Treadclimber vs Treadmill which to get?

Options
Hi everyone,

Need your thoughts. I know nothing about Bowflex Treadclimbers or what kind of treadmill to look at. But just know I'm done standing in line at the gym somedays for a treadmill. When I can I walk outside which I've heard is better for you :)

I want a good piece of equipment, but have conflicting reviews on the Treadclimber vs the treadmill. It is more preference, options etc.?

If you have one or both please let me know the kind of treadmill you have and why you love, like or hate the dang thing :)

Thanks!
Brenda

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Definitely preference! The right answer is always, get the machine you will use.

For *me*, the treadclimber is much more limiting than a treadmill. It seems to work "right" only in a very narrow range of speed. Treadmill I can amble, walk, jog, or sprint. But then the one treadclimber at my gym is *always* full, so I guess some people get a lot out of it!
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Personally if it was my choice, I'd go with the climber but haven't done the research. It just seems like it works better to me.
  • BrendaPetersen
    BrendaPetersen Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi Cheshirecatast..... what type of treadmill do you have?
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Hi Cheshirecatast..... what type of treadmill do you have?

Oh, I don't have the space or the money for one of my own (sadly). My gym has Precor equipment.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    ad you said, it is a matter of preference. I have a treadmill. My husband and I chose a lower budget treadmill, Horizon T101. We have given it a lot of use and it is still is holding up. It definitely doesn't feel as solid as the ones at the gym but it gets the job done.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I bought a Sole treadmill and use it frequently. I alter between HIIT/Leslie Sansone DVDs and treadmill. The Sole was rated one of the best, I did do my research. B)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    My favourite treadmill is the street outside my house. More realistic too....
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    My favourite treadmill is the street outside my house. More realistic too....
    Yep, mine even has hills and such...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd just walk/run outside and spend the money on some other workout equipment.
  • BrendaPetersen
    Options
    I love the outside also and know it is the best...but I have a health condition that doesn't let me be outside at times or even around other people so best I can do is get a machine for those times of my life :) Thanks!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Treadmill allows more variety. Treadclimber does not do anything special--there is nothing magic about it. The commercial calorie claims are dishonest--and trust me I know.

I don't recommend specific brands because I am an equipment snob who is willing to pay a premium for what I want and I'm sure there are cheaper options that most people would be happy with.
  • BrendaPetersen
    Options
    Azdak :) We think a like for equipment snob stuff ;) thanks!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Treadmill. Because unless you're willing to pay $5k for a climber, you're going to get something that's overly complicated and prone to break down
  • tshaner329
    tshaner329 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a tread climber and have found my lower back aches when I am done with my workout. I definitely have not seen the results noted in the commercials either. Although having to hold on when I am at a faster speed has helped my arms.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    If I want to do the stair mill, I just go to the mall and use the escalator. Then I get a good run when security chases me.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a treadmill because you have more options available to you: slow walk, jog, sprint, and you can up the incline to simulate the "hills" that you would be walking on while on a tread climber. Plus, you may be able to buy a top of the line treadmill and other workout equipment for the price that you would pay for the price of a top of the line tread climber.

I have a Sole E25 elliptical and love it! I would suggest that you check out the Sole products.
  • AshleyClark122
    AshleyClark122 Posts: 23 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am 63 and recently purchased a treadmill. It is an in-expensive one, and the reason I purchased a treadmill is like everyone has stated, you can do more with it.

I tried one of those tread climbers, and no thank you. I cannot freely swing my arms for one has to be holding on. I use a small light weight for each wrist, it just straps on the wrists, to help with the upper body while I walk to music, doing interval walking.

I could walk outside, but I am new at this and there are no sidewalks out here, unless you walk the black top of the street, and some people will not drive around you. I prefer the treadmill to outside walking due to a lower back injury I received back in 2004, and had surgery for in 2005, which is another reason I use a treadmill, for the evenness of what I am walking on.

The machine I have is a Gold's Gym with an automatic incline and I really love it. Hope that helps.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Put your treadmill on an incline, will be the same thing as the climber.
  • BrendaPetersen
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will be getting a GOOD treadmill :)
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    We owned a Treadclimber once and mainly used it locked in place as a treadmill. It wore out pretty quickly. Fortunately, it was still under warranty, and once operational, I sold it. We've had a good treadmill since and haven't ever had any problems. The Treadclimber is a good workout, though as others have mentioned, a treadmill does offer more variety.

Because I was 330 pounds when I started getting serious about my health again a few years ago, we needed a machine with a high weight limit. We had great luck with our Sole F80. It's got over 2500 miles on it!