So for those maintaining below 2000/day, is this a lifetime commitment?

Options

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    KnM0107 wrote: »
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    I eat over 3,000 to maintain a body weight of 144lbs (maintained a 127lbs loss for over a year. 2000 calores would be harsh a deficit for me. Do you happen to follow Linda Bacon? The op seems very HAES and Linda is worshiped over there. She has never mentioned 2000 calories, but feels that people in the overweight category are healthier. She also speaks about people eating too few calories and gaining weight...

That's probqbly more to the topic I think. " worshiped over there" where is it?
    I'll google Linda Bacon. thank you.

You are the first one to post what I expected most inactive women under 25 or inactive men to be eating ( over 3000) but you are the first, I'm pretty sure, to post this.

Thanks for adding it to the thread! :smile:

I am NOT innactive thank you very much...

Did you even look at my profile pic. I am also 30...

Your activity level doesn't matter to the OP ... only what she deems as your activity matters. Reality doesn't interfere with her world view.

I missed someing here, could you repeat the crit, I'd like to underwtand.

Oh, wait I see the provlem. I left out the important part. Sometimes i make the mistake of being in a hurry to get through to all the posts and don't spend enough time writing slowly and comprehensibly.

Ok here goes.

Inactive women 5' to 5' 7" under 25 years old : 3000 a day
    Inactive women same hieght and 25 or older : 2500 a day
    Under 5' subtrqct 3oo

Past menopause 2300.

Higher activity levels or formal excersize, and athletes require more.

I didnt make it up, so dont even ask.

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    rllove88 wrote: »
    The op just wants to justify the fact that they are overweight by claiming it is unhealthy to eat less that 2000 cals.

So far they have yet to provide a single link to back up their claims, not surprising as they are nonsense.

I completely agree. The OP was making the same claims on another thread and when I brought up the accurate information and asked for sources I got the same responses.

OP just wants someone to tell her it's ok to be overweight and that she should continue eating whatever she wants. It's pretty clear from her posts. And all the citing of this "research" sounds delusional.

Actually, if you want us to research your claims ourselves, what is the name of the female researcher you are referring to? Let me guess, you don't have time to post that?
    I am barely in the overweight bmi range. i choose to be here, I am eating 2300 a day to stay here, and some days its not easy to eat that much actually. I have my own justification for this from research I have read, no just one artical. But the things I have read from one particular author have lengthy bibliographies amd I am not in a position to look at all the research and post links. Its not new research, I am gathering that some of you have heard about these findings before. Even some news articles have covered it, especially in UK news. It wont be hard to locate.

Thanks for your criticism!

Hi

I wonder if I could get you to maybe look at this from a different angle to the BMI one.

I would like to work out (with your permission) your body fat percentage, to see if that is in the healthy range?

All I would need is your weight,height, wrist measurement, hip, waist (at naval) measurement.
    I would be able to tell you what your BF percentage is which is a far better indicator of health than the BMI index which takes no account of the composition of the person.

Are you up for a bit of open mindedness?

That will be the day! when 65 year olds start posting their stats on social web sites!!! LOLLLLLL!

Just pm me. Your BMI says you're overweight, and if you aren't very active then you could be in a high bf range which you should be aware of (and other readers) brings a risk of many health complaints.

I'm 45 and have no issue in posting my photo and stats, because I know I'm in good physical shape. This isn't a social website, it's a website about health and fitness so forgive us if we are disagreeing with your idea that being overweight is in any way healthy. People are reading these threads all the time looking for guidance. You are just giving a distorted point of view.

I am happy as I am today. My health is good, Medical careis free at my age here in France and I was last at my doctor in the fall for a flu shot. i am not doing formal excersize but I do a lot every day. I play accordion, am out in fresh air and must do a bit of walking because I live in a medieval hill town where most streets ar too narrow for cars and to get groceries and bread every day we must walk. I know many people other places do strong yoga and go to the gym, I cantstwnd gyms. So stinky and metalic. Bleck! But again, I appreeciate so much your concerns for me. My waist to hip thing is really good, funny, its even better at this weightthan ever before! Its surprizing me!

I love thwt you care for my healthiness! Thwnks again. Sorry for the many many mistakes in spelling, I am typing as fast as I can! :smile:

Your lifestyle is great if you're happy being overweight, I'm happy for you. My brother lives in a medieval town in France and I'm very jealous of the way of life there, c'est fantasique!

BUT, it's c'est ne pas cool to encourage people to go into overweight catagories.

The evidence against it far outweighs your anecdotals. I'm sorry, but it's true!

I care for newbies here, trying to get healthy and looking for guidance. I totally disagree with your life plan irt weigh and health. But santé! You.....do...you!

• Gamliela
    Options
    I eat over 3,000 to maintain a body weight of 144lbs (maintained a 127lbs loss for over a year. 2000 calores would be harsh a deficit for me. Do you happen to follow Linda Bacon? The op seems very HAES and Linda is worshiped over there. She has never mentioned 2000 calories, but feels that people in the overweight category are healthier. She also speaks about people eating too few calories and gaining weight...

You are the first one to post what I expected most inactive women under 25 or inactive men to be eating ( over 3000) but you are the first, I'm pretty sure, to post this.

Your activity level doesn't matter to the OP ... only what she deems as your activity matters. Reality doesn't interfere with her world view.

I will accept the under 25 though

Yeah, I didnt read about your activity level, I dont remember that you posted anything about that, I wish you would, its verr interesting and as I said, I didnt see thqt you are an athelite,thats just probably cause I should wear my reading glasses to see the finer things posted by people like you.

Good on and thanks again for posting about HAAS. :)

• BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    i'm a strong believer of making healthy choices and calories per day shouldn't matter, like age, it's just a number. Personally, one should feed their body the good stuff and indulge once in awhile. Having low calories for the rest of your life is tough and there is no way I can do that.

Try to workout daily for atleast 30 minutes and make good choices. At the end you will feel and look better.

:)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Oh, wait I see the provlem. I left out the important part. Sometimes i make the mistake of being in a hurry to get through to all the posts and don't spend enough time writing slowly and comprehensibly.

Ok here goes.

Under 5' subtrqct 3oo

Past menopause 2300.

But again refusing to give a source...
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    TL/DR it all but did see the post where OP is in her 60s, partner is 20 years younger, they've been together 18 years and he makes breakfast. Apparently I made some bad choices in my past that weren't just food related. LOL

55835802.png
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Ok here goes.

Under 5' subtrqct 3oo

Past menopause 2300.

^^Seriously, this continuing thread, is the most bizarre post I have ever seen on MFP in the 3 years I have been here.

I am truly flabbergasted by the tenacity of this OP. She will never give up. I am done.
  • priyaFitnessFreak
    priyaFitnessFreak Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Lets do some more maths!!!

In order to maintain at 4'5", age 21, and living a sedentary lifestyle, you'd have to weigh 240 lbs.

I'm 6' and I'm 240 lbs.

Being 4'5" and 240 lbs, you'd probably be wider than you are tall. Not kidding.

That's a BMI of 60.1. 30 is considered obese. I think 60.1 would equal dead.

Do you want to live a life like that?

Sorry, that was a redundant question. You can't live a life like that because you'd be dead.

Love it!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Ok here goes.

Under 5' subtrqct 3oo

Past menopause 2300.

^^Seriously, this continuing thread, is the most bizarre post I have ever seen on MFP in the 3 years I have been here.

I am truly flabbergasted by the tenacity of this OP. She will never give up. I am done.

Seriously. I'm 5'2. I would be very obese if I ate 3000 cals a day with no exercise

Edit. I worked it out on a cal counter site. To maintain on 3000 cals as inactive I would have to be 400lbs.

Very obese. I see nothing healthy in that.

I'm done with this troll

Gifs or gtfo
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options

Ok here goes.

Under 5' subtrqct 3oo

Past menopause 2300.

Seriously. I'm 5'2. I would be very obese if I ate 3000 cals a day with no exercise

Edit. I worked it out on a cal counter site. To maintain on 3000 cals as inactive I would have to be 400lbs.

I'm done with this troll

Gifs or gtfo

At 5'8", I don't even count on this scale!! Guess us women over 5'7" are exempt from the craziness. phew!!!

If you haven't yet seen her reply to me it was very revealing of her logic. She said if you just eat this much eventually after a gain your weight will stabilizes at its healthiest level.

If I ate 3000 calories per day I would sure as hell "stabilize...." at an obese bmi with over 30% body fat (unless I burned about 1000 through exercise per day, which for me personally is not gonna happen.)
  • Gamliela
    Options
    ferziano wrote: »
    i'm a strong believer of making healthy choices and calories per day shouldn't matter, like age, it's just a number. Personally, one should feed their body the good stuff and indulge once in awhile. Having low calories for the rest of your life is tough and there is no way I can do that.

Try to workout daily for atleast 30 minutes and make good choices. At the end you will feel and look better.

:)

Hi Ferziano,

With the freedom to ignore calories I started out eating a lot of different foods I had deprived myself of for years, lots of bakery things, extra jam, heavy loaded stuff. After a while I actually went back to eating plenty of th foods my grandparents used to feed us, and thwt was fruit, veg, decent stuff and regular meals. It was funny how I went round that way to a pretty healthy life style.

Low calores IS tough, and it had anegative impact on my happiness. I like this road better.
    I agree with you totally, if we eat enough and get some kind of fresh air and even something like mild slow walks in a day, its going to mean you will feel and look better.

Thank you for responding, all the best. :-)

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Ok here goes.

Under 5' subtrqct 3oo

Past menopause 2300.

I'm done with this troll

Gifs or gtfo

At 5'8", I don't even count on this scale!! Guess us women over 5'7" are exempt from the craziness. phew!!!

If you haven't yet seen her reply to me it was very revealing of her logic. She said if you just eat this much eventually after a gain your weight will stabilizes at its healthiest level.

If I ate 3000 calories per day I would sure as hell "stabilize...." at an obese bmi with over 30% body fat (unless I burned about 1000 through exercise per day, which for me personally is not gonna happen.)

I missed the age posting. My weight would stabilise at 325lbs

So much better :noway:
  • Gamliela
    Options

No inactive women eat over 2000 to maintain. Logic and science contradict you at every turn.

Yes, in fact many do eat over 2000 calories and maintain their weight ! I eat 2300 and I maintwin and I am at the inactive status. Thanks for your input.:-)

Actually you are not inactive. You've stated several time you walk a lot and carry your accordion around.

That is not the definition of inactive.

Maybe that is inactive for a troll.

Well, when I looked at the dfinitions on those calorie counting things thwt define your lower necessary caloric needs it seemed my activity levels were the lowest one. And I think I am basically what fitness people would call inactive. Maybe that is wrong and I should stop saying it, but according to most sites that try to determine the caloris I think I'm pretty much stretching it to say 'active' category.

Yes, good point about the accordion. Once on here I said that the only 'lifting' I do is putting my accordion on to my shoulders. It was a reference to proper weight lifting, to accentuate the reality about my inactivity. Also, if I said that I "carry my accordion around" it would be inaccurate. It sits on my chest with the straps around my back, I cant see the buttons, so its kinda trickier than piano. I usually get to a place, then stand and play it for a while then walk to another place and play it. I read music sitting down but after memorizing tunes I have practiced enough not to need the music I usually stand up to play. Sorry if you're bored by this accordion talk, I understand.

I'm not really very good at playing accordion, but I can make more money in an hour at it than any other job I have had before. i know that isnt saying much rally, is it?

I'd say my real activity level is increased by walking up these hills in this village and getting house work done with three sets of stairs! :)

Thanks for letting me clarify and share some accordion stories with you!

• Gamliela
    Options
    jazzine1 wrote: »
    Goodmorning Everyone!!! Thanks to you who have taken the time to post anything here last night. :smile: I won't be able to respond this morning, as today, besides the daily normal walking up the hill to stand in line with everyone else in the village to purchase the obligatory baguette and maybe have croissant and coffee this is my day to clean the house!As it is a three story stone house with stone stairs and plenty of dusting I've left far too long this will take some time. Then as every day I enjoy to do the food prep of all the fresh veggies for the day and make the main mid day meal, today we have fresh cod fillets, breaded and fried in olove oil. I wouldn't be getting back to the ipad until later I am reasonably sure.
    Looks like a lot to respond too, I look forewrd to this very much. Avoir une bonne journée a tous! or as we say, just simple "Bonne Journée"! :smile:

Well, here I am quoting myself!!! I said I would be back this afternoon and here it is 4:30! I am later than I thought i would be, but its a beautriful day, sun, warm and everyone is out walking around the docks and the bridge. its been a few rainky cloud type days, so I coildnt resist to stroll on the road that winds along the river. I heard a woodpecker, saw a lizard in the rocks and two ladies walking a dog said "hi"to me, well, to be honest, after I said "good afternoon" to them they said "hello" in English too to me. :smile: I sato. A bench for awhile newr the road u de some big trees and listened to the birds, A lot of cormerants and some herrons live near where I was sitting.

So, onward! I am looking forward to reading all the new posts now.

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone... I can envision your day like a french movie paying in the background and I'm sure you'd make a great pen pal. :)

You're charming, and so's your fam. :)
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Tomhusker wrote: »
    I am 6'1" and 400 lbs. For the past two weeks I have struggled to hit 2000 calories per day, let alone the 2800 I am supposed to reach (before adding in the calories for exercise) . 2000 calories is a lot of food.

No kidding Tom, I know what you mean. if its veg and fruit, forget it. I jst cant eat 'clean' and get it all done. i've become a partly 'dirty' eater just to satisfy thecalorie requirements! And, well, I admit it, I'm enjoying all those dirty foods, like chocolate, cheese and peanut butter. They help keep the bulk of eating manageable.

• jcim1ru
    jcim1ru Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My average calorie burn for the type of lifestyle I lead is around 1400 calories per day. I add in a minimum of 400 calories of exercise a day for a total of 1800 calories.

I eat all 1800 calories each and every day and have successfully maintained my goal weight for 4 months now. For the 9 months prior I comfortably at a 1200 calorie a day diet and never felt deprived, never ate an unhealthy balance of nutrients and was closely monitored by a medical professional.

And yes, I intend to spend as much of my remaining life as I have control over eating a diet that balances calories in to calories burned. People who have been thin their entire lives do it, people who have lost weight and maintained it do it.

Reducing caloric intake to balance with caloric burn is the secret to weight management. It doesn't mean depriving yourself of being healthy, of eating only special foods, of living low-carb, high-carb, or drinking ridiculous shakes 3 times a day.

If you change your lifestyle and the result is weight loss, the weight loss will be far more permanent than if you apply any of the trendy, quick-fix remedies. None of them actually teach you anything other than following a prescribed program intended to forever drain your pocket of cash you could be spending on learning to actually do it yourself.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    The OP choose to stay in an overweight BMI on purpose!

224tucp01csm.jpg

Again, this thread is a train wreck.... You know you should not look, but you just can't help but look no matter what you might see!

Its true, I chose, still choosing, to eat enough to ensure robust health into old age. I'm 65 and having a 26 bmi is, from what I read, good for health and happiness. It could even be possibly better at 27 bmi.

I am fortunate to have no health problems. I'm not taking or been prescribed any meds.
    I don't smoke or do formal excersize and am a bit of a dirty eater.

I can't twke any credit for this however, because in fact , besides quiting smoking over 30 years ago I havent been very attentive or concerned to my health.

I posted this topic becaus of my recent interest in caloric intake and health.

Love the picture! :smile:

Okay, OP. Okay then. Let us just ACCEPT your claim that a 26 bmi is good for health. No one is disputing that that is only a bit overweight. And let's also accept that you are not lying when you say you eat 2300 per day. I'm less inclined to believe that, but for purposes of my questions we will assume its accurate.

Now. MANY MANY PEOPLE, if they were to eat 2300 calories every day, would have a BMI of 35+. Not everyone, but for many people that would be the case.

Are you suggesting that that person should eat 2300 calories a day regardless? Are you suggesting they would be HEALTHIER at a BMI of 35 because they are eating over 2300 calories? Is this what you are advocating?

Or, are you advocating everyone strive for a BMI of 26? Because if that is the case, you need to accept that many people would need to eat well under 2000 calories to maintain a BMI of 26.

Please answer these questions.

Ok, first, I claim that 26 or 27 bmi is good for MY health.

I was curious to know how other people are faring with dieting and their weight, for I am not alone in making this decision and many others are doing this now, I only hear from the ones who are dedicated to giving up diets. i am interested also in those who struggle with it too. I asked the questions to hear how ral people are managing their diets and eating and excersize too.

There are so many lovely ones here who have shared ther experience.

Oh my, I lost th topic of your questions,

Ok yoi asked if I advocate eating over 2000 I think. yes, from my research, its better to eat at the very least 2300 to 3500 a day depending on gender, age andheight.
    I am at the bottom of these levels because I am past the menopause.

The theory is that after a possible initial weight gain the bmi will settle at its natural set point eventually which could take from 2 to 6 years.

Thank you for these questions. if my post doesn't answer, please write a brief bit and ask me more if you would care to.

First of all, until this point you have not said it is just healthier for you specifically. You have said studies show it is healthier for everyone and then refused to cite those studies, but whatever.

In response to the bolded: You think that someone who eats above 2300 calories every day will magically "settle" into a BMI of 26 or 27?? If that is genuinely what you think then I think I finally understand the problem with this thread. Your fundamental understanding of human bodies is flat out wrong. If it were true, people would never get obese.

Thanks for explaining your reasoning.

Well, you could ve right, but when I loog my calories into this site here on MFP at the vottom, you know where it says 'IF you ate like this every day you would weight xxx amount of pounds", well it says I would weigh exactly what I weigh and its usually around the weight for me that is a bmi of 26.

So I feel like I dunno. Correct me agwin, cause I'm not getting it yet.

Thanks agwin! :smile:

• Gamliela
    Options
    When I wanted, after losing those pounds, to stop losing, I found it was not possible. Either I gwined or I had to keep lowering my calorie intake to something abysmal and un healthy.

I am really sorry for your unhealthy relationship with food and weight loss in the past. That said, if not being able to stop when you felt you had lost enough was your problem because every time you increased calories a bit you gained.... If you read/listened more and spoke/wrote less, you would have found the answers on this very forum. Don't be too self-absorbed to learn something new when you can.

I thought you were the same person as the one who posted in another thread, may be it was just having some of the same ridiculous ideas, may be you are indeed that nice little troll, may be you're not :) But if you're not a troll, then you remind me irrepressibly of a person who can't stop teasing their painful tooth with their tongue:(

I don't know what kind of deep dissatisfaction is pushing you to spend your time on a forum dedicated to something you've decided not to do, but I hope you resolve it... Farewell and good luck to you, whoever you are behind those posts :)

Hi mr. wise,

I wasnt the other person, and I didnt get to post there cause it got stopped.

I dont think the answers for my past are here. I think I'm here to learn about how others in real life handle their caloric i take after dieting. i want to hear how they manage to stop dieting and how they eat after dieting and how thwt impacts their life. Is it hard to do, are they happy with their maintenance calories, do they plan to do this the rest pf their lives?

Thanks for the good luck blessings and all :)

• Gamliela
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    TL/DR it all but did see the post where OP is in her 60s, partner is 20 years younger, they've been together 18 years and he makes breakfast. Apparently I made some bad choices in my past that weren't just food related. LOL

55835802.png

I love you, I love you. Its not alllll about food and weight, but you knew that already, I can see it in your face! He truly is one in a million. :-)

• Gamliela
    Options

Ok here goes.

Under 5' subtrqct 3oo

Past menopause 2300.

Ciao, it was a nice to meet you!