13»

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Not a chance.
  • katiesTARDIS
    Options
    I've gone both ways and I did better when I did track. It's really a matter of if you're concerned about gaining a couple pounds over vacation. If not, then don't track. If you're wanting to stay on track, keep on tracking.
  • katmumn
    katmumn Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking I'm at least going to write down what I eat as I'm planning to carry a small journal to help me make notes to go with my pictures when I get back. I'm thinking I'm going to limit snacks, and try to make choices that are reasonable in terms of food but know that even with all of the walking I will likely still go over at least a few days.

I definitely want to have crème brulee and crepes at least once as they are 2 of my most favorite foods.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Seriously, though, for me it depends on where I'm going on vacation.

If I'm travelling somewhere near home with similar food as home, or somewhere where the food isn't all that great, then yeah, I'll probably log and track and try to still eat at a deficit.

If I'm going to Paris? For 5 days? I'd eat ALL THE THINGS and not worry about it. All that walking and extra exercise will compensate, and even if I gain a pound or two, it'll be worth it because, well, it's Paris and French food is heavenly and divine and so totally worth the calories.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I don't track while on vacation. I also allow myself to indulge. And 9 out of 10 times I come back "skinnier" than when I left. Most likely due to all of my walking and being in a relaxed environment.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try! I have a feeling that's going to be a lax week for me, though.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Cell phone service is a 'biggie'. We take a lot of cruises - can't get service when you're out at sea - and I don't feel like paying the $50 a day to get service! That's the only time I don't log!
  • morgo20
    morgo20 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    When I go, I hit the gym every second day, and eat healthy choices, as well as have some treats obvoiusly!! I am going to Mexico, and plan opn drinking lots, but smart choices, red wine etc.. in the end, come back and a week of work will undue all the bad! Enjoy
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    DKG28 wrote: »
    Portions sizes are smaller; prices for dining out are very high in Paris. That'll help. I would taste as much as possible -cheese, baguette, wine, you name it. It's part of the attraction of going to France

I don't find Paris that expensive for eating out in, but I'm English and we seem to pay too much for everything.

Portion sizes are small though, and there are plenty of healthy options. I love France. I did a French degree and spent my third year of uni in France (Avignon).

I haven't been on vacation since using MFP, but I think I'd take a break from logging. I'd still eat healthily, but I don't see the point in logging when you don't know how much things weigh, exactly what ingredients are in meals etc.

I ate healthily when I went on my all inclusive 2 week honeymoon to Cuba back in 2008 and I only gained 1lb, and I think that was from the Dominos pizza we ordered when we got home.

You'll also do a lot of walking in Paris, you can walk pretty much everywhere.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I tracked when I was on holiday in Crete for a week last year. Not accurately (no food scale, lol!) but more of an exercise and 'cos I hate to see a 'missed day' in MFP. Did lots of walking/swimming so any inaccuracies made up for by exercise & I didn't stress out on it - if I wanted an extra wine I had one.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Most people are going to say "it's a short vacation/birthday/holiday, no big deal. it's just one/a few days." But if you ever run in to problems and ask for help you're going to get "I see these empty days on your diary, you're not tracking, you're lying about your intake, etc etc." Double edged sword.

Sad but true :(

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I have tracked while on vacation and will continue to do so. I walked a TON on both of my European vacations and just tried to log as best as I could, although a lot of the foods I ate weren't really in the database (i.e. honey filled mini croissants in Rome - TO.DIE.FOR!).
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    @ 970Mickaela1, LOL!

I do not track on vacations. They tend to involve a lot of walking or other physical activity, so I allow myself that mental break from my food diary with no guilt. That said, we tend to keep our trips under a week long. If I were planning to be gone for several weeks I would want to at least track for some of that time to keep the habit.
  • UrnAsh_
    UrnAsh_ Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I try my best to.
  • clarissanbowman
    clarissanbowman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The only reason I will still track on vacation is because I don't want to lose my streak.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I always track, whether on vacation or not. If I'm in a cabin or something I will bring along my scale for accuracy. If not, I just enter my meals into MFP the best I can. While some people can say "eff it, I'm on vacation", my personality doesn't work that way. I enjoy my vacation more if I know I'm not going to come home at a 15 lb weight gain that I will have to stress out about. I can still enjoy my vacation without going over.
    To each their own.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I lived in France for a year when I was 21. I came home thinner.... I'd never heard of MFP then and I certainly didn't up weigh my food. You can maintain/lose weight/enjoy a holiday without logging you know!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nope. I do not track on vacation. I like to eat good local food, not at chain restaurants that provide nutritional info, so my calorie counts are just going to be completely inaccurate guesses anyway. I just try not to go crazy and be as active as I can.