So for those maintaining below 2000/day, is this a lifetime commitment?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    Golly, did I say something inflammatory or what? Sheesh! Sorrrrrrrry!

Ok. Lets just say you are all correct, and I am vewy vewy wong and that eating under 2000 calories per day is proper caloric intake for maintaining your desirable body weight, or, no, as I understand it here from the most authoratative posters on this thread, that real maintenance for a women, is more like, under 1800.

My question IS: are you able and willing to undertake eating below that caloric amount of 1800 and do the physical formal excersize if that is part of your plan, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, AND do you feel that might have ANY impact upon your health? Or quality of life?

If your maintenance calories are truly 1800 calories...how would that impact your health? Any why would you undershoot that goal if you wanted to maintain? If you wanted to maintain you would eat to your maintenance goal.

Basically you make no sense.

Maintenance calories vary considerably from person to person...there is nothing magical about 2000 calories...this is what it seems you do not understand. 2000 calories isn't some generic maintenance number that is appropriate for everyone. If someone eats below 2000 calories this isn't necessarily a calorie deficit...if they're maintaining, they're maintaining...by definition and all.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm 45 and range between 133-136 lb which on my medium frame is slim.

This may be part of it. I'm 45 too, and not especially slim (fine, though) at 125, which is probably because my frame size is smaller, sigh. I would like to reverse diet and build up my LBM, however, so am hopeful that I can increase the numbers somewhat. (This is part of why I'm doing less running and more weights, plus just being increasingly interested in weights and tired of the stupid cold--but I digress.) ;-)

The cold is a bummer for sure. I got to where it hurt worse than a toothache.

seriously. I wasn't wearing gloves and walked 2 blocks and was afraid of getting frost bite last night. it was painful. sucks.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    My question IS: are you able and willing to undertake eating below that caloric amount of 1800 and do the physical formal excersize if that is part of your plan, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, AND do you feel that might have ANY impact upon your health? Or quality of life?

Mostly that's about a state of mind. If you see eating as your purpose for living then eating less will seem horrific. If you eat only to fuel the things you like to do then what does it matter if you need 1000, 2000, or 3000 calories per day? Live to eat, or eat to live. What's your point of view?

If you're one of those women that get angry when their husband eats a larger slice of pie then you're just going to be angry. Get your enjoyment out of doing things other than eating.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Ok, I seem to be hitting a nerve there wolfman. I don't know why. Are you ok with eating your maintenance cals for the rest of your life? I find most people here aren't really, that they struggle like hell to maintain and are hungry and eat reactivly on maintenance. I hear a lot of people having trouble when their appetite kicks them after restricting calories for so long when they start to eat to maintain.

I'm just asking if you plan to do it for life? To limit yourself to maintenance cals until you die and do you think you will be happy with that ongoing?

This isn't demon time! Just asking.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Golly, did I say something inflammatory or what? Sheesh! Sorrrrrrrry!

Ok. Lets just say you are all correct, and I am vewy vewy wong and that eating under 2000 calories per day is proper caloric intake for maintaining your desirable body weight, or, no, as I understand it here from the most authoratative posters on this thread, that real maintenance for a women, is more like, under 1800.

I'm willing to do it for the foreseeable future. Why shouldn't I be? And honestly, it's not like you have to make a decision right now and commit to do it forever. If at some point a person decides they'd rather be fat, then well, there's always that option. If I decide I can't live with eating at my current level I have options-- bulking or raising activity level would be two of them.

I do think it impacts health to eat at the level I do. Positively. Not that it's healthier to eat less always, and generally I think a person should eat as much as they can, but that it's healthier to eat an appropriate amount for your body. As others have said in this thread, by definition maintenance means eating what your body requires-- no more, no less. Why would it be unhealthy to do that?

You still haven't provided sources for your belief that everyone should maintain on 2000 calories or be unhealthy.
  • dontjinxit
    dontjinxit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Why is not overeating a hindrance on quality of life?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If I ever get to a point where I will maintain under 2000 calories (which i doubt would happen - I'm big & tall & active) - then yes, I would definitely continue to do so for the rest of my life, especially at old age because your metabolism does slowly decrease as you get older. You'll never see an elderly woman at a healthy weight eat like a teenager.

Calories have very little to do with nutrition. Yes, you need protein to maintain and/or build muscle mass, and you need fat in order for your body to balance hormones and chemicals and such, but the only thing you require from carbohydrates is the energy it gives you to keep moving every day. Micronutrients (vitamins, folate, magnesium, riboflavin, etc.), the really important stuff, has nothing to do with calories and you can get nearly all of them while consuming a minimal amount of calories. The amount of protein and fat you require will never add up to 2000 calories in total.

If you chose to lay in bed all day, every day, which you may have to as an elder, due to sickness or whatever, you will be eating very, very, very few calories indeed, while maintaining your weight.

Unless you enjoy being obese.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Ok, I seem to be hitting a nerve there wolfman. I don't know why. Are you ok with eating your maintenance cals for the rest of your life? I find most people here aren't really, that they struggle like hell to maintain and are hungry and eat reactivly on maintenance. I hear a lot of people having trouble when their appetite kicks them after restricting calories for so long when they start to eat to maintain.

I'm just asking if you plan to do it for life? To limit yourself to maintenance cals until you die and do you think you will be happy with that ongoing?

I've been maintaining for 2+ years and haven't had a problem.

What do you suggest? If you don't want to lose weight or maintain after weight loss (or if other people don't) that's fine. No skin off my nose. But you've yet to provide any evidence for your claim that the rest of us are doing it wrong.
  • Aviva92
    Options

Actually, I'm struggling to eat enough. I'm used to too few calories and keep losing weight. So, no, I have the opposite problem now and my weight is getting a little too low as a result. I got used to a calorie deficit from dieting. I don't feel deprived at all. The opposite.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    As far as impact on your health there is none. Your body is a machine much like an automobile. Some days you drive around more and need more fuel, other days you drive less. Your fuel tank is your fat cells. If you get more gas than you need for the day then it stays in the tank. If you don't get enough then you draw reserves from the fuel tank. There's no need to use exactly the right amount of fuel each day. Your fuel tank is a buffer.

Of course if you don't put enough fuel in the car you'll eventually run out of gas. Likewise adding more fuel than the car needs every day will result in an unhealthy situation. Can you imagine strapping extra fuel tanks to the side and top of your car to carry all the fuel you keep adding? That's what overeating is.

You don't have to eat perfectly exactly what you need each day. You should however average out to what you need. Maintenance isn't about being perfect. It's about eating generally what you need to eat each day.

Are you more worried about filling up your gas tank, or more concerned with driving around in your car? Stop fretting about how often you stop at the gas station. Spend your time enjoying your drives around town. (Hopefully the traffic is good)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Why is everybody so pissed? I just wanted to know if you all felt happy about the maintenance calories and planned to do it for ever, is it easy for yous and do you think its healthy. Looks like you all believe its very healthy and will happily go on maintaining at your MFP maintenance calorie set needs. i. will dig up the info about the 2000 cals at least tomarrow.

But I live in France and its getting a wee bit late tonight for that, gotta go get my zzz's and increase those leptins and so
    bonne nuit and peace to all yous!
  • cwolfman13
    Options

I've been maintaining for 2.5 years without issue and without logging. People have issues maintaining because they fail to actually adopt healthful habits...they return to old habits and fail on their fitness.

I have no such issues nor do I foresee any such issues. I really don't see eating to maintenance as a problem. If I didn't exercise that might be more of an issue...but I do exercise and love fitness...so again...no problem.

My maintenance is in the neighborhood of 2600 - 3200 calories per day depending on the time of year and what I'm doing...my maintenance calories aren't static.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    Why is everybody so pissed? I just wanted to know if you all felt happy about the maintenance calories and planned to do it for ever, is it easy for yous and do you think its healthy. Looks like you all believe its very healthy and will happily go on maintaining at your MFP maintenance calorie set needs. i. will dig up the info about the 2000 cals at least tomarrow.

But I live in France and its getting a wee bit late tonight for that, gotta go get my zzz's and increase those leptins and so

Because, because we're all HUNGRY!!!!
  • cwolfman13
    edited February 2015
    Options

nobody is pissed...the way you worded your question didn't make any sense.

if someone feels that their maintenance number is too low then that just means they have to do more. without exercise my maintenance would be around 2300 - 2400 calories per day...I could do that if I needed to, but I'd much rather get in some regular exercise and be able to eat more. I'm also a former competitive athlete so going and getting a little exercise isn't really a burden.
  • Aviva92
    Options

well, basically because your assertion that 2000 calories is a standard that everyone should meet is completely wrong. people tend to get uptight about wrong information being passed off as fact on here.

i think that the "forever" question is a silly one. what would be the point of dieting down to a certain weight if you don't plan to stay that weight forever? also, none of us is psychic. many diets fail. we can't predict for sure that we will never fail in life.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

No one is pissed at all. It's the internet, don't take it so seriously.

But seriously, we are all simply questioning this "eating under 2000 calories is unhealthy" idea.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Asking you to provide sources/clarify your position /= pissed.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Most women need between 1600 and 1800 calories a day for maintenance. Eating more will just cause your body to store it as fat. It's excess food.

OP is bonkers, but to be fair this is misleading as well. Plenty women maintain at over 2000 calories. Very petitie women (5'3" and under) who are lightly active do not. Just saying.

Pretty sure OP is trying to suggest that being heavy enough to maintain at 2000 is healthier than being a healthy BMI and maintaining at something under 2000. Which is, of course, nonsense.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm 45 and range between 133-136 lb which on my medium frame is slim.

This may be part of it. I'm 45 too, and not especially slim (fine, though) at 125, which is probably because my frame size is smaller, sigh. I would like to reverse diet and build up my LBM, however, so am hopeful that I can increase the numbers somewhat. (This is part of why I'm doing less running and more weights, plus just being increasingly interested in weights and tired of the stupid cold--but I digress.) ;-)

The cold is a bummer for sure. I got to where it hurt worse than a toothache.

Sadly, it's nothing to do with me. It's just colder than I like it. I spent my early years in Miami and all the ones since then in the north and have never truly adjusted, although I like Midwestern summers just fine. This was the case when I was fat too. All the thin people around here would complain about the heat and I'd be happy.

My parents tell a story about how they took me to visit my mother's family for Christmas when I was about 3--my first white Christmas. They took me out in the snow thinking I'd be all happy and excited and I started crying, which I think is a perfectly rational reaction and give myself credit for being a highly advanced 3 year old.

Granted, I also was normal weight as a 3 year old, so maybe that was the problem. ;-)