I deliver pizzas- Sedentary or Lightly Active?

Options
Editme12
Editme12 Posts: 71 Member
So, it's hard enough resisting the free pizza, but I'm not sure if I'm sedentary or lightly active. I work 3 days a week, ~8 hour shifts. During that time, I'll spend at least an hour in the store, preparing food (ie, pouring olives into a container), moving/or folding boxes before I start taking deliveries. Then, I power walk to my car, drive, walk to their door and back with the food, drive, then power walk back to the store. Any time I'm not driving, I'm on my feet. But, the majority of my day is taking deliveries. Any opinions?

Replies

• Jumanji9700
    Jumanji9700 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd say lightly. While you're working, you're either on your feet, or at least moving between car to customer and back...
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd say lightly. While you're working, you're either on your feet, or at least moving between car to customer and back...

I'm with the above poster, lightly active would be my guess.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Having been a delivery driver/supervisor waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy back in the day, I remember that job being anything but sedentary. I'd even go so far as saying it qualifies for active, if you worked more than 3 days per week. I think you're good w/ lightly active, based on what you listed above, though.

Best bet? Get yourself an activity tracker like a FitBit or similar. Though not 100% accurate, they would give you more perspective.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    sedentary means you sit at a desk for the majority of the day. def lightly active or above.
  • scannerjockey
    scannerjockey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'd say lightly - can you wear a pedometer during your shift one day? That might give you a better idea of how much moving around you do, and it might be more than you thought. I know I was shocked to find out that I walk half a mile every time I straighten up my apartment.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    It's probably lightly active, but why not guess conservatively and go with sedentary?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I always thought that calories you burn as part of your daily routine was just that. After all, you burn 60 - 80 calories when you sleep, so why not count that? I only count the extra calories I burn exercising at the Y or taking walks or other workouts.
  • melamlaw
    melamlaw Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could use a step counter to check your steps? You probably move than you think.
  • melamlaw
    melamlaw Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    melamlaw wrote: »
    Perhaps you could use a step counter to check your steps? You probably move than you think.

• Editme12
    Editme12 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I got a Jawbone Up Move, so hopefully it can tell me accurately what the heck I'm doing.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Editme12 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies! I got a Jawbone Up Move, so hopefully it can tell me accurately what the heck I'm doing.

You can learn more in the Jawbone UP Bracelet group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/13420-jawbone-up-bracelet

Your UP total burn is your TDEE (aka your maintenance calories). Your adjustments are the difference between your UP total burn & your MFP activity level. (Click on an adjustment to see MFP's math.)

No need to log step-based exercise—your Move is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) in the UP app or in MFP—never both. And enable negative adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to how active you are the other 4 days of the week. Like others here, I'd go with 'lightly active'. But if you don't get much activity on the other days, you may not see the loss you're expecting from the goals you set.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    See...now this makes me reconsider my activity level. I put lightly active but I'm definitely more active than that.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Lightly active.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    oldmomma wrote: »
    I'm curious as to how active you are the other 4 days of the week. Like others here, I'd go with 'lightly active'. But if you don't get much activity on the other days, you may not see the loss you're expecting from the goals you set.

I agree with this. I work retail 4 days a week and I had a really hard time setting my activity level because the other 3 days a week I'm not nearly as active. I got a Fitbit and discovered that on the days I work I walk between 3-5 miles a day. On the days I don't work I don't walk nearly that much. So I adjust my calories daily. On less active days I eat less and vice versa.

I finally started paying more attention to my calories on a weekly basis as opposed to a daily basis, making sure I hit my weekly goals. That seems to be working.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    i sit on my *kitten* at a desk all day and am therefore sedentary. i barely move. you are definitely not that.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    I work retail 4 days a week and I had a really hard time setting my activity level because the other 3 days a week I'm not nearly as active. I got a Fitbit and discovered that on the days I work I walk between 3-5 miles a day. On the days I don't work I don't walk nearly that much. So I adjust my calories daily. On less active days I eat less and vice versa.

I finally started paying more attention to my calories on a weekly basis as opposed to a daily basis, making sure I hit my weekly goals. That seems to be working.

Once you connect an activity tracker to MFP (like Jawbone UP or Fitbit), it doesn't really matter what activity level you choose—as long as you enable negative calorie adjustments:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Your default MFP calorie goal is your activity level minus your deficit. Once you connect a tracker, you get calorie adjustments which are your tracker burn (TDEE) minus your activity level. So you're eating TDEE minus your deficit.