Oh dear - starting to think this is never going to happen fo

Options
torsaer
torsaer Posts: 211 Member
Hello. I'm fairly new to the forums though have been lurking around here for quite a while! I think it's time to introduce myself and to ask for your help. I have a major family summer holiday coming up at the end of July and that is my 'goal'.

Today I tried on three pairs of trousers I'd ordered from M&S. I live in the UK so bear with the sizes. In my skinny days I was a size 8, no problem (I think this is a US 4). These trousers ranged from size 8 to 10 and none of them fitted. My thighs were way to big and they looked awful. I feel rather despairing and wonder if I'm ever going to get back to the me I want to be.

So some background: I'm 45, mother of 3 children, 5 ft 3 and about 9 stone and a few pounds - probably 130 lbs, a bit vague because I hate weighing myself so never really know exactly. I would LOVE to get back to my skinny happy weight of 8 stone and a bit - say 112 pounds. (IN my skinny days I always knew what I weighed, because I didn't mind weighing myself!!)

I reckon I do lots of exercise - swim, walk dog, gym, interval training etc. If I'm honest my downfall is probably eating between meals and sugar, in the form of chocolate, mostly. I've strated logging food here for the past few days and it's amazing how quickly the calories mount up.

I've been really impressed by the success stories here, and the support that you all give each other. My question is - do you think it's possible for me to get down to my goal weight (which I haven't been for about 4 years!) in time for my major summer holiday in the Caribbean - end of July? And what would be the best way to to it?

Replies

• runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I love this site. I have only been using it for 3 weeks now but I have lost every week. I follow the 1200 calories and don't always eat all my calories gained by exercise.

I am 5 lbs down and still have a lot more to go. For exercise I do workouts at Curves on T, TH and Sat. Couch 2 5K on M, W, and Fri with Sunday being my only off day.

Keep in mind you didn't put it all on overnight so it won't all come off overnight. I think if you stick to the lose 2 lbs a week calories you should come pretty close, if not hit your goal.

Good luck!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    It sounds very doable. Track your calories. Find some substitutions for the foods that you must have and keep up your activity level. You can do it!:smile:
  • Joanne4494
    Joanne4494 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi im in my second week now and lost 5lb I was over the moon when the scales said that, Im from the UK also so feel free to add me as a friend if you want.

Its definatley worth a go you will never know unless you try,

I hope it works for you best of luck.

Joanne x
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I think 120-125 is more than an acceptable weight for a 45 y/o mother of three...srry to say that but I think 112 is looking sort of Calista Flockhart or Nicole Ritchie...wayyy to small....
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    i agree you can do his

this site is amazing for logging everything and getting great advice

x
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    ok first off 5'3" at 130 lbs is not a bad weight. i'm 5'1" and 115 lbs on me was just right, not to big and not too skinny. you are 2"s taller than me so 120 lbs should be your low end. 113 lbs may be a little too skinny i think for someone your height. 120 lbs can be reached by July if you work at it. open your diary so we can help you out better. the choices that you make with your food will play a big roll with your weight lose. too much processed foods and such.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi Torsare,

I'm a 42 year old mother of 3, and agree that your aim of 112lbs may be too little for you now. I need to lose about a stone (ideally 21lbs!) before August but don't seem to be able to get my head round it. As the 'boss' at work (and because I was starving despite eating breakfast) I couldn't refuse the birthday muffin that someone gave me (their birthday not mine) and stood while I ate it! So that's 280 calories wasted.

I think that once you get past 40 it becomes much easier to gain weight and harder to lose it!

My tip? Do loads of exercise, especially arms to avoid bingo wings, and forget about the scales!

Blobby
  • torsaer
    torsaer Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your advice! How do I open up my diary?
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that sugar is one of your downfalls, and it is possible to get down to your goal weight if your estimates are accurate. As painful as it might be, you do need to get on the scale and see where you are though. It'll also be more meaningful as you progress but stick to weighing yourself only once a week at the same time of day.

Since you are already active, adjusting your diet seems to be the key for you. Definitely cut out the sugars. It will make a big difference. In particular, look to eliminate the candies, any sugar laden beverages, and packaged goods with sugar. Eating between meals if fine, but try to switch to healthier snacks of fruits, vegetables, and nuts. Of course, use the tools and resources on this site.