GOOD or BAD: my body wants 40% fat in my diet to stay satiated

Options
nickelpickle
nickelpickle Posts: 55
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been a long time yo-yo dieter, and I've always (blindly) followed what the diet industry said - so I've never been one to add oil to my meals. I'd focus on carbs and protein and I'd always seem to be ravenous, especially after eating things like whole grains and potatoes. As a result, I'm 5'3" and up to 160lbs, and I have a lot of extra fat on right now. My husband recently revealed that he adds oil when he cooks for us, and on those nights, he notices I don't snack as much.

So, I started playing around with my macros and was surprised to find that my body wants FAT. If I put my macros around 40% fat (via nuts, seeds, avocados, and coconut oil), I tend to not constantly feel hungry, for once in my life!!!

I found this weird as I've always been told not to add oils, but it feels really amazing to not constantly be hungry, and to be satiated after eating a normal sized portion of food - which has significantly decreased my food obsession issues.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it okay to eat this much fat, especially with ~30lbs of fat to lose? I'm keeping my calories around 1500-1600 per day. Protein is at 20-25% and carbs are at 35-40%

Replies

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You could even eat more, and feel even less hungry. I eat between 70 and 80% fat. Its kinda nice being able to eat bacon everyday, as much as I desire. You should look into it! :-)

Oh, and I generally eat 1-2 meals per day without snacking when my macros are ketogenic. I just got through 9 hours of school on just 6 eggs and my morning coffee. Didnt have to buy the $3 slice of pizza. And I feel great!
  • nickelpickle
    nickelpickle Posts: 55
    edited February 2015
    Options
    That is good to know! I am in love with avocados and pistachios so it's so amazing to be able to eat them! I used to be in the mindframe of oh, lots of fats, lots of calories so I wouldn't eat that type of stuff. Instead I'd end up eating tons of other crap that didn't fill me up which resulted in me going WAY over my calorie budget. But if I just eat the "fats", I can stick to my budget easily!

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Macros don't matter for weight loss. They are optional and beneficial for specific purposes. I consistently prefer at a bare minimum 50g of fat, but ideally in the 60s. Hasn't changed much my entire weight loss or while changing my calorie intake. So at 2150 cals my 65g goal is almost 30% of my caloric intake. But if I were eating 1500 calories then that would be 40% of my calories from fat.

This is why grams are so much more useful than percentages for macros. So chances are that even if you increase or decrease the calories, ~60g of fat is your sweet spot as a minimum. Anywhere between 0.3-0.4 times your total weight in lbs is a good minimum goal for fat grams anyways.
  • adamrothenberger58
    Options
    I'm 260 and set my calorie intake to 1800, is that too little or too much?
  • adamrothenberger58
    Options
    Plus trying to find good lunch meals easy to make and fast???
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Why don't you start your own thread instead of hijacking this one? You'll get better and more detailed answers with a little more info. Height, daily activity level, age, exercise routine, goals, etc.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

you should create your own thread. 1800 is low for a male of your weight just going off of generic assumptions.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    my trainer had a diet prepared for me that is 35-40% fat. I was shocked at first and definitely having trouble getting it in - because I'm so used to lowering fat intake. One thing that I do is hide 1 TBSP of olive oil in my protein shake in the morning. You can't even taste it!
  • nickelpickle
    Options
    That's a good idea! I haven't been doing protein shakes because I feel like the protein does nothing for me, but I can try that for sure!

Thanks everyone for the advice! I definitely feel better about it!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    40% fat is fine, if that's what you feel happy at. Most medical recommendations will suggest 20-35% fat, but 40% really isn't all that out of range. As long as you're getting a decently varied, nutritious diet, macro ratio is mostly personal preference.

If I had the calories to add an extra tbsp of olive oil to my diet, I'd definitely not "hide" it in a protein shake. I'd probably drizzle it on veggies, bread or salad and enjoy the flavour. But that's just me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I've been a long time yo-yo dieter, and I've always (blindly) followed what the diet industry said - so I've never been one to add oil to my meals. I'd focus on carbs and protein and I'd always seem to be ravenous, especially after eating things like whole grains and potatoes. As a result, I'm 5'3" and up to 160lbs, and I have a lot of extra fat on right now. My husband recently revealed that he adds oil when he cooks for us, and on those nights, he notices I don't snack as much.

So, I started playing around with my macros and was surprised to find that my body wants FAT. If I put my macros around 40% fat (via nuts, seeds, avocados, and coconut oil), I tend to not constantly feel hungry, for once in my life!!!

I found this weird as I've always been told not to add oils, but it feels really amazing to not constantly be hungry, and to be satiated after eating a normal sized portion of food - which has significantly decreased my food obsession issues.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it okay to eat this much fat, especially with ~30lbs of fat to lose? I'm keeping my calories around 1500-1600 per day. Protein is at 20-25% and carbs are at 35-40%

You go. You have to find the dietary plan that works for you. However, no one type of diet is magic and will make you lose actual fat quicker than any other. It's all about calories in/calories out and finding the best eating plan for you. :)
  • nickelpickle
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I'm so happy to finally have found a ratio that works for me and calms my crazy appetite :)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Im the opposite OP, the more starch I eat, the fuller i feel. Especially beans, potatoes, and rice. You gotta do you, and if fat works for you than eat the fat. I personally can eat an entire container of almonds or peanut butter in a sitting and still kinda want more.
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I recently read fat loss happens on Monday (thoroughly recommend by the way) and they talk in there about how macro setting is individual and different people feel fuller on different macros. Basically protein will fill most people, but then some people will then feel fuller on carbs, some on fats and some need a mixture. I'm definitely more like melimom and feel better if I have some grains or beans or potatoes with a meal, so I was really happy to read that as so much of what's about suggests things like just meat or fish and veg as an evening meal, which has never left me satisfied. So it feels good to acknowledge that and just be ok with the fact that I'd rather have some rice or something at dinner. The OP definitely seems to be at the opposite end and it's great for you that you've been able to recognise what works for you and embrace it.
  • mhook760
    mhook760 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Fat is marvellous and doesn't make you fat - it's hard re-educating yourself after years of low fat carb filled rubbish being pushed on us as 'healthy' but as long as you stay within calorie allowance you will lose weight and feel fuller. Much healthier imho than the sugary carbs. (green leafy ones I don't see as bad or sugary hope that's obvious!)

I'm not even on a full 'keto' type diet but I borrow and play with some of it and some recipes etc. May go full keto in the future.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    For years I used to eat really low fat (below 15%), and I have to say that every since I started MFP and upped my fat intake to 25%, I feel a lot better, and the weight loss is actually easier. Plus, food tastes do much better when it's not low-fat :) I even cook with some oil these days (something I haven't done in years!).
  • cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me feel SO much better! I am continually going over my fat and am still quite a bit under my calories. I'm mostly gluten and dairy free (by choice) and I'm eating NO junk food whatsoever! It's like if I have part of an avocado and some nuts or beef, or oil in one day, though, I have to eat an extremely lowfat dinner (like less than 10 grams of fat) to stay even close to my fat for the day! I'm changing it in MFP and I'm not even going to worry about it! :smiley:
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Yeah, its pretty nice to take an entire can of olives and just fork em down as a meal. Lol among other things. You dont eat dairy, though, so I cant really recommend what I do for a diet. It would be tough without dairy.
  • nickelpickle
    Options
    I don't eat dairy either, actually I'm vegan - and believe me it's possible. Lots of nuts, seeds, avocados, and coconut oil. YUM! After all, plant-based are the healthiest fats you can get. Thank you all!!!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I had french toast for breakfast... now I'm starving... damn my husband. :expressionless: