Telegraph article: "Why you should never eat a bacon sandwich: what you can - and can't - eat"

Replies

• It makes my head spin. There will forever be articles saying "eat this, don't eat that" blah blah blah. And the desperate people will cling to it as gospel.
    What happened to eating in moderation and paying attention to your caloric intake? If I enjoy bacon once in a while, fine.
    People just like to over complicate things.
    BTW according to the article I'm about to die any day now :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Yeah, I mean, taken individually, most of the points in this article seem to make sense.

But I agree with the head-spinning nature of popular science in the media. It's hard to keep track.

My grandfather always said "everything in moderation". He lived to be 96. That's sort of my approach.
  • corindeathawk
    corindeathawk Posts: 254 Member
    ...mmmm...Bacon Sammich with loads of Mayo....mmmm.....
    They are great with Kugel.
    And yet another case of the headline writer not even reading the article.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    When people tell me not to eat something- I immediately want to eat all of it. Excluding foods from my diet doesn't work well with me. I fully believe everything in moderation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2015
    I'm not really on bored with the whole processed meat is going to kill you any minute now thing...there are actually a ton of conflicting studies there. I eat some processed meat in moderation...I'm not too worried about salt and whatnot given my exercise regimen...if I don't get enough salt I cramp up so some ham does me good sometimes.

In regards to much of of the other things that have been stated...the whole saturated fat thing for example...didn't really realize that was new news...the whole dietary cholesterol thing for example was debunked years ago...

so I'm not really sure how to take this article...
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    And yet another case of the headline writer not even reading the article.

Or, more likely, yet another case of a purposely controversial headline being written for clickbait purposes.

The article just says to limit consumption of processed meats, not to eliminate them altogether.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Troutsy wrote: »
    When people tell me not to eat something- I immediately want to eat all of it. Excluding foods from my diet doesn't work well with me. I fully believe everything in moderation.

yup
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    It makes my head spin. There will forever be articles saying "eat this, don't eat that" blah blah blah. And the desperate people will cling to it as gospel.
    What happened to eating in moderation and paying attention to your caloric intake? If I enjoy bacon once in a while, fine.
    People just like to over complicate things.
    BTW according to the article I'm about to die any day now :)

^5 (on your thinking, not dying any day tho :( )
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Tells me to watch milk chocolate because of fat content right after telling me the benefits of full fat yogurt and milk vs their lower fat counterparts.

I dunno, the article wasn't very good in my opinion.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Eh I don't think it's such a bad article. It doesn't tell you that you should never eat bacon... just that you should eat it in moderation.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,872 Member
    Bacon and peanut butter, now it's fixed.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i once read an article about the dangers of alcohol.

since then, i don't read anymore.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    I basically skimmed the article and got the gist of "Everything is fine in moderation" which works for me.

What I thought was interesting is the tidbit about olive oil and carcinogens. I'll have to tell my fiance about that because he fries everything in olive oil.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,872 Member
    I basically skimmed the article and got the gist of "Everything is fine in moderation" which works for me.

What I thought was interesting is the tidbit about olive oil and carcinogens. I'll have to tell my fiance about that because he fries everything in olive oil.
    If you burn olive oil when cooking, that will happen, otherwise is just the typical olive oil when heated misinformation....The refined vegetable oils that have been burnt, bleached, colored then deodorized are the obviously better and healthier alternative to cooking with extra virgin. (sarcasm)

• Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    I will eat whatever I want when I want (but no gluten - coeliacs)
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    MMMMM Bacon my1fa6mo5cn2.jpg
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    It can't just be me who already knew about the myths being untrue, right? I don't know what decade they got their 'what the line is' bits but it's not exactly groundbreaking stuff.

The link between processing (not simply eating meat which happens to have been processed) and health problems is an interesting one though - most studies I've seen just ask people whether or not they eat the stuff and what their health is like, and shockingly those more likely to eat fast food burgers are more likely to consume more calories in general compared to somebody who buys chicken breasts to cook at home so I never put much stock in them, but does anybody have any info on whether how the meat is processed has actually been found to affect the health of those who eat it?
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    This little cafe by me bakes the tastiest bacon sandwich I've ever had, though you wouldn't have thought it by the description: Toasted farmhouse wheat bread, smoked turkey, smoky almond spread, bacon, candied jalapenos and strawberry preserves. OMG, it is too good!