Hey! Need some advice please!

Options
MrsTesterman1618
MrsTesterman1618 Posts: 16
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've tried this calorie counting thing so many times and I always seem to fall on my face. I'm overweight but not because I over eat. It's because most days I eat nothing at all. Then when I do I'm a carb junkie or so my doctor tells me. I have cut out all carbs, starches, and gluten and I'm mostly focused on lean protein and some fruits (like apple's) and salads (don't go to applebees for low calorie anything I learned) So she put me on a 1200 calorie diet. Which is all well and good but everyday I am still falling short. I can control my "garbage disposal" days but eating things like veggies or chewing gum but no matter how hard I try I just can't seem to take in 1200 everyday and I'm terrified that I'm not going to get any weight off. Any tips?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    So I've tried this calorie counting thing so many times and I always seem to fall on my face. I'm overweight but not because I over eat. It's because most days I eat nothing at all. Then when I do I'm a carb junkie or so my doctor tells me. I have cut out all carbs, starches, and gluten and I'm mostly focused on lean protein and some fruits (like apple's) and salads (don't go to applebees for low calorie anything I learned) So she put me on a 1200 calorie diet. Which is all well and good but everyday I am still falling short. No matter how hard I try I'm just can't seem to take in that many and I'm terrified that I'm not going to get any weight off. Any tips?

It doesn't work this way. Eating too many calories overall makes you overweight. You don't need to cut out anything and you don't want to over restrict yourself. If you are having a hard time getting to the 1200, try nuts, peat butter, avocados (nutrient dense foods)
  • MrsTesterman1618
    Options
    What she said is because of the way I eat my body has gone into "starvation mode" and so it all turns to fat. Are almonds and pistachios okay? I'm trying to eat things that will fuel my body and boost my metabolism.
  • MrsTesterman1618
    Options
    And then when I exercise do I need to take in more calories to supplement the ones I burned?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Hmmm? SO how did you accumulate all the excess weight. Clearly before you ate about maintenance or there is a medical issue.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    No such thing as starvation mode, it's a myth. Almonds and pistachios are okay but It's about calories in vs. calories out. Eat too many and you'll put on weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Remember doctors have very little training in nutrition. Mine argued with me that I was incorrect about my BMR and left the room to disprove me. Then he slunk back in to tell me I was right. It's CICO-science is not wrong. You can not "boost" your metabolism. You eat at a deficit and you will lose, its that simple. Nuts are absolutely okay, but remember those calories add up quickly. Weigh everything!
  • MrsTesterman1618
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure and she didn't really answer that question. I had something happen a few years ago and I know that i kind of fell into a depression. And I went from 140 to 195 over just a period of a few months but I'm not even really sure how it happened. I didn't eat differently or anything. I was a lot less active I know she ran some labs to check my thyroid which came back fine.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Remember doctors have very little training in nutrition. Mine argued with me that I was incorrect about my BMR and left the room to disprove me. Then he slunk back in to tell me I was right. It's CICO-science is not wrong. You can not "boost" your metabolism. You eat at a deficit and you will lose, its that simple. Nuts are absolutely okay, but remember those calories add up quickly. Weigh everything!

^This.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    The problem is that when you balance it all out, you overeat. Sure, you may have some days that you eat nothing at all. But you more than make up for it when you binge. The problem is you are in a starvation/binge cycle. Stop doing that. Eat a regular, healthy amount every day. If you exercise, make sure that exercise does not steal away so many calories you go back into starvation mode again, so eat those exercise calories back while maintaining your overall healthy calorie intake.

Don't believe for a second that just because you are converting carbs to fat is the reason you are fat. You are fat (and so was I) because when you ate you ate so much that the fat you created made you heavier. That is called overeating, but overeating on a starvation/binge cycle.

These tend to stem from psychological issues. Work on identifying the stressors that trigger these. Work on the mind. Maybe meditating or even medicating. Both worked wonders for me.

Hope this does not sound condescending, because I am simply trying to be honest and forward with advice that can help. I've been there myself.
  • MrsTesterman1618
    Options
    So if there isn't any such thing as starvation mode then it's really okay that I don't take on 1200 calories right? And that would mean that it was just the fact that when I ate I wasn't making calorie smart decisions?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    So if there isn't any such thing as starvation mode then it's really okay that I don't take on 1200 calories right? And that would mean that it was just the fact that when I ate I wasn't making calorie smart decisions?

You should be able to lose eating at 1200 calories.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Starvation mode is a myth.

That said, you shouldn't use this as an excuse to cut below 1000-1200 calories. Your body needs food to operate, just like a car needs gasoline. Food is fuel. If you eat below this range, you won't be getting the nutrients you need.

You may think you don't eat, or that you eat sporadically, but if you are gaining weight you are overeating at some point. My guess is that you are going periods without eating and then, to make up for it, bingeing in excess somewhere down the line.

Eat at a reasonable deficit. Be consistent. That's all you really need to do.
  • MrsTesterman1618
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    The problem is that when you balance it all out, you overeat. Sure, you may have some days that you eat nothing at all. But you more than make up for it when you binge. The problem is you are in a starvation/binge cycle. Stop doing that. Eat a regular, healthy amount every day. If you exercise, make sure that exercise does not steal away so many calories you go back into starvation mode again, so eat those exercise calories back while maintaining your overall healthy calorie intake.

Don't believe for a second that just because you are converting carbs to fat is the reason you are fat. You are fat (and so was I) because when you ate you ate so much that the fat you created made you heavier. That is called overeating, but overeating on a starvation/binge cycle.

These tend to stem from psychological issues. Work on identifying the stressors that trigger these. Work on the mind. Maybe meditating or even medicating. Both worked wonders for me.

Hope this does not sound condescending, because I am simply trying to be honest and forward with advice that can help. I've been there myself.

It doesn't sound condescending. I posted here so I could get helpful advice. Even if it is blunt and to the point and maybe not something I necessarily want to hear yet I NEED to know. I want to get the weight off and keep it off and that wont happen unless i know, right? I appreciate it :) thank you!
    So then I need to take in more calories then just 1200? I'm active in one way or another almost everyday.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Good for you for being open to new ideas.

This would be a GREAT thread for you. Take a read. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants#latest
  • miss_rye_
    miss_rye_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Fruit are carbs, and some fruit are very high in carbs btw.

I would totally recommend checking out IIFYM. This has changed my life! Weight loss is super slow, however, my body is recomping and I have never been so proud of how my body is becoming to look! Feel free to ask me any questions, I can try to help!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Good for you for being open to new ideas.

This would be a GREAT thread for you. Take a read. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants#latest

Agree with this.

Start with a clean slate. Forget everything (vis a vis nutrition) that your doctor, your friends, facebook, Dr. Oz, etc. has told you. Come in with an open mind, and read the above linked post. It will walk you step by step on how to get started.
  • MrsTesterman1618
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you all for your feedback. I appreciate it so much!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    So I've tried this calorie counting thing so many times and I always seem to fall on my face. I'm overweight but not because I over eat. It's because most days I eat nothing at all. Then when I do I'm a carb junkie or so my doctor tells me. I have cut out all carbs, starches, and gluten and I'm mostly focused on lean protein and some fruits (like apple's) and salads (don't go to applebees for low calorie anything I learned) So she put me on a 1200 calorie diet. Which is all well and good but everyday I am still falling short. I can control my "garbage disposal" days but eating things like veggies or chewing gum but no matter how hard I try I just can't seem to take in 1200 everyday and I'm terrified that I'm not going to get any weight off. Any tips?

Tips?

Here's your number one tip: it starts and stops with honesty.

Quit lying to yourself.

Without this, you will fail. You will continue to fail.

Honesty.

You are overeating.

If you can't be honest and admit that, then you are done here.

• azdaisy2
    azdaisy2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I eat a 1200 calorie diet and I eat extra on the days I exercise. I have had days where I struggle to eat 1200 calories. These are days where I do not plan my meals and end up at dinner with 700 calories to eat before bedtime. If I plan my meals and prep everything ahead of time I usually do really good.

Make sure you are getting enough protein and enough fat. Diets that are too low in fat will not help you lose weight. Try adding things like greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs, string cheese and nuts to your diet. Toss a few TBSP's of chopped nuts cheese to a salad or greek yogurt. Dip your apples in natural peanut butter. Have a square of really good dark chocolate for dessert.

Good luck!
  • enyangale
    Options
    Just one comment, plan your means, block cook on the weekend so you know what you take for lunch and dimmer, batch cook soups from scratch and grilled chicken that can be warmed up. Assuming you'll cook everyday and calorie count will not work. And exercise, no one should loose weight on dieting alone, it's not healthy