower Seeds Unsalted
    0.20 medium (15 g), Green Onions, Raw
    2.00 tbsp(s), Parsley - Raw
    2.00 tbsp(s), Lemon juice - Raw
    0.25 tsp(s), Fine Sea Salt
    2.00 Tbsp. (5g), Grated Parmesian Cheese
    Put all ingredients in food processor until smooth, it's delicious on toast or crackers
  • kilinnnda
    Options
    LENTIL SPREAD
    1.00 cup(s), Dry Lentils (Cooked and Drained)
    3.90 stalk large (11"-12" long), Celery - Raw
    0.25 cup(s), Raw Hulled Sunflower Seeds Unsalted
    0.20 medium (15 g), Green Onions, Raw
    2.00 tbsp(s), Parsley - Raw
    2.00 tbsp(s), Lemon juice - Raw
    0.25 tsp(s), Fine Sea Salt
    2.00 Tbsp. (5g), Grated Parmesian Cheese
    Put all ingredients in food processor until smooth, it's delicious on toast or crackers
    Sounds delicious, I'm trying out most of these ideas. Thanks guys
    Lentils, how I love thee! I love red lentil soup, curried red lentil soup, even plain cooked red lentils with a little bit of salt screams comfort food to me.

This recipe here is an all time favourite (I always make a double batch):

Sweet Potato Dal

gidrk0w07amu.jpg
    kimw91 wrote: »
    I used to make lentil soup quite frequently.. I'm not entirely sure about the exact recipe anymore, but I'd sautée onions with carrot and bell pepper, then add the lentils and seasoning (lots of paprika, some chili, garlic, salt and pepper), cover with stock and simmer until the lentils were cooked. Stir in some red wine vinegar before serving and you could add some (lean) browned sausage in slices. I think this may be the recipe I based it off :smile: