Why am I gaining weight

Options

Replies

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Overnight I am back down to 150 from 153 that it was showing last night that is a huge fluctuation .. showing lost 1/2 inch on hips .. today is my weigh in day
    You should weigh-in at the same time every day. 153 at night and 150 in the morning is not a huge fluctuation.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just looking at your diary, you use a lot of generic entries and not weighing in grams.

For example

"Domino's pizza". You have no idea the actual calories in that. It is very hard to calculate "out to go food" with regards to calories.

"Peanut butter cookies". You have to actually weigh the cookies in grams to calculate calories.

You only have been at this for a bit, it takes time to figure out how to tighten up your food log. I am constantly tweaking.

Remember that even if you are very tight with logging and weighing there is still a percentage of error on the part of our calculations.

Just keep at it and keep tweaking your logging.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    As above.
    And I gotta ask... Do you really only have 28g of sultana bran?? I have 135g. What about milk with your cereal?
    I eat 1/3 of a cup of cereal and 1/4 1 percent milk

you need to weigh it, not just use cups. Try and always go by the grams when measuring out a serving.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    reeyonce wrote: »
    I'm gaining weight too.
    I have gained 4lbs this week I'm absolutely furious. I won't give up (even though I feel like it) but what's the point in working so hard only to GAIN weight when I'm already a beached whale?!
    I don't understand why I'm gaining so I definitely wouldn't know why u are. But I feel ur pain lol.

probably wasn't fat! don't give up..your weight can change a lot, and if you start paying attention to the sodium you are taking in, you'll see that is probably part of your problem. Not to mention, waste products and normal hormonal changes.

• sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Some good advice here. No cups or teaspoons - weigh and measure everything, watch the sodium and be just about in deficit over a whole week then weigh yourself
  • rtbrown82
    rtbrown82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get blasted here... :# but I think you should simply try cutting out processed foods and spreading out your calories. Eat real food. Your breakfasts are too small and you're eating a lot of processed foods. Not all calories are created equal, nutrient dense foods are best.

No argument against weighing, I probably need to, but I don't. I've been on my journey of healthy living since April 15, 2011 and I was a slave to food before then and I don't want to be a slave again on the opposite side. I don't stress at the end of day if I lie on my diary no one knows but me. We (wife and I) rarely eat out and cook everything, we know what's in our food.

And never count your evening weigh in, always have the same routine for weighing. (Wake up, go to the bathroom and weigh, rinse and repeat as desired.)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Weighing foods makes a huge difference.
  • kellymoore104203
    kellymoore104203 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone last week was quite different as I was taken out for a lot of meals and a girls night out certainly did not help and I am learning so much about what I am eating ....my scale will help out but already I have conflicting information like my 1/3 cup I have read three different answers on to how many grams that would be on my scale ...this should be fun today I quit smoking ..................................................................
  • SwankyTomato
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks to everyone last week was quite different as I was taken out for a lot of meals and a girls night out certainly did not help and I am learning so much about what I am eating ....my scale will help out but already I have conflicting information like my 1/3 cup I have read three different answers on to how many grams that would be on my scale ...this should be fun today I quit smoking ..................................................................

Confused here with the bolded?

We are talking weighing your food on a food scale in grams.

• kellymoore104203
    Options
    yes sorry so am I ...so my 1/3 cup or 1/4 cup I don't know how many grams I should weigh on my food scale for these calculations
  • taylormoooon
    taylormoooon Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Most things you buy will have the amount in cups and then grams usually in parenthesis. For example, the cereal I usually eat says 3/4 cups per serving but then next to that it says 31g.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It is stated in grams in parenthesis on the back of the package. For instance, 1/3 cup of oatmeal should weigh 55 grams. With the measuring cup on the scale, set the scale to 0 (tare function)
  • kellymoore104203
    Options
    ok .... I just weighed my cereal like this and yep I was eating more than 1/3 cup .... thanks for everyones support help and education ....nothing tastes as good as thin
  • SwankyTomato
    Options
    Yea! Just keep at it. ÷)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    yes sorry so am I ...so my 1/3 cup or 1/4 cup I don't know how many grams I should weigh on my food scale for these calculations

you should forget about cups and what not when weighing solid foods and only go by grams.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

wow, after watching this i went back to the kitchen and weighed my whey protein in the measuring cup it came with and i am over consuming by about 10g. I weigh my oatmeal rather than do the 1/2 cup thing but now im going to be even more strick in weighing things. Thanks for the vid.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Are you being 100% honest?
  • kellymoore104203
    Options
    yes
  • miss_rye_
    miss_rye_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you just started weighing, your body could be adjusting as well. I personally follow macros, and when I changed mine, I gained 5 pounds until about week 3, then I started to "thin" down.

Take measurements as well. I have been losing about .5lb a week to nothing a week, but my progress has been amazing.

I would spend the $18 on a food scale that can weigh in grams, this will really make sure that you are accurate on your numbers as well. Most people are eating way more than they think.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    rtbrown82 wrote: »
    I'm going to get blasted here... :# but I think you should simply try cutting out processed foods and spreading out your calories. Eat real food. Your breakfasts are too small and you're eating a lot of processed foods. Not all calories are created equal, nutrient dense foods are best.

No argument against weighing, I probably need to, but I don't. I've been on my journey of healthy living since April 15, 2011 and I was a slave to food before then and I don't want to be a slave again on the opposite side. I don't stress at the end of day if I lie on my diary no one knows but me. We (wife and I) rarely eat out and cook everything, we know what's in our food.

And never count your evening weigh in, always have the same routine for weighing. (Wake up, go to the bathroom and weigh, rinse and repeat as desired.)

Yeah no. Nothing in your first paragraph is needed.