I'm addicted to food.

Options
I've so far been a lifetime chubster, always the biggest girl in the class and sometimes what felt like in the world.

I've been on a weightloss TV show, done the calorie counting thing probably 50 times and I've never been able to maintain my losses for more than a few months or a year.

My support network is great. My boyfriend is very motivational but also maintains that he likes me just the way I am. I'm going to be looking for a job in radio in a few months when I graduate and I want to be more in control of my health before then.

Anybody that feels like they've been addicted to food, or anybody that can lend support please add me!

Happy Thursday,

-Adrienne

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Me too. I feel almost as if I'd die if I didn't have food.
    No waaaay!
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    The trick is to find filling foods that are low calorie.

Broccoli, cauliflower, chicken, oats...

Basically, focus on protein & fiber, and you won't feel like eating all the time.

I find when I'm feeling unsatiated, it's because I've been snacking on sugars/carbs. That doesn't mean carbs are bad, but "easy carbs" tend to be remarkably unrewarding in terms of fullness.

I suggest you pre-prep a ton of healthy snacks ahead of time. At home, I generally have several ziploc bags/containers of carrots, broccoli, celery, etc in the fridge and a bowl of popcorn on the counter.

Drinking lots of water, or even adding protein powder to the water, generally keeps me pretty full as well. Coffee and tea are also appetite suppressants as well, and calorie free (if you drink it black)
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I live to eat and not eat to live.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

I don't understand who this is in response to, or how it's helpful for OP...
  • humpback_houlihan
    humpback_houlihan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »

I don't understand who this is in response to, or how it's helpful for OP...

Her expressing a similar mindset as my own does provide some support!
  • ahealthiercara
    ahealthiercara Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I've been overweight since I was a little kid, I went to 'fat camp' two summers in a row as a kid but was never able to keep it off. I'm now 50 pounds down from my highest weight but I've been at this weight (+/- 10lbs) for years and I've just started a concerted effort to get to a healthy weight and keep it off a few weeks ago.

Things that have helped me are EFT (you can search youtube for videos). It seems like hooey but it helps me deal with the emotional issues around food. Catherine Garceau is one youtuber I'd recommend (I'm not associated in any way with her, I just like her).

This time around I decided to conquer my demon, sugar. Giving it up completely has lessened my appetite, cravings, and emotional swings. Since then I've only felt the urge to binge during PMS and I allow myself to somewhat, just not on sugar.

Feel free to add me, happy to support you!
  • thejamiep
    thejamiep Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on day 11 of no sugar - and that means everything! No artificial sweeteners, no honey, no maple syrup, and so on. If I feel a sugar craving, I will not satisfy it with sweet fruit otherwise it just gets worse. I promise if you 100% cut it out, you will conquer the sugar demon, but the first couple of weeks won't be easy!
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Food addiction is the worst, because unlike any other thing you can be addicted to, you HAVE to eat food just to live. It can be a very difficult line to walk.
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to Mexican food, fried green tomatoes, and queso dip. I have not had any of these food items in 31 days. I ate fajitas without the tortillas at a Mexican food restaurant which would not have been my food of choice. We can do this together. This is our year for change.
  • ShanaRuth86
    Options
    Hi. I have felt like this for so long. But one thing i have come to terms with is that my addiction won't control my life. I also recongized what my triggers are emotional, mental, etc. I am going through a divorce and it has affected me. But i choose not to give in but also for my son. Current weight 229 highest i have been. We will all reach our goals. I will be praying for you all and i ask that you all do the same for me. Add me if you like
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    No waaaay!
    hehe :)
    OP- as a heads up- using the word "addict" may cause the thread to derail into a debate if food addiction is a real thing or not which never seem to end well.

One thing that you may find useful is to prelog and preplan your meals then hold yourself accountable to whats in your food diary. This keeps me on point 99% of the time.
  • humpback_houlihan
    humpback_houlihan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »
    No waaaay!
    hehe :)
    OP- as a heads up- using the word "addict" may cause the thread to derail into a debate if food addiction is a real thing or not which never seem to end well.

One thing that you may find useful is to prelog and preplan your meals then hold yourself accountable to whats in your food diary. This keeps me on point 99% of the time.

There's always room for argument and I know many people would disagree with my statement. But I also know many people understand what I'm saying. They know what it's like to be in tears at 3 in the morning because the urge to binge my face off on Wendy's far outweighed every ounce of willpower I could muster up.

I think that in acknowledging that it's a real problem is the first best step to change.