Why is regaining weight so common????

Options
Warning a little depressing but I will learn to live with the heat turned down!!!!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-is-regaining-weight-so-common/

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    "There is one method that works in animals and live humans, but it doesn’t actually kill fat cells. It converts them into a more useful type of fat:

Cold exposure. It turns out that cold exposure has the potential to transform white adipose tissue cells into metabolism-stimulating brown fat cells. In one recent study, researchers took belly fat samples from the same people during the summer and winter. Biomarkers of brown adipose tissue activity were higher in the winter belly fat. In another portion of the study, people held ice packs against their thighs. Thigh tissue samples revealed greater conversion of white fat into brown fat in the lean members of the group, while the obese had less brown fat conversion, probably due to higher baseline inflammation levels. A more recent study found that cold applied to human neck fat initiated the conversion of white fat cells into brown ones. If you can’t kill ‘em, convert ‘em.

One problem with this: it’s not a one-and-done deal. Cold-converted brown fat can revert back to white fat if the stimulus is withdrawn, though not immediately. Periodic cold exposure, even if it’s just taking early morning walks in short sleeves or cool showers or regular dips in cold water several times a week, might be required for people trying to maintain the browning.
    "
    m5cbg4a8lekt.gif

Ooookay. I think I'll stick with not constantly stuffing my face with food.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    LOL to the "cold exposure." It was -14F today where I live (that's -26C). Yeah, I'm not going out there in my skivvies. I'll just eat an appropriate amount and maintain moderate physical activity.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The only thing I hate more than being hungry is being cold. So, yeah, no thanks!
  • Sparklething2325
    Sparklething2325 Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Most woman don't strength train and cardio is not good for long term fat loss. That leads to muscle loss and as we age we loose muscle mass as well. This results in a slower metabolism. Also we burn less calories doing the same cardio we did at a heavier weight then when we weigh less. I'm gaining weight now but that's on purpose because i want more muscle mass.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The only thing I hate more than being hungry is being cold. So, yeah, no thanks!

that is very true!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you've ever tried to convert someone, you know how defeating that can feel. It's not worth it. If people don't learn that it's about changing the way they live, they're just doomed to repeat themselves... or give up. Sad
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Brown fat LOL
  • aquamarina_182
    aquamarina_182 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    yeeeah no..it's -30 degrees Celsius today where i live... :( burrrrrrr
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Whatever. I'll vote for not stuffing my face and getting some exercise every day.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    All fat I've ever seen is yellow, and I've sat through a few autopsies. And those cadavers were very cold. Hmmm... ;)
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

that is very true!

Agreed, I got up this morning to go swimming, just leaving the house seemed like a workout with the cold temperatures! Even though it was indoor swimming, just the thought made me cringe.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i think we regain weight because we stop doing the stuff we were doing to lose the weight. the medicine doesnt work if you stop taking it. That is why i still log, even in maintenance. even my embarrassing stuff that I am like, not wanting another soul to see. (hello, carton of ice cream, followed by a stack of butter cookies)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    i think we regain weight because we stop doing the stuff we were doing to lose the weight. the medicine doesnt work if you stop taking it. That is why i still log, even in maintenance. even my embarrassing stuff that I am like, not wanting another soul to see. (hello, carton of ice cream, followed by a stack of butter cookies)

Bingo! That's my "prescription". I found activities that are good for me, on a schedule that is reasonable and sustainable for me. And I keep doing them, and will do so for the long haul (or a comparable activity, should I get bored or discover a new thing I love to do).

As far as food--yeah, I will continue with reasonable quantities with balanced choices and nutritional content (with the occasional "yummy" food group indulgence included for "funsies"--just like I did when losing).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    dont+ruin+my+story+with+your+logic.gif
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    The body is VERY efficient at storing energy. Part of the reason obesity exists. Let's face it, it's still about over consuming more than one needs to lose weight.
    Oh BTW, lots of people who aren't obese live near or on the equator.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rjrobert
    rjrobert Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    There working on a new treatment for cancer that tiny nanobots (I know, Science Fiction sounding) attach themselves to cancer sells and then a proton pulse cannon shoots the nanobots signature thus killing the cancer cell.

If this ends up working, not only would it be the miracle so many are looking for in Cancer research, I also wonder if they could reprogram them to attach to fat cells and blast them this bringing the number of fat cells in your body back down?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Brrrr!!! I'm arthritic and hypothyroid. I'll stick with food logging and workouts. Being cold is just not okay with me! Also, my husband and my cats would be upset and uncomfy.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    rjrobert wrote: »
    There working on a new treatment for cancer that tiny nanobots (I know, Science Fiction sounding) attach themselves to cancer sells and then a proton pulse cannon shoots the nanobots signature thus killing the cancer cell.

If this ends up working, not only would it be the miracle so many are looking for in Cancer research, I also wonder if they could reprogram them to attach to fat cells and blast them this bringing the number of fat cells in your body back down?

'Cause there's no way THAT could go horribly wrong. Can you imagine if there was an error with targeting location or shutting the things down?

I think we've shifted genres from Sci-fi to horror.
  • LittlePinkShotgun
    LittlePinkShotgun Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    A huge number of us simply eat too much. We eat too much!!! We drink too much!!! We consume too many calories!!! More than we can burn off in a day. I think a big part of the problem stems from the fact that food and beverage corporations stand to profit from our consumption (mcdonalds, coke, subway, bacardi, coors, applebeys, pepsi, lays, pringles, m&ms, snickers, gatorade, powerbar, kellogs, nabisco) . These companies spend loads of R&D money to figure out how to get people to consume more. We are manipulated by advertisements, billboards, signage, pop vending machines, strategic store layout, product placement in movies. ALL. DAY. LONG. Do an experiment with yourself; pay attention to this for few days and try to make a mental note of each prompt you come across for calorie dense (junk) food and beverage (alcohol included) products. We have been exposed to these ads since we were kids. We have grown up with it. We are used to it. My opinion is that it's completely *kitten* up.