I too have now experienced "diet sabotage"

Options
From my dad.

He brought home 2 containers (250grams each) of homemade cookies, and 500 grams of fudge.

According to him, I now have to eat all this, and he's put a week timeframe on it because apparently they will "spoil". (He's diabetic). When I told him I'm losing weight and watching what I eat, he just laughed it off.

I don't mind treats, but they should be treats, I shouldn't have to live off them for the next 5 days.

I'm not touching them. I'll even trash them if they just sit there and HE doesn't eat them. So, technically he didn't sabotage me because I ate nothing. But it pissed me off none the less .

Rant over. :|

Replies

• fallenoaks37
    Options
    Alternatively, you could freeze them and enjoy one every once in awhile.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You do realize that eating ONE cookie a day isn't going to ruin your weight loss, right?
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options
    Alternatively, you could freeze them and enjoy one every once in awhile.

I don't have that kind of self control. When I buy treats I usually go out to buy them, and I only buy one single serve.
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options
    I'm thinking perhaps I should give them away secretly.
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Accidentally drop them in the bin...no apologies
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Look at it as an opportunity to build your self control.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Give them to the neighbor and say its from your dad lol Seriously? Thats just mean. And strange...2 containers of cookies and you *must* eat them? Gross. And thats from someone who loves homemade cookies.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    The fudge I got can be frozen for months. Can your fudge not be frozen?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @Jruzer, does a weight lifter put a 300 lb weight in the middle of his living room to exercise his muscle power? Or does he build up gradually within his capacity? It's the same with "will power". If a dieter knows they have will power for one treat, then that's their capacity. No reason to set themselves up to fail.

@PoisonIvy088, I'd be half tempted to give them all away publicly. Shame on your dad.
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    Give them to the neighbor and say its from your dad lol Seriously? Thats just mean. And strange...2 containers of cookies and you *must* eat them? Gross. And thats from someone who loves homemade cookies.

I know! I love homemade cookies too but that's a bit much.
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options
    The fudge I got can be frozen for months. Can your fudge not be frozen?

Not sure to be honest. As I said I normally don't buy so much sweets. I just buy one, eat it, and then its done.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Send them to me.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I agree with either sharing or freezing.
    By sharing you show how much you love and appreciate that they are so amazing you have to let other people experience them!
    By freezing you really REALLY have to want one to get it out of the freezer, thaw or heat it, then eat it. That's a lot of work for 150-200 calories in 4 bites.
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Send them to me.

If I didn't live overseas, I probably would.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Your dad probably thinks he's doing something nice for you. Try 1, give the rest to your neighbour, and tell your dad that you appreciate the thought but as you're trying to watch what you eat you gave the rest away to avoid temptation.
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options
    You know the sweets wasn't that bad, but the part that angered me the most, was him laughing in my face when I said I'm trying to lose weight.
  • ashleezona
    ashleezona Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd throw them out and not give it a second thought. I throw out birthday cake (my absolute favorite thing in the world) all the time. A birthday (or a gift of cookies) lasts ONE day, no more.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'd eat a couple of cookies and a few bits of fudge, and give the rest away or bring them into work with for me to bribe my colleagues with when I want a hot drink but can't be bothered to get up and fill the kettle ;)
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I'd eat a couple of cookies and a few bits of fudge, and give the rest away or bring them into work with for me to bribe my colleagues with when I want a hot drink but can't be bothered to get up and fill the kettle ;)

Haha nice trick.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I don't generally like to eat high-calorie foods I haven't chosen for myself. If you don't want them, feel free to give them away or throw them away. If you want them, I agree that you could put the fudge in the freezer and have a little at a time when you want a chocolate fix.

He definitely doesn't sound supportive. My family is very supportive of my efforts. They don't eat foods I've labelled as "mommy's diet stuff" (like the low-cal protein bars I like). They don't pressure me to eat junk food, and they make sure I have time for fitness. You can definitely do it without support, but it's going to be a harder road.

My mother showed love through food (leading to my sibling and I both being overweight). Your dad may be the same - perhaps he genuinely thinks he's being nice.