2015 Adopt a Noob Official MFP Thread

Options

Replies

• jsobole
    jsobole Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'd be happy to serve as a mentor for anyone looking for motivation and that extra push to succeed.

I'm a full time working mom of two so I totally understand the challenges of fitting fitness into a busy schedule. I do a combination of a number of workouts. I started out with Focus T25 - moved on to Insanity Max30, but also do BodyPump, PiYo, Spinning, Bootcamp Circuits and TurboKick!

I'm also an AFAA Certified Group X instructor.

I'm a clean eating proponent - getting fit is 80% diet, 20% exercise! LET'S GET FIT! :)
  • fabiru2013
    fabiru2013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I want to get adopted!! I dont know why but my gym skills are not good =(, I need to tone my body and to stay in track to loose the last 15 pounds. Anybody??
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Would love to connect with a knowledgeable mentor!

I'm 5' 6", and approx 134 pounds. My goals don't lie so much with weight loss as they do with strength. I plan on doing Tough Mudder this fall with my boyfriend. Currently my running ability leaves much to be desired, as does my upper body strength (which are the two most important things for an OCR like TM, I'm told). Currently working on revamping my workout routine, and thanks to some amazing MFP folks, I've constructed the following:

Sunday-- Yoga
    Monday-- Jogging [C25K]
    Tuesday-- Weightlifting [Stronglifts 5x5]
    Wednesday-- Jogging [C25K]
    Thursday-- Weightlifting [Stronglifts 5x5]
    Friday-- Jogging [C25K]
    Saturday-- Weightlifting [Stronglifts 5x5]

Would love any suggestions, and/or someone to just kick me in the rear when the going gets tough! PM/Add me!
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This mentor has adopted several noobs and is no longer available. Thanks!

Over the past ten months MFP has given me the support and knowledge I've needed to become a healthier more confident person. I've met great new friends, shared successes and setbacks and had a lot of fun along the way. I think it is time I returned some of the good that I have received.

I would like be a mentor and hopefully help someone have the same success I have had here on MFP.

I log in daily, track my food and exercise, check in with my friends and spend a little time on the message boards and groups. My definition of support is not blindly hitting the “like” button on every auto-update that MFP generates and moving on. I like to hear how my friends are doing, what has been easy this week and what has been challenging. Found any new recipes or workout ideas? I’d love to hear about them. My family needs to eat a gluten-free diet so any GF topics are always welcome. I do not have any food biases so clean eaters and junk-food-junkies are both welcome.

Because of my schedule and personal preference I work out at home. I do light cardio and both body weight and machine weight training. When the weather allows I walk and hope to start running eventually.

Look at my profile or send me a private message if you would like to know more about me or how I got to where I am now. If you send a friend request please send a note along so I know why you think I might be a good addition to your friends list.

Have fun and enjoy your time here on MFP. It has changed my life forever and I hope it does the same for you.
  • Bkq15
    Bkq15 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Looking for a mentor, I made a post in getting started that says most of what I would put here. I love cross fit and not sure how to add the calories from the work outs we do. Not sure how I go about this as I just started roaming the forums couple of hours ago.
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have plenty of mentees. Will gladly accept FR though!!
  • Annette1270
    Annette1270 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I can definitely help. How would you let us know who we are paired up with?
  • angelamaria1978
    angelamaria1978 Posts: 2
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi I'm 37 yo, new to MFP and UK based. I didn't dare weigh myself when I started MFP but gphave finally done so (and wish I hadn't ) current weight 181lbs goal 130lbs. Logging food every day, have up24 however not exercising YET!'always struggling for time with little one. Would love some support, won't bog you down as my time is limited!!!
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I think I signed up as a mentor months ago but never heard back. Soo.... here I am.
  • beanie21mfp
    beanie21mfp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1", 25years old and living in Ireland. Looking to lose at least 28lbs for starters. Ideally lower but that's my target for the time being :smile: After many failed attempts at weight loss I'm hoping this time it really sticks, so food prep is key for me! So if anyone fancies going on this journey with me and giving advice etc it would be great :smiley:
  • gscott95499
    gscott95499 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would like a mentor please x
  • sunandstars2
    sunandstars2 Posts: 56 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Has found her noobs and is no longer accepting new applicants. :)

I would be happy to mentor between 3 and 5 people. I have been a member here for a few years, and even during times where I had met my fitness goal, I still use MFP to stay on track.
    I began my fitness journey at age 29 as a size 12. I am now 41 years old, and I am currently a size 4, weight is 130, and I go up and down in the 130-120 range (so I am currently working on losing 10 pounds). My workouts of choice are weight lifting and running. In the past few years I have ran 2 half marathons, and I worked with a body building trainer (lifting and meal plan) prior to my summer '14 wedding. At that time I was in the best shape of my life! Thru that training, I gained valuable knowledge on how to “eat to workout” vs. what most people do (workout so they can eat). I have learned the importance of the timing and content of meals for optimal metabolism and muscle building. Ladies, NO you will NOT bulk up from lifting! You WILL gain sleek toned arms, firm abs and a lifted butt! I know this now because I did nothing but cardio for months and slimmed down a little but never got toned. EVER.
    So, as you guessed it, "life happens" and I'm back to the grind, happily and faithfully applying what I learned before to get back in shape. If you are interested in having a friend to share workout tips and meal plan guidance, please add me and mention your fitness goals! I will accept if I’m able.

• sunandstars2
    Options
    Would love to connect with a knowledgeable mentor!

I'm 5' 6", and approx 134 pounds. My goals don't lie so much with weight loss as they do with strength. I plan on doing Tough Mudder this fall with my boyfriend. Currently my running ability leaves much to be desired, as does my upper body strength (which are the two most important things for an OCR like TM, I'm told). Currently working on revamping my workout routine, and thanks to some amazing MFP folks, I've constructed the following:

Sunday-- Yoga
    Monday-- Jogging [C25K]
    Tuesday-- Weightlifting [Stronglifts 5x5]
    Wednesday-- Jogging [C25K]
    Thursday-- Weightlifting [Stronglifts 5x5]
    Friday-- Jogging [C25K]
    Saturday-- Weightlifting [Stronglifts 5x5]

Would love any suggestions, and/or someone to just kick me in the rear when the going gets tough! PM/Add me!

Hi there, Our current goals sounds similar. If you'd like to add me, we can probably help each other! :smile:
  • merv243
    merv243 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'd be up for mentoring.

Mike, 26/m.

My main fitness activities are weight training and sports. At various times I have trained for strength and size with success. I have also had several successful cuts. I maintain a fairly rigid diet and workout routine and would be happy to share tips I've learned for a variety of goals. I'm also pretty knowledgeable about different routines people use for goals that don't match my own, so I could help with more than just what I am used to.

I think I would be a good match for any beginner or intermediate who is looking for help getting started or breaking through a plateau with their workouts or otherwise meeting their goals. I can help you weed through some of the conflicting "broscience" and present you with different approaches to meet your goals.
  • sunandstars2
    Options
    merv243 wrote: »
    I'd be up for mentoring.

I can help you weed through some of the conflicting "broscience" and present you with different approaches to meet your goals.

Ha!! Bro Science. Love it. :) I just learned what that is this week.
  • renanan311
    renanan311 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Where do I sign up to be a noob?
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi I am a noob looking to lose 12 lbs by May. I am looking for friends and/or mentor :) add me
  • Celestial_Song
    Celestial_Song Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a 39 yo female with 3 children whom I homeschool. I recently took a MRT Leap test and found out I have some food sensitivities that are causing inflammation in my body. I have been dealing with thyroid issues for the past 4 years or so and the MRT was taken in hopes to help my thyroid issues. So by doctor's orders, there are several foods I can't eat. I been following the Leap diet for the past few weeks which is very similar to Paleo. So I would love someone that is knowledgeable about Paleo. I need help getting motivated to exercise which is hard fitting in since my husband works nights and I homeschool during the day.

I appreciate your consideration.
  • laurahickman14
    laurahickman14 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hey, just looking for some new friends on here that can help keep motivated! Loved this app just over a year ago but let things slip - now im back on track :) feel free to add me for motivation back too
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    renanan311 wrote: »
    Where do I sign up to be a noob?

Directly to the person you want to mentor you. Contact them by private message by clicking on their username or avatar/profile pic. Good luck! :)
This discussion has been closed.