I found a trigger and it put my weight loss in limbo :(

Options
I've been doing a diet/exercise plan since the beginning of January. The timing wasn't planned, it was just the time in my life I felt I was able to start. I've been in therapy for a couple years now and I think that finally clicked in, along with a job change--much easier to appreciate life when you don't hate what you do all day! Anyways, I'm an emotional eater, but I was doing so well on my plan, I thought I had it licked (no pun intended ;]). And then...my dad came to town for a visit. Cue the "Oh, what is that I feel, a feeling? Better shut it up with some more food!" mode again. I lost twelve pounds in a month, and none since then (he was in town the end of the month). Clearly I have ongoing issues that I'm going to need to be working on, but...Even though I got back on the wagon after his weekend visit, I have not seen any progress in the last two weeks, despite having started a new, more intense exercise routine. Is it all in my head and I'm not ALLOWING myself to make progress? I'm starting to feel hopeless. How do I get off this plateau and kickstart myself back into motion?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    new exercise program can = water retention
    weight loss is not linear.
    Also I feel like you should get your well being under control too which you are in therapy.

When you first start to lose weight you lose a lot of water weight first.

keep downing what you are doing.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Maybe you use your emotional issues as your license to overeat. Like you having issues makes you entitled. Like "Sure, I overeat, but I have a reason!" As if no one else has reasons.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 12 lb loss!!
    Be patient and continue to log, log, log to make sure your eating at a deficit.
    Drink plenty of water, get some exercise and put that scale away for a week or two.
    This time next month you'll be that much further ahead in your healthier lifestyle.

Best Luck :flowerforyou:
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Probably a short plateau and you'll lose again soon. Keep on logging.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    new exercise program can = water retention
    weight loss is not linear.
    Also I feel like you should get your well being under control too which you are in therapy.

When you first start to lose weight you lose a lot of water weight first.

keep downing what you are doing.
    This and stress can also cause some water retention.

• linzb91
    linzb91 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Maybe you use your emotional issues as your license to overeat. Like you having issues makes you entitled. Like "Sure, I overeat, but I have a reason!" As if no one else has reasons.

Pretty sure that is what got me here in the first place...hence why I am on a diet and in therapy and no longer doing that, if you understood my post. It's not about overeating, it's about seeing less progress with the same routine.

Thanks for the support everyone! :)
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    linzb91 wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »

Pretty sure that is what got me here in the first place...hence why I am on a diet and in therapy and no longer doing that, if you understood my post. It's not about overeating, it's about seeing less progress with the same routine.

Thanks for the support everyone! :)

I understood your post to say your dad visiting triggered you (i.e. Undisclosed issues with pops) to eat your feelings and that you may be sabatoging yourself since the visit.
    If that wasn't the issue not sure what the relevance of this stuff about your dad and therapy and being triggered was then. *shrug*
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    So...you're down 12 pounds over 7 weeks? That's fantastic, its a pound and a half per week-keep on doing whatever it is you're doing!