Losing 30-40 lbs by June?

Options
Is that a reasonable amount to lose in that amount of time or is it too much? I gained that much weight over about 2 years and have been working out 4-5 days a week for about 1 month. I feel like I'm not seeing results but it's probably because I'm clueless when it comes to proper nutrition. Help me out please!

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot of weight to lose in general, like 100-200 lbs, then it might be doable. If you need to lose a total of 30-40 lbs, then no, this is not realistic. Something in the range of 2-4 lbs per month would be a more reasonable goal. Weight loss will come from restricting calories, exercise will help you feeling better, stronger and not losing muscle along with fat.
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Depends. By the end of June or the beginning? You are looking at a loss rate of 10+ lbs a month, and while that's possible, it's not easy. More importantly, it's less important to lose fast than to lose and maintain. For that, it's important not to deprive yourself of foods you like (but moderate them and log them), exercise (without killing yourself), and make lifestyle changes you can stick with and not just "diet" for a few months.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds in three months for my son's wedding back in 2007. Gained it all back plus some. Now I'm losing weight for ME, and it's coming off about at that rate. But this time I won't gain it back.
  • sncoombs
    Options
    If 1lb of fat is 3500 calories, and you want to lose 4lbs of fat a week, then you need to burn 2000 calories PER DAY more than you eat! So it probably isn't a realistic goal!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Not. Gonna. Happen.
  • AdannaIkoli2015
    AdannaIkoli2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Doable but not advisable
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Well there are 16 weeks left until the middle of June. So if you are very obese with a lot of weight to lose, I think its possible to hit 30 safely. Thats just slightly less than 2 lbs/week. But there are a lot of "ifs" that would make it so. You'd have to have a lot of weight to lose (75+lbs), be ready to commit to weighing, measuring, and logging food diligently, eating within a restricted calorie budget, and be amenable to 30 by late June. If you fit all that, I think its challenging, but safely possible.

Regardless, you admit you are clueless about nutrition. Check out the stickies on the top of this page. You can learn a lot there about how to get started, and even if you don't or shouldn't hit 30 by June, you'll still accomplish something and be closer than you are today.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You only have 45 pounds to lose, so not advisable. The question is, why the rush? Wouldn't you rather lose it in a sustainable way, so you can keep it off?
  • laura_c628
    laura_c628 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm don't think I'm considered obese but I could be wrong.. however I'm definitely the heaviest I've ever been, a size 10 at 170lbs and only 5'3". Also, I'm not in a huge rush but I'd like to be in shape by my birthday which is June 28th. I'd be pleased if I could at least reach 25 lbs which seems doable but 30-40 would be ideal