Fitbit charge hr rash?

Options
So my wrist has broken out where my fitbit was.

Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Not me.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31438706

Happened with the Surge and Force, I can imagine it's not too uncommon to happen with the Charge, too.
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I haven't had that problem yet, but I make sure to take it off and clean it after I get sweaty, and to keep the skin underneath dry. Also, I'll move it around throughout the day so it's not always sitting in the exact same spot. Maybe try moving it a bit more?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    One of my FB friends sure did. She posted a picture. Ouch!
  • Jennwa
    Jennwa Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I started to get one at first, but then I found out that I was wearing it to tight. I took it off until the rash cleared up, and it cleared within a couple days. I now where it very loose on my wrist (slightly annoying) and put it up tighter on my wrist when I work out.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Jennwa wrote: »
    I started to get one at first, but then I found out that I was wearing it to tight. I took it off until the rash cleared up, and it cleared within a couple days. I now where it very loose on my wrist (slightly annoying) and put it up tighter on my wrist when I work out.

Yeah, I took it off all day today and the rash is clearing up. Gonna be more careful about washing and drying out after exercise.

I think I'm gonna start taking it off at night. The sleep tracking is a waste of time anyway IMHO.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Are you allergic to nickel? The plates on bodymedia bands and fitbit bands that touch your skin are made with nickel. Have you ever had a rash from costume jewelry? If so, that is likely the culprit.
  • dougpconnell219
    Options
    I wore it for a month with no issue, so I doubt it.

Never worn much costume jewelry, being a guy and all.

I think I just had it too tight and got sweaty.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Allergies can happen out of nowhere. and the longer you expose yourself to the allergen, the worse they get. If I were you, I would take the band off and see your doctor before putting it back on. You really want to make sure it is not a reaction.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    It may be too tight and then the moisture from working out gets trapped between your band and your wrist. That was an issue with some people who had the flex.
  • dougpconnell219
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Allergies can happen out of nowhere. and the longer you expose yourself to the allergen, the worse they get. If I were you, I would take the band off and see your doctor before putting it back on. You really want to make sure it is not a reaction.

The main area that broke out was behind the face, on the opposite side of my arm. The area around the buckle is fine.
  • kiki_anitoni
    kiki_anitoni Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I actually read an article about this very topic. People with those fit bits getting rashes. The company just says you're probably wearing it too tight and to make it looser. That seems like too easy of a fix. Good luck. My husband has one and he doesn't have any issues with a rash.
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot about people getting rashes from their FitBit, but I've been wearing mine for over a month and have had no issues.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My wrist does where my surge was on my left hand. Definitely not a metal allergy since it's both sides of my wrist where the rubber touched (no metal there).

I think I was wearing it too tight though. I've switched wrists and I'm wearing it a lot looser now. We shall see if it happens again. If it does then I'm going to contact fitbit, because I must be allergic to something in the band.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Your having an allergic reaction to the metal back plate (I read a story about it online a while ago, about some folk not being about to wear fitbits due to reactions to the backing plate.) I used to put clear nail polish on the back of my cheap watches to stop it from happening, but you have to re coat it, every now and then as the polish will wear off.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're having an allergic reaction to it.
  • BingeNinjaNate
    BingeNinjaNate Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have a rash on the underside of my wrist where the band meets the buckle.

q5755c7pbmcx.jpg

I switched wrists before going to bed and woke up with this after about 6 hours on the new wrist.

67606CBB-EAB4-4CAC-BDC5-0D7AC50A751D.jpg
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have a rash on the underside of my wrist where the band meets the buckle.

q5755c7pbmcx.jpg

I switched wrists before going to bed and woke up with this after about 6 hours on the new wrist.

67606CBB-EAB4-4CAC-BDC5-0D7AC50A751D.jpg

Mine irritates me in exactly the same place but only occasionally! Weird!
  • Smamfa
    Smamfa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have the flex and had a rash definitely caused by wearing it too tight. Since loosening it I haven't had a problem
  • BrownSheep
    BrownSheep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My daughter got a rash from her Fitbit Charge HR. She is going to loosen it and see what happens. Hopefully, that will be the fix and she can continue to use it. If nickel is an issue with these devices, I probably will not be able to use one.