1200 Calorie Bottom Limit???????

Options

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Uuhh....I'm 4'8" and I eat way more than that. O.O
    Wait til you're 50 and in a desk job and trying to lose 10 lbs.

I'm 5'4" and not very overweight and an active day is maybe 1800 for me, a sedentary day might be under 1500.

Exercising off 600-700 calories a day doesn't sound terribly healthy. I'd rather skip the ice cream and extra cheese.

Interesting aside: Studies show that running 4 hours a week is as bad for you as being sedentary. :D

• KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I'm 5'4" and not very overweight and an active day is maybe 1800 for me, a sedentary day might be under 1500.

Exercising off 600-700 calories a day doesn't sound terribly healthy. I'd rather skip the ice cream and extra cheese.

Interesting aside: Studies show that running 4 hours a week is as bad for you as being sedentary. :D

I own and manage a working ranch-I don't see a desk job in my future. The height isn't what makes a calorie difference, it's sedentary vs active. Short sedentary people or tall sedentary people are still going to calculate needed calories based on weight and activity level-not height.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I own and manage a working ranch-I don't see a desk job in my future. The height isn't what makes a calorie difference, it's sedentary vs active. Short sedentary people or tall sedentary people are still going to calculate needed calories based on weight and activity level-not height.

I'm 5"8, sedentary,140lbs, age 42 and my maintenance is 1620 calories :grumble: :disappointed:

• WalkingAlong
    edited February 2015
    Options

Height does matter. Though activity level matters more. Age matters, too.

My point was that we don't all own ranches and spend the day on our feet so why is anyone else's "I burn X and I'm abc" comment pertinent? It's like a German Shepherd police dog bragging to a toy poodle about how much he can eat. Is one inferior? That's the implication, right? Or am I misreading what "Uuhh" and "O.O" mean?

• JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yes and I'm 5'4", 40 years old and a very small build and trying to lose 25lbs of unhealthily high body fat. I weigh 140lbs and maintain on 1500. In order to lose weight (slowly, not fast) the only way I can is to eat very low calories around 1000 per day or do a load of exercise. At the moment I'm in the position of being able to do that so I can eat around 1500 and still lose, but if I stop my weight loss will stall and I'll go into maintenance or start to gain.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I read that too, saw it in an English news source, might have been BBC, can't remember. Look it up I'm sure you'll find it. Conclusion was you shouldn't run for more than 2.5 hours a week.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    It's an estimate on AVERAGES. 4'9 is NOT average. >.< It's hard to get all your nutrients that you need when your calorie intake is so low. And YES. It is low. I am 5'2 and my BMR is just about 1700... and going to be dropping as I get closer to my goal. Being active is good for you, and so is eating back a little of those calories. I suppose if all you are concerned about is your weight, and not BF% or cardiovascular/heart health, don't give a damn about exercise and eat your maintenence.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Ahhh. Thanks for that jemhh - I've fiddled with the macros and everything else so much, I have no idea what the autoset would be. Is that why people think 1200 calories is the bottom limit for any adult human?

MFP used to give the message it now gives for below 1000 at below 1200. Lowering it is a recent thing. It's both of those together, plus 1200 being a common limit for non doctor monitored diets.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    1400 is your maintenance? Wow, are you sure you calculated that correctly?

Or are you 4'9"?

I'm 5'3, 125, and my maintenance would be 1531 if I were sedentary (which I am not--I'm eating over that to lose). So it's possible. (This is according to the K-McC calculation, but it seems consistent with my own numbers.)

I'd personally still not eat under 1200, though, just because at a certain point losing muscle mass seems more of a drawback than losing more slowly and lowering my maintenance more than necessary seems likely to make this unsustainable, for me.
  • kellysdavies
    kellysdavies Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    This post will be deleted. Tried to have this discussion on other threads but been accused of promoting unhealthy dieting. Eh? I'm just saying what I have to do in MY eXperience (and been doing it for a year now!) and what has led to my 1stone5lb weight loss so far!

Have said on 3 other threads I can only lose weight - and slowly still - like this week I haven't lost half a pound - by eating 1000 cals a day. I am 5ft 1. My BMR is pretty low as it is! And yes I weigh all my food and yes I calculate as perfectly as I can. Some people have been incredulous that this can be true. Refusing to believe I can't be hungry or I am moron and not *really* eating that few. But I am and I am eating really healthy and feel pretty content (will never not crave cake!). I feel more energetic than ever. Sleep really well and eat a very healthy and varied diet and don't feel deprived!

I don't know why it makes people so cross to believe that this work for some people! My doctor too said 1000 is fine for someone my height. I am 9stone3 and could still lose another 2 stone and be in my healthy weight zone but as it goes I'm not trying to get that low. With current weight loss it would take me two years to get there anyway!
    - And yes I do exercise and no I don't eat the calories back. 1000 - 1100 a day is what I have to do to lose at least half a pound a week. Never lost more than 2lb a week and that happens rarely anyway!
    - So good to see some fellow shorties post with the same experiences!
  • kellysdavies
    Options
    JAT74 wrote: »
    I read that too, saw it in an English news source, might have been BBC, can't remember. Look it up I'm sure you'll find it. Conclusion was you shouldn't run for more than 2.5 hours a week.

Ha ha ha. That is silly. Running as bad as sedentary. Okay....
  • kellysdavies
    Options

Just not true!
  • jvt63
    jvt63 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    5'2", age 52, and doing well on 1200, dessert included (a bowl of berries, nuked, with Fage, cinnamon, and a half-ounce of walnuts swirled in).

like a poster above, my diet is whole food and homemade (tonight i had a tilapia fishcake, coleslaw, and 1/2 cup Brussels sprouts). I love eating this way. you can eat a lot of excellent food for 1200 calories. I'm losing about a pound every two weeks, which is fine with me.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Ha ha ha. That is silly. Running as bad as sedentary. Okay....

Running more that 5-8mi per week can actually be bad for your heart... soooo...
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I found something in the Daily Mail, and then some additional sources discussing the same studies which supposedly say more than 20 hours per week is a negative (correlation, of course) with 5-19 being the "sweet spot," ideally at 6-7 mph.
  • tflyswagg
    tflyswagg Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 1200 I am 4' 11" and no, I do not always get to 1200 calories so do not feel like people are right/wrong. Do what works for your body. By no means am I deprived, eating healthier than ever sometimes you feel more satisfied.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    When I eat between 1000-1200 calories I'm miles away from my fat and protein goals. I don't know how people do it!?
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    This week's People Magazine "Body Watch" column is on Biggest Loser host Alison Sweeney. She eats 1050 calories a day, in maintenance. The dietician says her intake is "fine for someone watching her waistline but a little low for someone who exercises and isn't trying to lose weight", but otherwise approves.

I think last week was an actress maintaining at 1600 or so (Vivica Fox) and the week before some newswoman at around 1300. Usually they're around the 1400-1500 level, in maintenance, with frequent exercise, not particularly old.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    When I eat between 1000-1200 calories I'm miles away from my fat and protein goals. I don't know how people do it!?

I think I was hitting my protein/fat goals when I was doing 1200-1250. Not sure, as I was watching protein more than fat, but if so it was mainly because I was at about 100 grams of carbs.