Fitbit ? Yes/no which one !!

Options
So I was thinking about getting a fit bit, but I'm not sure on which one I want to get what which ones the best? Do you have one what are your thoughts and opinion it?

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have a flex and love it. The main reason I chose this model is because it is water resistant (I swim and take a water aerobics class). It gives me the info I need regarding steps, sleep, mileage, and calories burned. I eat back about 2/3 of the earned calories it gives me since no activity tracker is going to be exact regarding the burn.
  • ArmyVet92
    ArmyVet92 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have used several Fitbits over the last few years.. the Ultra, the One, the Flex, the Force, the new Surge (for a month) and now I am using the Charge HR which out of all of them is my favorite!! The Flex would be my 2nd favorite =) Fitbit's are just awesome.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ArmyVet92 wrote: »
    I have used several Fitbits over the last few years.. the Ultra, the One, the Flex, the Force, the new Surge (for a month) and now I am using the Charge HR which out of all of them is my favorite!! The Flex would be my 2nd favorite =) Fitbit's are just awesome.

I really wanted the Charge HR but it isn't water resistant :'(

• PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have the Surge. If I could do it over I'd get the Charge HR but the Surge is pretty good!
  • release_the_kraken
    release_the_kraken Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have a Surge..it is ok for steady state cardio but sucks at lifting.
    Go to their website and go into the Help section and read all about what users are posting. To get my Surge to record any decent HR is a hard thing to do..have to wear a wristband to lock it into place high on my arm. Fitbit HR algorithm is not quite right so this would apply to the Charge also.
    Basically if you are doing steady state cardio..you are good. Anything where your forearms are moving or your wrist is flexed (like spinning) not so much. Read all about it on the forums. I am waiting for a firmware update for the algorithm, hopefully soon. The last one made it even worse but fixed some GPS issues they were having.
  • UrnAsh_
    UrnAsh_ Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I really like my fitbit one. I like that it clips on and can't be seen. I also like how the more active I am the little flower grows. I just walk so it suits me well.
  • crackers8199
    crackers8199 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i had the flex, and got the charge HR when it came out (more so when i could find it, it took a few weeks and a ton of stalking a bunch of different stores to finally find one in stock)...love both of them. gave the flex to my wife when i upgraded to the charge HR...the heart rate monitor is surprisingly accurate, i verified it by wearing a chest strap for a few days (and during my runs). it's not perfect, but i didn't expect it to be...it's usually within 5-10bpm.
  • Kate5283kate
    Kate5283kate Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Love my One! Wear it clipped to my bra so as to avoid making a fashion statement.
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    For me the accuracy is great for regular cardio but terrible for lifting and heavy bag work. I didn't expect it to work for the heavy bag though :p The heart rate monitoring works great when I'm hiking and cycling which is what I got it for so I'm pretty happy with it. Plus I think it's cool to see what your heart rate is at when you're sleeping and working too.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I have fitbit zip it tracks your distance, steps and calories burned. I love it and it suits me as I am not very active and it just makes me walk a bit more. Love the dashboard and it syncs with MFP and automatically logs my calorie intake from there. It clips to my bra (or waistband if you prefer) It all depends on what you need from the gadget really.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have the charge hr--it is great for steady-state cardio as others have stated.-As for lifting,it is not that accurate but for that I don't need it to be. The HR is very accurate as I was in the Doctors office and showed it to her, and we compared her pulse rate machine to mine for over 5 minutes and it went up and down together. I now know I can trust it for steady-state.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I have the charge hr--it is great for steady-state cardio as others have stated.-As for lifting,it is not that accurate but for that I don't need it to be. The HR is very accurate as I was in the Doctors office and showed it to her, and we compared her pulse rate machine to mine for over 5 minutes and it went up and down together. I now know I can trust it for steady-state.

You sit still for steady state cardio? If not, your comparison at the doctor's office was meaningless.

• indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options

You sit still for steady state cardio? If not, your comparison at the doctor's office was meaningless.

NO-Read the post slowwwly. In the first sentence I say it is accurate for steady-state cardio. In a DIFFERENT sentence I say it was accurate in the Drs. office.

But considering I have "argued" with you in the past about your nitpicking ways,I say to you this is a fitness forum,not an english or philosophy forum. BUT like my dad always said
    consider the source
  • brianpperkins
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I did. The fitbit HRs are not holding up well in testing during real steady state exercise with 15-20% variances. As a source, you're 0 for 2.
  • MikeEarnshaw
    Options
    ... fit bit, but I'm not sure on which one ...

I have the Charge HR which whilst not water resistant is brilliant. Watching your resting heart rate improve over time, and the informative "heart zones" during exercise is a real motivator, and as the saying goes "your fitness is 100% motivation, your body won't go where your mind won't push it". Downside to Fitbit is no Australian food database, hence MyFitnessPal
  • LexytheNerd
    LexytheNerd Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have the surge. I love it dearly because before i purchased it I was wearing a flex and Polar FT7 HRM. The surge combines those two together.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    I have a Surge..it is ok for steady state cardio but sucks at lifting.
    Go to their website and go into the Help section and read all about what users are posting. To get my Surge to record any decent HR is a hard thing to do..have to wear a wristband to lock it into place high on my arm. Fitbit HR algorithm is not quite right so this would apply to the Charge also.
    Basically if you are doing steady state cardio..you are good. Anything where your forearms are moving or your wrist is flexed (like spinning) not so much. Read all about it on the forums. I am waiting for a firmware update for the algorithm, hopefully soon. The last one made it even worse but fixed some GPS issues they were having.

From DC Rainmaker's review of the Surge.
    If you don’t care about HR accuracy, then as a running GPS watch it’s OK.
    Cyclist: No, not at this time. I get neither accurate HR data outside nor accurate GPS data outside.

Narrow band, wrist worn optical HRMs have issues due to external light.
  • OaklandFan16
    Options
    Love the fitbit flex! I didn't need anything fancy. Just something to tracks exercise. I wear it all day and night.
  • LouiseK2015
    LouiseK2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love my Flex - it was free from Air Miles! My step goal and MFP calorie target work together so if I have a couch potato day, Fitbit subtracts available calories so I can have a low activity day and still work toward my weight loss goal.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Love my Zip--you can wear it under clothing, which means you can wear it ALL the time.

I think that a wristband would irritate the heck out of me, especially when sweating a lot.

The Zip doesn't have sleep tracking, but I've heard that the sleep tracking on the more expensive models isn't very accurate anyhow.