I just cant do this

Options
Its not happening. I'm exercising more than I have in about 3 years. I'm eating healthier. The scale just keeps going higher and higher! I have had absolutely no weight issues until I gave up smoking in January. I've even had 3 kids but was fine with myself until bye-bye nicotine. I have trouble getting enough water/fluids and I'm aware that I started evening snacking (to replace after dinner smokes, I guess). I'm just sooo discouraged right now.

Replies

• lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're not eating enough?
  • tigertown11
    tigertown11 Posts: 310
    Options
    I agree with you may not be intaking enough calories. Or your body is at a plateau right now and needs a change. Try less exercise for a little bit while maintaining your calories. Just for 4-5 days and see if there is a difference.
  • KaraHB
    KaraHB Posts: 9
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked?
  • Lisone
    Lisone Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Stop the after dinner snacking. Those are just empty calories that are sitting in your stomach, going nowhere while you sleep. The fastest way to gain weight as far as I'm concerned! Those pounds will go straight to your butt!! Don't give up! You CAN DO IT!. and remember, Rome wasn't built in a day.
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could open your diary and we can give more specific advice?
  • ChirishGirl
    ChirishGirl Posts: 111
    Options
    You can do this! I know the feeling - I started re-vamping my kitchen and cooking habits over a month ago, started working out and walking more 3 weeks ago and I've lost 4 lbs. I'm FINALLY starting to see little changes in the mirror. It takes time my friend (and I am so not a patient person...LOL)

Think about it - they say it's harder to quit a smoking habit than a heroine habit. You already beat that (haha the smoking that is)... you CAN do this!

:) Kim
  • ProjectSara
    ProjectSara Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I quit smoking after a decade, and my weight increased ~15 lbs, which encouraged me to exercise more, eat healthier, and the weight is gone now! And everything about my life is better. It takes persistence and patience.

The problem is not that you're not eating enough: http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html

I would cut out the night time snacks. Remember, baby steps!

You can do it!!!
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough water? How's your sodium intake? Maybe open up your diary so others can help you. Don't get discouraged. If you're going to the gym and eating healthy then you're getting healthier even if the scale isn't moving. My dr has always told me that my weight is not her concern, it's my activity level and how healthy I feel. Take it one step at a time and you'll succeed.
  • NNsMomma
    NNsMomma Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Temporary issue. Smoking is nasty, CAUSES cancer among other things, super bad influence on your children besides exposing them to smoke. I think the trade off is well worth it.
  • EatDrinkandbeSkinny
    EatDrinkandbeSkinny Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You need to get enough liquids!! thats a huge and important part of dieting, your body just doesn't function the same when its dehydrated Also a lot of the time that you think your body is telling you that your hungry, you are really just thirsty... could your weight gain be muscle?Are you measuring yourself along with weighing yourself?
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am forever asking - could you be putting on muscle ? (all the working out). Also, as muscle is building there is water retention, that is a double gain. I flipped this week because my weight went up, then I remember that my training increased. If my weight hadn't gone up that would have been a very bad sign that I was losing muscle instead of gaining it. Of course, I am "shrinking" and soon my weight will drop at a higher rate. Hang in there. The alternative is getting bigger and more unhealthy, not like you have a choice right? Your kids will really appreciate it and have a great example of how we have to fight to keep or gain a healthy body! You go MOM!
  • bethany7687
    bethany7687 Posts: 44
    Options
    Don't give up. Just some thoughts. How old are you? Wgt loss gets more difficult in our late 40's. Where are you in your cycle? Make sure you're eating enough protein and fat which keep you full and satisfied. I quit smoking on Thanksgiving so I know where you're at. The other thing is you posted that you're trying to lose 20lbs. When we only have a small amount to lose, loss will be slow. With that being said, you said you're not losing anything. Weight loss is accomplished by eating fewer calories than we burn. It's that simple. So take a good look at your plan and see where you can improve and...water water water. Good luck and check back in.
    Bethany
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I must be the only one who hasnt put weight on through quitting smoking??
  • tigertown11
    tigertown11 Posts: 310
    Options
    I think you are the only one I have ever heard of that has lost weight after smoking!:love::flowerforyou:
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    I would suggest talking with your doctor but definitely don't go back to smoking and don't stop eating healthy and exercising.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    open your diary so people can see your food choices...you'll get better feedback

when I hit plateaus, I try to keep my carbs under 100g for the day...might try lowering your carb intake!
  • naturechyld
    naturechyld Posts: 35
    Options
    oh my gosh! I left yesturday after posting my little whine-fest here and didn't realize how much great advice (and most importantly the SUPPORT!!!!) I was getting. I am seriously almost in tears over you all trying to help me thru when you don't even know me. I guess I need to add "lack of support at home" to my list. I didn't even realize...
    I don't know how to open my diary. I use MFP exclusively from my smartphone as I don't have computer access. Anyone know how Id go about that?
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Heh...this is a great place for support, isn't it? :)

Hang in there. Eating right/exercising has benefits beyond the scale. I think a chat w/ your doctor is also a really good idea, just to make sure nothing else is going on.
  • propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Click my home on the top of this screen, then click profile on the left side of the screen... there is an option to make your diary public... click that... wala
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You say you are eating healthier, which is awesome, but are you eating too many (or too few) calories? You say you are exercising more than you have in 3 years, but are you burning off more calories than in take in? Changing your exercise and eating habits is hard and I'm sure quitting smoking at the same time can't be much fun. But if you stick with it you will eventually see results. It simply is not possible to eat the right amount of calories and get the right amount of exercise and not eventually get to a healthy weight. If you are really struggling perhaps you should check with doctor for solutions.