What happens next?

Options
MiNiMoNkI
MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
Good morning my fellow MFP's. had a thought last night (dont worry it doesnt happen often), what the hell happens when you reach your target weight, i am about 6llbs away and although the weight loss is slowing down i cant imagine it will be much longer til i hit my goal. So my question to myself (its the only way i can be sure of a decent covnersation) what happens when i get there?

What will you all do? continue to be motived with your fitness and diet, or decide you have done it now and start slipping? will you stay on here ( if or one will, i hope) or will you feel youve built the confidence and self motivation you needed and head off into the sunset with your new beautiful body?

the thought of it being over (ok, not over over) is quite scary!

I just think its strange when you think about it, exactly what happens next?

Replies

• kenuk1
    kenuk1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Im heading the right way too, think I'll stay on and maintain to see what happens, then if all ok, probably stay on and see what happens some more as Im addicted lol!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I don't think when you hit your goal, anything ends. The hardest thing with weightloss is maintaining. You go into maintenance mode. I know I will be continueing to challenge myself physically.
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You go into "maintenance mode"!

(:

Congrats on almost reaching your goal!
  • ohdear1986
    ohdear1986 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i have been trying to maintain since friday and i am scared. i liked the control of losing the weight but now i have to chill a little and let things relax. eating the extra calories is killing me, and i seem unable to do it. i can't justify uping my calories. i am used to working it all out, for instance 51 calorie bread or 121 calorie bread (a slice) i have cut out butter totally etc. maintaining seems so much harder than losing the weight in the first place. need to adjust my mind set which is proving difficult.
  • cconeill
    cconeill Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It will never be over LOL You will always find something more that you want to do to improve yourself. Once you get there you can always try new things like right now I am doing a very low sugar I will do that for a week or so and then I will try something new maybe trying very low sodium. Just keep giving yourself new goals it does not have to be weight loss.
  • MiNiMoNkI
    Options
    i have been trying to maintain since friday and i am scared. i liked the control of losing the weight but now i have to chill a little and let things relax. eating the extra calories is killing me, and i seem unable to do it. i can't justify uping my calories. i am used to working it all out, for instance 51 calorie bread or 121 calorie bread (a slice) i have cut out butter totally etc. maintaining seems so much harder than losing the weight in the first place. need to adjust my mind set which is proving difficult.

Totally agree with you, when i hit my plateau the advice i kept getting was eat more!!! i found it so hard, i think thats why it taken so long to crack purely because i could justify doing it after working so bloody hard! i think you get into a midset and you cant convince yourself otherwise, in one respect its great that you can change your attitude so much, yet on the other hand, it can make you your own worst enemy x
  • MiNiMoNkI
    Options
    I don't think when you hit your goal, anything ends. The hardest thing with weightloss is maintaining. You go into maintenance mode. I know I will be continueing to challenge myself physically.

I appreciate your journey doesnt end, but that part of it does. Im thinking a lot about the maintenance side of things and wander how i will change my habits, i.e how many days a week i will exercise and how much i will up my calories. IM really looking forward to the next stage :)
  • kevin2406
    kevin2406 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm 3-4 lbs from my goal. I haven't started hitting the gym yet....only bike riding, pushups etc...so once my goal is reached I start work on toning up. I am thinking of possibly losing another 5 lbs and seeing how that looks. The main thing I'm worried about is maintenance eating. I'm so used to eating the way I am now I don't know how I'm going to eat more to maintain lol.
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Good morning my fellow MFP's. had a thought last night (dont worry it doesnt happen often), what the hell happens when you reach your target weight, i am about 6llbs away and although the weight loss is slowing down i cant imagine it will be much longer til i hit my goal. So my question to myself (its the only way i can be sure of a decent covnersation) what happens when i get there?

What will you all do? continue to be motived with your fitness and diet, or decide you have done it now and start slipping? will you stay on here ( if or one will, i hope) or will you feel youve built the confidence and self motivation you needed and head off into the sunset with your new beautiful body?

the thought of it being over (ok, not over over) is quite scary!

Maintenance!!!! It can take up to 9 months for your body to be comfortable at a new weight before it will stop trying to climb back up to your comfortable weight. Focus on that!!!!It is scary though and i still have a long way to go. Good for you for being so close to your goal....good luck!!!!

I just think its strange when you think about it, exactly what happens next?
  • joliejolie123456
    Options
    i'm one pound away from my goal but i've just set myself a slightly lower target as i'm not totally happy yet. i've gradually started upping the calories already so that when i need to start maintaining it will be a bit easier. im planning on staying on mfp for quite a while after so that i can keep track of how im doing but in the long run we will see how it goes. congratulations on your weight loss!
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    WHEN I FINALLY REACH MY GOAL....I AM GOING TO MAKE A NEW ONE...IT MAY NOT BE FOR WEIGHT LOSS BUT MAYBE TONING OR MAINTATINING MY WEIGHT (I WORKED TO HARD FOR THIS :smokin: ) MAKE A PLAN AND STICK WITH IT....DONT STOP!!
  • jodik11
    jodik11 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I plan on sticking with MFP forever. I think if I ever quit MFP I know that I would eventually go back to the old me who ate everything in site with no limitations and be overweight. I feel healthier and happier with MFP in my life.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I am nowhere near my goal. However, I am excited at the thought of getting there. And once I am there, I will be doing things to maintain my fitness level. I am hoping to find a form or forms of exercise that I can love and make into my new regular "hobbies". I also look forward to breaking my habit of using food to fix feelings. Your weightloss journey will come to an end, but hopefully your HEALTHY relationship with food will last a lifetime!
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I think I still have another 40 pounds to lose AFTER my goal weight. But at my goal weight I really want to start hitting the weights hard and building some serious muscle. I think I've gotten myself to a point where I really enjoy this lifestyle, but I can't wait for that hot dog with mustard, chili, slaw, and onions when I reach my goal weight. hahaha
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I plan on sticking with MFP forever. I think if I ever quit MFP I know that I would eventually go back to the old me who ate everything in site with no limitations and be overweight. I feel healthier and happier with MFP in my life.

That's my plan, too. This is a way of life, not a diet and I plan on continuing to eat properly and exercise regularly for the rest of my life.
  • MiNiMoNkI
    Options

That's my plan, too. This is a way of life, not a diet and I plan on continuing to eat properly and exercise regularly for the rest of my life.

I totally agree with you both, its a new way of life for me, and im really enjoying it
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It's so important to have another goal! Maybe it's to run a certain distance, or reach a certain body fat %, or something...but DON'T STOP! I reached my goal weight last summer, but then between getting married and school and work I fell off the wagon and now have between 8-10 lbs to lose again :( So keep eating smart, keep exercising, and keep making new goals for yourself to achieve! :)
  • Lami
    Lami Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Can I ask something though? Does MFP recognise when you're at your goal and advise calorie intake accordingly? I mean my 'ideal' weight has a pretty large range (40 lbs) and I'd be happy to be within the high end of that. I intend to keep up my Wii Fit and definitely my Pilates but I'm nervous about choosing my meals 'on my own' so to speak as I've seen the calorie content of foods that I have always considered to be 'super healthy'! I love love MFP for taking the guesswork and stress out of meal planning so I guess I just want reassurance that it will help me maintain.

Lami
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I will definitely go into maintenance mode and focus 100% of my efforts on increasing my strength and speed. I think even after I go into maintenance, my body will continue to burn off fat.

I'm thinking of upping my goal weight just so I can enter it sooner. :)
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm a couple of pounds away. Just starting eating back exercise calories so am already eating more than I was before. I tend to let it all go to pot once I reach goal - although I wasn't on MFP last time (or the time before.......etc.....). I'm going to stay with MFP and carry on logging food once I'm on maintenance.

Good luck everyone! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Sue :smile: x
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!