Nervous to lift heavy weights (like barbells)

2»

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    zipa78 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    There is a distinct difference in form (for me and many others) between broom/bar and body weight only.

I'm sure there is. Most often though the BW squat will resemble the barbell squat, whereas the broomstick will result in a much more upright posture.

If you hold a broomstick in the same manner you would hold a bar to squat, how does the BW squat resemble a barbell squat more than squatting with a broomstick?

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    If you hold a broomstick in the same manner you would hold a bar to squat, how does the BW squat resemble a barbell squat more than squatting with a broomstick?

Well, I've never had a 400 lbs broomstick to experiment with, but with a normal broomstick my back is pretty much perpendicular to the ground, whereas doing bodyweight squats (with my arms extended in front of me) I lean forward more.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Well, I've never had a 400 lbs broomstick to experiment with, but with a normal broomstick my back is pretty much perpendicular to the ground, whereas doing bodyweight squats (with my arms extended in front of me) I lean forward more.

The position of the stick will still force you into a similar enough of a posture.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    (*)
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    - Should I try and use the barbell alone? (I've tried before and it was pretty heavy without any weighs on it!)

That's what I did. Depending on your gym, they might have women's Olympic barbells, which are slightly lighter (15 kg instead of 20 kg, I think) which might help too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    There is a distinct difference in form (for me and many others) between broom/bar and body weight only.

I'm sure there is. Most often though the BW squat will resemble the barbell squat, whereas the broomstick will result in a much more upright posture.

mine doesn't...

but my bar only squat is very upright as well. Which is why I'm saying practice with A bar- of any weight- which means- broomstick if you have nothing else.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 305 Member
    Try goblet squats. Easy to do, hard to screw up. They'll teach you proper squat mechanics that transfer directly to barbell squats.
  • SammyGold12
    SammyGold12 Posts: 12
    edited February 2015
    My two cents to add to the confusion.

I've opted for dumbbells instead of barbells. I feel safer when I'm home alone. They don't hurt my wrists as much. And I've found lots of great dumbell workouts to hit pretty much every muscle.

Stay safe!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Thank you all for your advice :) maybe I will practice my squat form with no weights first and build up to the bar :)

Only issue there is the form is different with the bar. I would suggest at a minimum you use a broom handle or somehting
  • Georgemarchughes
    Georgemarchughes Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2015
    I swear by Mark Rippetoe's starting strength. His explanations of how to properly squat (and all the other exercises) are brilliant and after a year of it I increased my squats from 60kg to 135kg :) and toned my legs and butt up immensely :)
  • suejersey
    suejersey Posts: 36 Member
    So much helpful information in this thread!
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    When I started out oh I struggled lifting that heavy bar but I kept at it and sure enough within about 2-3 weeks I was able to add weight. Same with squats, it was a huge struggle and the bar resting on my shoulders hurt but I stuck with it and have since added weight to the bar. The squat and bench machines in my gym have a spot/side rail kind of thing on the side, so even if my arms give out and I can't push it back up, I can drop it on the side rails and it will stop the bar from falling on me. A lot of people at my gym don't use this safety feature but I sure do! Same with squats I use the side rail safety feature. Once you build up your stability muscles you will be able to balance better and not be shakey or wobbly. My left arm was very weak when compared to my right arm but now they have the same strength.

Squats were very tricky for me in the beginning because I felt very wobbly and not as stable as others. I also felt like I couldn't go as low as people in videos but it finally dawned on me that depth comes with time and sure enough I can dip down to where my thighs are parallel with the floor or slightly lower. Be patient but stay persistent :)

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Almost any lift can be modified to use dumbbells. But your gym should have standard plates and a standard bar. Just use a standard bar with some light weight plates.