Eating back your workout calories.

Options
So I read that I am supposed to eat an hour after working out.... yet this puts me over at the 5 week mark ("you would weigh" such and such lbs. in 5 weeks). Is it really required? I do not see the point in always eating back what I work off ( plus I would weigh a lot more in that 5 week mark). I stay at 1200 and some days am less because of workouts. Some days I eat the cals back. What is the general rule, practice, etc.? Thanks!

Replies

• tpulliam381
    Options
    I don't eat back the calories that I have burned off from my work out. I just make sure that I eat the amount of calories that is suggest through MFP. My daily calories for my goal is 1650. I typically eat anywhere from 1500 - 1600. So when I work out and burned about 300 plus calories... I still stick with 1500-1600 calories and the rest is for weight loss. Hope this helps.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    "Whatever works for you."

Seriously. Whatever leaves you satisfied (not hungry all the time), is nutritionally adequate (total calories eaten >1200 at a *bare minimum* for small people), is enough so you don't pass out randomly from low blood sugar, and gets to to your goal of losing, maintaining, or gaining weight.

I try to eat back 50-100% of exercise calories depending on how confident I am in being able to calculate accurately how much I burned. ETA (1) because I like food (2) because it's okay with me to lose weight more slowly (3) because I like food. It's been working for me. :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    everyone does it different. when i am on 1200 calories, i will eat back every calorie i can! LOL im on 1800 now i think (which is still a deficit) and still losing and dont eat them back.

your body needs fuel, food is not the enemy. try different things and see how you feel and see how your weight loss is progressing.
  • LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I try to only eat when I'm hungry so some days I'll end up eating back my exercise calories and other days I don't. I wouldn't stress too much about having to eat an hour after working out. There's so much conflicting information out there about this, so I would suggest just listening to your body and if you're hungry after working out eat and if not don't.
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I eat mine back because my daily limit is only 1240 calories. If I didn't eat my exercise calories back I'd only be netting 700-900 calories per day - yikes!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    "eating back your exercise calories" is not the same as eating within an hour of your workout. It is possible to do either one without the other, to do both, to do neither.

That being said, I commonly see advice to eat (it could be a meal that is part of your eating plan -- doesn't necessarily mean extra calories) within an hour or so of working out because in theory your body may need some protein to repair and get stronger from exercise, but personally I think this sounds like dumb advice. It takes most bodies so long to digest and use protein from the time it hits our stomachs that it seems to make more sense to just make sure I get at least a little protein in all my meals throughout the day so it's pretty constantly available for repair.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    1200 provide your body with just enough nutrition.

You must see it like this
    you fill your car with fuel it can run the motor while its parked.
    Now you are going to race with your car...the motor needs more fuel!!!

I am not advocating a 1200 diet without any ( medical) guidance/support. But you should do it wisely and eat back at least 1/4 to 1/2 of your exercise calories. Your body needs the nutrition's
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. If you're hungry, those calories can be eaten and you're still in a deficit, (this is how MFP is designed). Generally, most eat half due to overestimation of burns.
  • KudraM
    KudraM Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I am losing when I do not eat calories back and not when I do. Part of it for me is age and hormones. I think it is a good idea to at least have a snack after exercising to refuel muscles (and of course tons of water). I tend to exercise late, so its nearly bedtime when I am done. I am still playing with it. I wish there were some scientific studies out there on eating after excising. Thanks everyone!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    KudraM wrote: »
    Thanks for all the input. I am losing when I do not eat calories back and not when I do. Part of it for me is age and hormones. I think it is a good idea to at least have a snack after exercising to refuel muscles (and of course tons of water). I tend to exercise late, so its nearly bedtime when I am done. I am still playing with it. I wish there were some scientific studies out there on eating after excising. Thanks everyone!

What do you use to estimate calorie burns, MFP or a heart rate monitor?
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Eating below 1200 (net) is not recommended for women. Make sure you are measuring and weighing correctly and that you are set up properly in MFP. How far are you from your goal weight?

As for eating back your calories, it really depends what you are burning. A half hour on the elliptical burning 250 calories is a lot different than an hour of trail running which can burn close to 1k. The more calories you burn the more important it is to eat back calories. If you create too much of a deficit you will become weak and tired all the time, cranky, headaches, etc. At least I know I do!

As far as eating after a workout. I can't give you an exact study, but I've heard enough doctors, trainers and dietitians say it that I do tend to eat protein after heavy workouts. Note it is within 20-40min of the workout to best utilize the protein. And again, your workout dictates how much benefit you would get out of it. An hour of heavy lifting require more muscle repair than a light 3 mile run.

I often have very late soccer games. I have a hard time eating after them. But I do drink a recovery drink after. And if I'm playing multiple games I make sure I eat more at lunch that day or the next day I'll want to eat my own arm off.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, everyone is different and you have to find what works for you.

To lose 1 lb per week, MFP has me at 1280 calories. When I do exercise I eat back half. However, I'm finding that I lose when exercising and eating back all or half. If I stop exercising and eat 1280 I completely stop losing. For me, the exercise seems to be the lynch pin.
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I try to get between 1800 - 2000 calories, and don't really worry about eating back my exercise calories. Most of the time I have to try to hit at least 1800 calories as it is! It's good to have the extra calories if you need them, though.
  • KudraM
    KudraM Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    @RGv2 - I am using MFP atm. Still deciding on fitbit, etc. since my HRM ring broke. Up for suggestions :smile:
    - Thanks everyone else. I like the idea of a small snack (or shake) for muscle recovery.
  • mavajo
    mavajo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I never recommend eating back your exercise calories.

In terms of eating after working out and meal timing, it's largely irrelevant. However, I would avoid going on an extended fast after muscle training. An hour or two -- fine, no biggie. But much beyond that, I'd suggest getting some food (preferably high in protein) in you. It helps your muscles recover and maintains lean mass. When I'm cutting, I can absolutely feel the difference in my muscle recovery depending on my average protein intake - if I've been slacking for a few days, my muscles scream at me; but when my protein intake is where it should be, this is largely mitigated. I shoot for 150g of protein per day, but I often operate on steep calorie deficits which just makes the protein all the more important.

Long story short, meal timing doesn't matter, but don't go too long after working out before getting some food (especially protein) in you.
  • KrisAZ000
    KrisAZ000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories a day and not eating back any exercise calories. Now I'm eating 1400 and eat back my exercise calories (which I round down to account for inaccuracies). My losses are the same either way, except now I get to eat more. So I think you should play with it until you find what works best for you.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    mom2ava07 wrote: »
    Like others have said, everyone is different and you have to find what works for you.

To lose 1 lb per week, MFP has me at 1280 calories. When I do exercise I eat back half. However, I'm finding that I lose when exercising and eating back all or half. If I stop exercising and eat 1280 I completely stop losing. For me, the exercise seems to be the lynch pin.

Same here. I could starve myself and not lose a pound, but when I exercise at least 90 minutes a day the weight drops off.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've lost 42lbs. eating back 1/2 to 2/3rds of my exercise calories. I never eat under 1260 cals per day on sedentary days and on days I exercise I eat between 1400 to 2000 depending upon calorie burn estimated with a heart rate monitor and a pedometer. MFP is designed for you to eat back your exercise calories otherwise you're not eating enough to fuel your body.