Happy Medium

Options
Good morning :)

i'm still on a mission to find that happy medium -- between doing nothing at all with a ton of excuses and making the gym and healthy meals my full time job. i tend to do one or the other. this week i'm going to the gym every single day -- i typically have to skip wednesdays because of a standing appointment but it got cancelled this week, and some weekends we're out of town, but both this weekend and last we're home. SO ... that's progress right?! :)

my daily self-reminder has been to DRINK WATER. i have a 75 ounce bottle on my desk at work and a collection of crystal light liquid flavors to choose from. so far this week, every day that bottle is full at 8am and empty by 5. woo!

... i have heard over and over that drinking water has so many benefits, so i'm not questioning the experts. i'm just peeing once per hour and dealing with it. LOL

my gym routine for the past 2 weeks (since i pulled the trigger on a membership) consists of 30 minutes of cardio every day, plus 15-30 minutes of weights, alternating upper body one day, lower the next, something for abs every day. let me just say i am SORE all over right this minute. so that's progress too, right?!

... i try to pick 5 weight machines or free weight moves to make up my workout of the day. they aren't always the same, usually because the ones i want are being used, and i have heard it 's good to change it up for your muscles' sake. again, not questioning the experts. once i pick my 5 things, i do 3-4 sets of 20. starting at the heaviest weight i can manage, dropping the weight down in the last set when it becomes impossible. eventually (weeks later) i'm still with the heavy weight on that last set. (Progress!)

so my standing disclaimer is this: I’m No Expert. I’m just sharing what I have been taught, what works / has worked for me, what I find hilarious / annoying in the gym, feelings of success and the occasional failure (because it happens to us all).

i hope to use this board to encourage myself and my friends to keep up the good work!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest not just doing weight machines, but to pick a tried tested and true routine. I would also say weights before cardio. Check out New Rules of lifting, starting strength or strong lifts for good beginner programs.
  • shells22
    shells22 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely awesome and I'm rooting for you!! As long as you are happy with it then you are already on the right track! You got this!!! Great job on the water intake that's so beneficial :)

288348.png
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    75 oz? I'm trying to picture what that looks like... how do you drink from such a large container? Or do you pour some into a smaller glass? I have a cup at work that I think is around 24 oz so I'm happy if I fill it twice and drink it all.
  • sunandstars2
    sunandstars2 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    djshari wrote: »
    75 oz? I'm trying to picture what that looks like... how do you drink from such a large container? Or do you pour some into a smaller glass? I have a cup at work that I think is around 24 oz so I'm happy if I fill it twice and drink it all.

yes, it's quite large and i pour from that into a smaller glass. :) i used to have a half gallon bottle that i'd carry back and forth to work every day but that got annoying. this one stays on my desk.