kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I plan on making this recipe tonight:

http://annkroeker.com/2008/03/25/overnight-crockpot-steel-cut-oatmeal/

I like this idea as I plan to have them for breakfast every morning, but don't want to run the crock pot every night. I'll probably make a weeks worth at a time.

I plan on putting frozen sliced strawberries in mine, but the apple pie breakfast one mentioned earlier sounds really good as well.
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've done it but it made so much and I am the only one to eat it, so it only lasts so long in fridge and reheating isnt that great,
    just makes it fresh each morning when I decide to have it, but do love steel cut oats. McCanns we get here.
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    I buy the Bob's Steel Cut Oats, in the baking aisle, and they are like $3.00 a bag and each bag has like 15 servings in it...so it's actually cheaper than that instant goo...i make 4 servings at a time, because it takes like 15-20 minutes to make on the stovetop, then i refrigerate it and eat it daily!
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options
    I have always been put off by the price....why do steel cut oats cost more than rolled? Are they worth the extra money? I always buy the Old Fashioned rolled oats. What is different abou the steel cut oats aside from the price? Thanks to anyone who is willing to take the time to answer. :flowerforyou:

Steel cut oats (aka groats) are only $1/lb at a bulk food store. They taste a zillion times better than the rolled oats and aren't as mushy (my opinion anyways) :bigsmile:
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options
    Oh and I just cook mine on the stove top, takes 45 minutes. I just make a big batch on Sunday and split it up in containers for the week. Then I like to add 1 tablespoon light hershey syrup and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter to each container. Tastes like a big cookie :happy:
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I have always been put off by the price....why do steel cut oats cost more than rolled? Are they worth the extra money? I always buy the Old Fashioned rolled oats. What is different abou the steel cut oats aside from the price? Thanks to anyone who is willing to take the time to answer. :flowerforyou:

Steel cut oats (aka groats) are only $1/lb at a bulk food store. They taste a zillion times better than the rolled oats and aren't as mushy (my opinion anyways) :bigsmile:

I was initially put off by the price as well, but then I realized that I would be consuming half as much in the morning, so it's actually cheaper. I haven't seen them at Sam's club, but haven't really looked either.

I had my first bowl this morning and it was good. I put mine in the crock pot last night, accidentally slept for 10 hours, and they were still good. I put a half cup of strawberries and a cup of milk in with it as well.
  • WVBayouGal
    WVBayouGal Posts: 45
    Options
    love this idea!!
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    mmm, sounds great. thanks for the breakfast idea!
  • megansmom311
    megansmom311 Posts: 168
    Options
    Sounds delicious! :wink:
  • nburns325
    nburns325 Posts: 174
    Options
    bump, just got some and can't wait to try them!!!
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I've been eating steel cut for breakfast for a while now, they are great.

I add 2 scoops of vanilla whey powder, a tbs of honey, a tsp of cinnamon and a tbs of flax oil and I get a huge portion of my daily protein and a lot of daily macros plus it keeps me full and satisfied until lunch.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Coach's Instant Steel Cut Oats - yum!

I order these online - they're actually cheaper than McCann's (even with shipping costs!). They cook in about 5 minutes. Nice texture.
  • bugginbri
    bugginbri Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I bought Quaker brand steel cut oats today...much cheaper than McCanns too.