Stupid questions incoming *alert*

Options
TGIF!

Ok so the information I hear seems to be like this.
Calorie deficit=weight loss
Calorie at maintenance=stable weight
Calorie surplus=gain weight

Calorie deficit=can't gain muscles

So if your trying to gain muscles are you forced to walk a tightrope to maintain your weight? Or do you have to be in a slight surplus as in gaining fat too?

Just curious. Do people gaining muscles constantly go through a cycle of gaining fat and muscle then maintain the muscle while losing the fat?

Confused and curious.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Most do bulk/cut cycles, so periods of gaining weight (muscle and fat) and then periods of calorie deficit. Some might "recomp" eating at maintenance while lifting, but that would be slooowo gains. if any.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I don't know a lot about this subject, but I do know that beginners have the best shot of loaing fat and gaining muscle at the same time.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    TGIF!

Ok so the information I hear seems to be like this.
    Calorie deficit=weight loss
    Calorie at maintenance=stable weight
    Calorie surplus=gain weight

So if your trying to gain muscles are you forced to walk a tightrope to maintain your weight? Or do you have to be in a slight surplus as in gaining fat too?

Just curious. Do people gaining muscles constantly go through a cycle of gaining fat and muscle then maintain the muscle while losing the fat?

Confused and curious.

There are outliers to the general rule that have a different experience ..noobs and teenage males for example can get gains in a defecit ..as stroutman put it down to "wonky voodoo"

In general, progressive lifting as you lose weight is great, to be honest you will have developed muscle carrying round a few extra hundreds of pounds of fat, the trick is to preserve as much as possible.

When adequately lean either recomp at maintenance ...slow and tortuous process or go for bulk and cut cycles accepting that muscle and fat gains will mean another eating at defecit cycle. I wouldn't bulk at a high body fat though
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    TGIF!

Confused and curious.

It's an over simplification. There is no magic switch that get's thrown at maintenance or one calorie deficit or surplus.

Everyone will have a point at which their calorie intake cannot support the growth of new muscle but that point will vary according to the individual:
    New to weights, returning after a break, age, genetics, training, fat percentage, current training status.....

Not everyone does, or needs to do, bulk/cut cycles - depends on goals.
    I've never felt the need. Recomp can be complex (meal timings, calorie cycling etc.) but doesn't have to be. I just train, eat a normal diet and get on with living my life.

• carolinemcleggan
    Options
    Carb b4 exercise and protein within an hour after. Make sure ingest enough protein in your diet or U will loose muscle. U can use high protein foods and protein shakes too. Chia seeds and quinoa R good. Good luck
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Bulk and cut is one option. Eating a high protein diet at a slight (say 10%) surplus is another.

Serious question: isn't eating lots of protein at a small surplus the "ideal" bulk (the way a lot of people talk)? Or is your point more, some people bulk and cut, others just bulk and are satisfied with the final result, no need to cut?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The only reason anyone wouldn't be able to gain muscle while in a deficit is that they aren't providing themselves with enough of the right building blocks to build muscle. We would expect that a person would build muscle most efficiently while eating at a small surplus, because they will be gaining weight as they put on muscle.
  • jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I am gaining muscle at a slight deficit, whilst also losing weight. I find what is working for me is increasing protein and fat to be a higher ratio of my macros. Not saying that will work for everyone, but for me....I have definitely increased muscle size, not just definition, whilst at deficit. Not a great deal though, it is only a small muscle gain, but a gain nonetheless. So it is possible.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Cut
    Eat a lot of this
    CHicken-Breast_0006.jpg

Bulk
    Eat one of these (Arby's met mountain)
    meatmountain-cross.jpg