So for those maintaining below 2000/day, is this a lifetime commitment?

Options
I'm curious to know if those who maintain at lower than 2000 a day are happy with that and are you planning to continue it for life. If not what is your plan and do you think that low calorie maintenance will have an impact on you health?

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Since all body functions need calories to function optimally, how long, how many years, are you willing to go on with a deficit of caloric intake to maintain your weight loss?
  • mk732
    mk732 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Eating less than 2000 calories doesn't automatically mean that you're eating at a deficit. If someone is maintaining their weight on less than 2000 calories per day then they're not in a caloric deficit. If they were they would be losing weight not maintaining it. The 2000 calorie guideline is an estimate based on the average person and not everyone fits that average. If they're maintaining a healthy weight on less than 2000 calories then their body will function just fine on those calories.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    Since all body functions need calories to function optimally, how long, how many years, are you willing to go on with a deficit of caloric intake to maintain your weight loss?

First of all, you wouldn't be in a deficit for years. You'd be at maintenance.

Secondly right now I maintain on between 1700-1900 calories. It used to be more but health issues have limited my physical activity. I'm pretty happy. Sometimes I have to make myself eat more (again, due to health issues that make swallowing difficult) and other days I kinda wish I had more calories to work with. It beats the pants off the alternative-- I was much less comfortable when I was fat.
  • dontjinxit
    dontjinxit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My favorite package of cookies is 2000 :cry: :cookie:
  • Paizzaz
    Options
    I maintain around 1500-1800 calories a day and I've been doing so for over six months now. It it enough for me, I feel better than I ever have, and for me that makes it pretty easy. Also, as my body has changed so has my appetite. I do not feel deprived at all in fact! Of course there are days I far exceed my usual intake, going out and things like that but I've learned to balance that which has been important in not gaining the weight back.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    mk732 wrote: »
    Eating less than 2000 calories doesn't automatically mean that you're eating at a deficit. If someone is maintaining their weight on less than 2000 calories per day then they're not in a caloric deficit. If they were they would be losing weight not maintaining it. The 2000 calorie guideline is an estimate based on the average person and not everyone fits that average. If they're maintaining a healthy weight on less than 2000 calories then their body will function just fine on those calories.

No I don't mean nutrient deficient, although that is probably likely. Actually it wouldn't be healthy to maintain intake at 2000 calories unless you are under 4' 5" and an adult.
    Eating enough calories for your needs, including repairs of muscles, nerves, bones -- those hidden things that need attending to, plus needed effective mental energy and especially generating those all important hormones, not just for reproduction, but digestive hormones, leptin, dopamine to calm, opiates to lighten, requires over 2,000. All those things are made possible if we have plenty of caloric intake, not just attention to nutrient intake. Plenty of calories sre necessary, not to merely sustain life, (which we are designed to do on even severe caloric restriction for short periods of time for survival ) but also all the extras as I mentioned!

Its our choice, individually what we decide to do with our health and bodies. I'm not demonizing people who value thinness. Its just a question I have about how many of us are willing to take the chance of living at a calorie deficit for longer periods of time as if in survival mode. Some of us might plan to do so for the rest of our lives and ignore the possiblities of losing bone mass, muscle and even digestive functionality to sustain that lower bmi.

So for myself, at one time I was willing to do that, but now I'm not. :-)
    How about you?

• hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    what the heck are you talking about?

it's not a caloric deficit if you aren't losing weight. If your weight is staying steady then there is no deficit.
  • theamazingcassiebunny
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and around 110 pounds, and 2000 calories would make me gain. Everything I've seen so far is in line with MFP in giving me about 1600 calories to maintain (plus exercise calories). I'm not sure where that 2000 calories came from in your original post, but I have no problems getting the nutrients I need while eating the calories I can maintain on.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

No I don't mean nutrient deficient, although that is probably likely. Actually it wouldn't be healthy to maintain intake at 2000 calories unless you are under 4' 5" and an adult.
    Eating enough calories for your needs, including repairs of muscles, nerves, bones -- those hidden things that need attending to, plus needed effective mental energy and especially generating those all important hormones, not just for reproduction, but digestive hormones, leptin, dopamine to calm, opiates to lighten, requires over 2,000. All those things are made possible if we have plenty of caloric intake, not just attention to nutrient intake. Plenty of calories sre necessary, not to merely sustain life, (which we are designed to do on even severe caloric restriction for short periods of time for survival ) but also all the extras as I mentioned!

Its our choice, individually what we decide to do with our health and bodies. I'm not demonizing people who value thinness. Its just a question I have about how many of us are willing to take the chance of living at a calorie deficit for longer periods of time as if in survival mode. Some of us might plan to do so for the rest of our lives and ignore the possiblities of losing bone mass, muscle and even digestive functionality to sustain that lower bmi.

How about you?

Not true.

Sedentary maintenance for me is a little over 1500 cals and is perfectly healthy. I'm 5' 3", and not close to underweight. in fact, when I was just shy of overweight, my maintenance cals were still under 2000.

ETA: fixed momentary brain lapse
  • rjbram
    rjbram Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Your claim is nonsensical. If one eats a normal variety of foods, one would get all the nutrients the body needs. It is easy to have a normal adult who requires less than 2000 calories per day. Look it up on the online BMR calculators. For example, a 57 year old man who is 5'8" and 145 lbs (normal weight) who leads a relatively sedantary life would only need 1734 calories per day to remain healthy.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    tZOS8.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

How about you?

Source for the bolded?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options

How about you?

Informative comment :smile:
    I am not willing to eat less than 2000, in fact if I can maintain on 2500 I'll be extremely happy and it looks like that may well be my sweet number :smiley:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

As others have said, if you are maintaining it's not a deficit.

I wish I could maintain on over 2000, but absent a really high level of physical activity, I cannot.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

How about you?

Informative comment :smile:
    I am not willing to eat less than 2000, in fact if I can maintain on 2500 I'll be extremely happy and it looks like that may well be my sweet number :smiley:

If by informative you mean wrong.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

How about you?

what? this is completely false. 2000 calories is just the number they use for food labels. it isn't even an average. it's just a nice round number. it has nothing to do with individual needs. plenty of people can live quite healthy lives on less than 2000 calories a day.

why do you keep calling it a calorie deficit? if you're maintaining your weight, it's not a deficit.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Looks like my maintenance is going to be around 1800. On a daily basis, it seems okay. But I need to eat up to that every day, and I can very easily go well over that on the weekend. I'm going to have to find a way to balance it out :(
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Actually it wouldn't be healthy to maintain intake at 2000 calories unless you are under 4' 5" and an adult.

Source? Also, given that the calculated TDEE for someone of my stats (at 5'3) is under 2000 even with 6 days of exercise or 5 days of intense exercise, you are basically claiming that the only way I could be healthy is to be gaining weight (which is not healthy). Indeed, even if I assume my body weight is 145--which is slightly overweight unless I manage to build my muscle mass to more than it was last time I was there and not a weight at which I feel as healthy as I do now--my TDEE is still going to be below 2000 even with 6 days of week of exercise.

I can kick it higher by adding even more cardio (it was higher when I was running lots of miles) and perhaps by gaining some muscle mass (which is a goal), but that's about personal preference, not health.

Also, what about those studies that link low calories and long life. I'm not interested because I like to eat, but that's a different matter.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12‌ which site did you get that calculation off? If you exercise 6 days that sounds wrong. My TDEE is 2600 for same amount of exercise and I'm 5ft 2.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

How about you?
    This is just wrong. Many people don't need to eat at least 2000 calories to fill all of their body's needs. If you typically eat more than you need to maintain you will gain weight...THAT is what is unhealthy.