Why would MyFitnessPal reccomend Tilapia?

Options
Today's post

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/smoky-tilapia-tacos/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=recipes20150216-1&mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRokuavJZKXonjHpfsX56O4kUKK0hIkz2EFye+LIHETpodcMTsNlMa+TFAwTG5toziV8R7DBLM153N8QXRTg

Recommending using Tilapia in fish tacos.

I can't think of a worse fish for nutrition. High in bad fats, high in
the wrong type of Omega acids (6's), low in the good type (3's) in
comparison to just about every fish type out there.

The recipe sounds fine but not with Tilapia.

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    This is what OP chooses to complain about on first post.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian so really have no dog in this fight, but I used to be a pescetarian so must ask...

Since when is tilapia high in fat, let alone bad fat?
  • chipheaddave
    chipheaddave Posts: 4 Member
    Options

An example:
    http://draxe.com/eating-tilapia-is-worse-than-eating-bacon/

There have been some ongoing research that shows that farm raised
    tilapia has bad Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratios.

Much better fish out there that would work well in this recipe (my opinion).
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I love tilapia and in my opinion it doesn't have a real strong fishy flavor like other fish so maybe that is why it was suggested.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is affordable and in most areas easy to find.
    Tilapia is mild flavored so can be used in many ways and is a good fish for people who don't really like fish.
    Tilapia is low cal, relatively low fat, high protein, and has a nice amount of Vit D and B-12.
    Tilapia is low in Omega 3 compared to a lot of other fish, but Omega 3 is not the only reason to eat fish, as noted above.
    :drinker:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is probably the cheapest fish available at the grocery store, and it's sold in bulk in the freezer section. For these reasons alone, it's quite an appealing fish.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    It's on my menu tonight!
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Just had some for lunch :)
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    This morning, when I logged my Dunkin donuts iced coffee with skim and sugar, it suggested a mocha caramel latte with whipped cream. I don't have to eat that simply because it suggested it, do i? :(
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I'm outraged too! Just outraged! NO Sriracha was mentioned in the making of this dish!

This can not stand!
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I'm outraged too! Just outraged! NO Sriracha was mentioned in the making of this dish!

This can not stand!

So, I think i like you! XD
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Omega 6 is an essential nutrient just like omega 3 so having tilapia once a week isn't bad. mgx82c4qrfo0.jpg
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I love tilapia.
    I love bacon.

I give no fecks.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is low fat and good source of protein -- most of it imported form South America and China.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Today's post

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/smoky-tilapia-tacos/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=recipes20150216-1&mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRokuavJZKXonjHpfsX56O4kUKK0hIkz2EFye+LIHETpodcMTsNlMa+TFAwTG5toziV8R7DBLM153N8QXRTg

Recommending using Tilapia in fish tacos.

I can't think of a worse fish for nutrition. High in bad fats, high in
    the wrong type of Omega acids (6's), low in the good type (3's) in
    comparison to just about every fish type out there.

The recipe sounds fine but not with Tilapia.

NO
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Plenty of people like Tilapia. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad.

Also, your high in bad fats argument makes no sense. Last I checked Tilapia doesn't have Trans fat.

MrM spot on as usual. Trans Fats are the only bad fats.
  • chipheaddave
    chipheaddave Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people like Tilapia. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad.

Also, your high in bad fats argument makes no sense. Last I checked Tilapia doesn't have Trans fat.

I actually do like the taste (or lack there of) of Tilapia. I just think there are better choices for nutritional purposes.

I didn't say trans fat. I specifically discussed Omega 3 vs Omega 6 fatty acids.

I said nothing about my like/dislike of it. I am making an argument for nutrition.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

I actually do like the taste (or lack there of) of Tilapia. I just think there are better choices for nutritional purposes.

I didn't say trans fat. I specifically discussed Omega 3 vs Omega 6 fatty acids.

I said nothing about my like/dislike of it. I am making an argument for nutrition.

There are other reasons to eat Tilapia besides Omega 3's.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with omega 6 fatty acids. One can eat a diet which is too high in omega 3 fatty acids also. The western diet tends to be higher in omega 6, but they are not considered "bad".