Options

Replies

• dandayatra
    Options
    nope
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I am mindful, but don't track. I'll try to have a few days estimating a deficit/maintenance , and a few days way over maintenance. I did this on an 8 day cruise and was able to indulge without gaining an ounce.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I'll log right up till I'm in then red on my first day and then I'm done till I get home.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yes I do,set to maintenance and using my fitbit
  • steeliebob
    steeliebob Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I spent 8 days in Hawaii last month. I didn't log at all. I did try to incorporate some healthy choices here and there, but also splurged some as well at a few meals / dessert runs. I did try to stay active to offset. I snorkeled a pile, and did several pretty decent hikes, and also did a sunrise walk every morning on the beach for several miles. The sand was super soft where I was at, and that actually proved to be plenty of effort. Came home flatlined on the scale from when I left, so was happy with that.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm going on vacation to the Caribbean in March. Even though I am OCD and strict I do not plan to track. I'll be sad to lose my streak but I want to just enjoy my vacation with my friends and not feel like I "have to do" anything. I definitely don't plan to overeat but will enjoy whatever I want, within reason. I'm thinking it'll be good practice for when I'm done losing weight. Enjoy but in moderation. And then right back to it when I get back home. I would have no way to estimate what I was eating so won't even try.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hmm. . . I would say that the only reason to log is so that you can track and try to keep your calories at a certain range. YOU ARE GOING TO PARIS. How often do you get to do that? You are only going to be there for 5 days. I would hate to think that you would waste any of that time logging food - or worrying about whether that wine or cheese or baguette that you will never get another chance to taste is going to put you over. This is Paris - not some island vacation. Deal with whatever happened when you get home, it will have been worth it.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    When I visited my sister in Hawaii in 2013 I tracked since I stayed there for around two to three weeks, but I definitely didn't track when I went to the luau.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    YOU ARE GOING TO PARIS. How often do you get to do that? You are only going to be there for 5 days. I would hate to think that you would waste any of that time logging food - or worrying about whether that wine or cheese or baguette that you will never get another chance to taste is going to put you over. This is Paris - not some island vacation. Deal with whatever happened when you get home, it will have been worth it.

All of this.

(ETA: Got any spare room in your suitcase? I've lost some weight; I can squeeze into a smaller space now.)
  • mollyr0425
    mollyr0425 Posts: 8
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Don't worry about it for the following reasons:

1) You are going to walk so much in Paris it's ridiculous
    2) Portions in Europe are much smaller so even when you're enjoying French food you won't be over eating
    3) You won't snack as much because snacks in France are a) expensive b) smaller and c) less available. Obviously they have snacks but you won't see vending machines in your hotel or a mcD's on every corner they way we do in North America.

Enjoy your vacation. Paris is unreal.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If you do track, I wouldn't worry about accuracy. I would probably track just to keep a record of what i ate (and it would probably help to keep me somewhat in check) but don't let it affect your trip.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I recently went to Florida with my son. I tracked every day. I also walked about 10 miles a day so I had tons of extra calories to use up. Tracking my food helped me make better choices but I still enjoyed awesome meals. I didn't lose or gain, maintained so it was worth it to me. If I hadn't tracked, I would most likely have gained.
  • MythicalMe84
    MythicalMe84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am going to Georgia next month for a week to visit my husband's aunt and uncle and I am already thinking about how I am going to get exercise in. We are also going to Galveston in May for our anniversary and I probably won't worry about logging then but will try to do plenty of walking. I can not eat anything now without being mindful of what it is so this probably won't change.
  • pap3rw1ngs
    pap3rw1ngs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It depends. I don't track when I'm on vacation in the US because there's so much stuff I want to eat and I'm there for such a short time that I'd rather just experience everything without worrying about the calories. Last vacation I put on almost 10lbs in 3 weeks and it was all gone after 3 weeks back on track.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I log if I have phone service, but I'm not fussed about being accurate, and I certainly won't turn something down if it would put me over my calorie goal. I'm assuming you'll do a lot of walking in order to see all the sights so you will probably be burning off a bit more than you would do in an average day if your job is sedentary.

Sometimes it has been interesting to look back and see just how many calories I can manage to stuff in during a week if I put my mind to it...
  • SandyCoils
    SandyCoils Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    That's a good question/thread topic. I don't have a real vacation (week or more away) in my sights for some years. I am going to TX for a few days in April and I will be logging. Honestly, whether I make good choices or not, I think I am one of those people who needs to log every day. I don't think I can trust myself not to log. Logging has been crazy helpful for me to see where I am during the day, and where I am heading if I go over. I'm not saying I would deprive myself, but it would help me to not completely lose control. I don't know if I will ever stop logging as it is a tool that I need to keep myself in check now and possibly forever.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'm another OCD tracker but, when I go to the Caribbean in July, my food scale and HRM are staying at home. I still plan on eating reasonably and staying active but tracking calories is going to be almost impossible.
  • vchan000
    vchan000 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I track, but I don't count.

Last time I vacationed I was still using a paper journal for food, so I carefully tracked everything I ate and drank, but I didn't pay much attention to the totals. If I wanted another beer, I had one, and didn't sweat the calories.

Part of it is I make a distinction between logging my food and counting calories. I do the same on holidays and my Christmas day generally looks horrific if you added all the numbers up, but a day or even a week isn't going to send you off the rails so long as it's not every day, or every week.

Enjoy France!