Letting your food diary be public

Options
Do you think by letting your food diary public helps you make better choices? Or do you just fib a bit on it....knowing people may judge you some what?? Just wondering? It really makes me think about what I eat because I want to be true to myself and others!

Replies

• Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I don't fib on my diary, the closest I get to fibbing is quick adding calories (which I do rarely).
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    The one reason I made my food diary public is so that if I ran into walls and asked opinions, people could view my diary and have ALL the info before commenting...

EDIT: I do not fib on my diary cause I want to know what I'v ingested and how it's made me feel, what I've lost etc... If I don't log it, then I'm just sabotaging myself in thinking that I am doing everything I possibly can when in reality I am continuing to be dishonnest... Gotta face the music at some point!!!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I think it holds you accountable. We've all "failed" at what we put in our mouths, so hearing that we did poorly helps to open our eyes. We all need help with what we eat.
  • cawfeesong
    cawfeesong Posts: 34
    Options
    I just write down what I eat and if they judge me...whatever lol.
  • Sheltie4
    Sheltie4 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It does not make me make better choices, but when I look at the end of the day I cringe some days. Especially if there are lots of glasses of wine!

I never fib - but sometimes there are lots and of entries!
  • cmw2011
    cmw2011 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My food diary is only public to my friends. There's a setting for that, if you want to keep it private except to your support system.
  • Angeladobush
    Angeladobush Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    :smile: I keep my food diary for my own use.....If I fib to my diary then I am fibbing to myself. I do keep it open for people to read but I only do that in hopes that it will be useful in some way to others. If I eat it I log it....it's that simple
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I never fib on the food diary...otherwise, what's the point of keeping it??
  • froggzy1015
    froggzy1015 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I think it holds me more accountable for what I eat. For the longest time I was going over my calories and I needed advice. Opening up my diary helped and I got the advice I needed to bring that number down a bit. I'm so happy with MFP, it really opened my eyes to what I was eating! :)
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I feel good about my diary being public because it kind of helps me make amends (to myself) for all those times when I've hidden my eating from others because I was embarassed/ashamed. I wouldn't lie on it because giving MFP inaccurate information wouldn't do anything but mess up MFP's plan for me.
    -LP
  • louell33
    louell33 Posts: 85
    Options
    I just put in whatever I eat. If ever I come to a plateau, then I know someone could go over it with a fresh pair of eyes and point out where I could be going wrong. :smile:
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    The only person you are cheating by 'fibbing' on your food diary is yourself; if anything I over-estimate rather than under-estimate...

My Diary is only viewable to my friends...
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    my reason for having a public diary is for feedback if I'm struggling. If I fib that defeats the purpose. Besides, fib or not I know what I've put in my mouth. I've even gone back the next day to add things that I munched on after shutting down for the night. I also like looking at other's diaries for food/recipe ideas. Helps me keep my menu fresh.
  • chattygirl2
    chattygirl2 Posts: 103
    Options
    Do you think by letting your food diary public helps you make better choices? Or do you just fib a bit on it....knowing people may judge you some what?? Just wondering? It really makes me think about what I eat because I want to be true to myself and others!
  • thebigboy
    thebigboy Posts: 8
    Options
    How do you go about making the food diary public? I have looked through the settings and just couldn't figure it out.
  • lesley12345
    lesley12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My food diary is public. I don't fib on it cause then I would only be lying to myself and the whole point of the food journal is to keep yourself in check. I need to become more diligant in entering my food, sometimes I skip a day of logging my food in, but it's usually because I might be eating the same stuff the next day and know what my calories are from entering it the previous day.
    I think mine is set for friends to view or it's public not too sure. LOL!
  • chattygirl2
    Options
    I think it holds me more accountable for what I eat. For the longest time I was going over my calories and I needed advice. Opening up my diary helped and I got the advice I needed to bring that number down a bit. I'm so happy with MFP, it really opened my eyes to what I was eating! :)
    I totally agree!! I never really "looked" at what I was eating, especially when it came to sugar!!
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Making my diary public or not has no effect on what I eat. My diary is open to friends, and that is mostly so they can see what I'm doing, take away ideas, or just note what I'm eating, etc. I lost weight (and now maintain) for myself, not for other people, so the only person I need to be accountable to is me. I've never fibbed in logging foods in my diary. If you're going to make things up, why bother keeping it at all?
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    If you bite it, write it!!! The motto to live by.
  • chattygirl2
    Options
    How do you go about making the food diary public? I have looked through the settings and just couldn't figure it out.
    If you go to foods, then settings at the bottom it will show different options to show your diary :)