Disappointed in the banner ads.

Options
I don't know. Maybe MFP doesn't have control what banner ads I see while I'm on the site, but Cheez Its!?! I do everything in my power to reduce junk food snacks and log the food I do eat. Just to come to ads selling me crap. Not helpful.

Does anyone else see anything like this?

I know some banner ads are based on browser information and recent searches, but nothing like that is showing up. Just food, insurance, and Hulu.

Replies

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure they do recent searches for ad revenue because I have never gotten Hulu or Cheez-Its.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

garmandj wrote: »
    I don't know. Maybe MFP doesn't have control what banner ads I see while I'm on the site, but Cheez Its!?! I do everything in my power to reduce junk food snacks and log the food I do eat. Just to come to ads selling me crap. Not helpful.

I know some banner ads are based on browser information and recent searches, but nothing like that is showing up. Just food, insurance, and Hulu.

The banners are based on your browsing history. If you don't like what they are showing, change up what you look at on the internet.

That being said...there is absolutely nothing wrong with Cheez Its.
  • blbst36
    blbst36 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Free ad blockers are available. I see no ads. Ever
  • calell83
    calell83 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    They are defintily targeted. It looks like they go off things you have searched for. Right now my banner shows Fitbits on amazon.

Yesterday it showed some snackfood I was looking up.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Even if you only search for something in the database, it will show up. It's actually scary.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Ads are based on the information on your computer: browser history, cookies, etc. I usually get bodybuilding.com adds or Quest Bar ads.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Like PP's said, those are targeted ads, based on your browsing history. However, install an ad blocker and you don't have to worry about seeing any ads on any websites, I even don't get the annoying ads when I watch Hulu (even though Hulu knows this and just makes we wait in silence with a screen telling me to turn off ad blocker...HA!)
  • UrnAsh_
    UrnAsh_ Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's always based on what you're looking up. I've noticed odd things pop up in the ads, but I had seen someone else mention it. Like not actually looking up cheez its but seeing someone else has posted it on whatever I'm reading.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    blbst36 wrote: »

I use adblocker now. I used to get adds for Mulberry handbags and some video game about destroying Vampires. I will admit to the Mulberry site, but video games, I have never had any interest in that past time... go figure.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing ads for American Girl dolls (I have a niece who's into them), local singles who are into surfing (going to be tough in Kansas!), and some sort of ad for intubation. I'd love to swap with someone getting food-based ads!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I use adblocker now. I used to get adds for Mulberry handbags and some video game about destroying Vampires. I will admit to the Mulberry site, but video games, I have never had any interest in that past time... go figure.

Too much time on Twilight fan sites, IMO.

o:)

eta: And why is this in "Food and Nutrition?"
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Yes I get ads for Athleta...really?!? It is like taking a kid to a candy store and telling them to choose just one thing. HA
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's what I've been looking at but other times, like right now, it's totally unrelated. I'm seeing phone adds and something about nursing.

As far as the tempting adds.. when I first started here I kept seeing chocolate and cake.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    My banners generally show up in Italian, which I find humorous. As for their content, I don't really pay attention. Currently there is one for select quite insurance, I assume because I listen to talk radio on my computer and they're a sponsor.

Rigger
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Too much time on Twilight fan sites, IMO.

o:)

eta: And why is this in "Food and Nutrition?"

No, but True Blood along time ago LOL

Cheez Its I don't know what they are/it is? but sounds foody
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've been using Firefox with adblocker and DoNotTrackMe for years, I never, ever see ads.

If you want an internet search engine that does not save your searches and use them to sell product, use DuckDuckGo. Other search engines use your searches and visited pages to target ads for you. They also package and sell your history to advertisers.