dizzy when I take a multivitamin

Options
Anyone else experience this?

It happens almost every time I take a vitamin, i get real dizzy after and it prevents me from taking them consistently.

Definitely worse after a workout or on an empty stomach but I can't seem to find anything online about other people noticing it.

I can take it with food from now on but just wondering if anyone else noticed this effect at all.

Replies

• joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Multi's don't make you dizzy. It's something else.

Make sure you're hydrated, and try and take them with food.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Multis have never made me dizzy, but if I take them on an empty stomach I feel ill. I've found I either need to take them with food or take the kid's version.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Not dizzy, but they make me feel horribly nauseated. Empty stomach, full stomach, different brands, doesn't matter.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Definitely take with food, esp soluble fat, since it helps absorb. You can also try switching brands. It keeps up, it might be time to see a doctor. Maybe you don't process something well? Maybe a filler is causing it?
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I've had some really bad headaches and nausea from cheap multivits. I blame the low quality and fillers. Try a better brand.
  • awesomewastaken
    awesomewastaken Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've had that problem. I don't recall the specific brand but I remember that every time I took it, I would feel very nauseous and dizzy shortly afterwards. I even asked a doctor about it and she explained it with the fact that the vitamin has a high content of x (again, don't remember), which could cause nausea.

Taking it on an empty stomach is definitely a factor, although in my case even eating beforehand did not help. Perhaps try different brands, maybe you'll react differently?
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I can't do any of the big multis, they make me throw up even if I eat before hand. I don't know, guess my body just doesn't like getting that much at once. Also my doc said some people don't do well absorbing that much iron/zinc at one time and their bodies think you've accidentally poisoned yourself, which would explain why I seem to throw up 20 minutes or so in like clockwork.

So instead I do kid's vitamins. Gummy or chewy, they still give you plenty of vitamins without the huge amounts an adult multi does, and they don't have iron in them...much easier on my stomach haha.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Not dizzy, but they make me feel horribly nauseated. Empty stomach, full stomach, different brands, doesn't matter.

This is me also with certain multivitamins. I can't take the GNC ones but I can take the naturemade ones... may have something to do with an additive.

OP have you noticed it with one particular multivitamin or all multivitamins?
  • crystaleclark
    crystaleclark Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Alot of multi viramins can make you dizzy or nauseated if you take them on an empty stach - try taking it after a meal =)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I felt crappy (more nauseated tho) from various multis, switched to gummi vites and I never feel bad after taking them even though I do it on an empty stomach hours before breakfast.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    thanks for the responses.
    Seems to be any brand but presently it is the COSTCO version of mens one a day vitamin.
    I don't feel dizzy throughout the day, or during workouts, or on an empty stomach....but as soon as I pop a multivitamin...within minutes I feel dizzy. It passes but kind of freaky.

Ill switch brands, and only take it on a full stomach but if it continues it aint worth the trouble.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Seems to be any brand but presently it is the COSTCO version of mens one a day vitamin.
    I don't feel dizzy throughout the day, or during workouts, or on an empty stomach....but as soon as I pop a multivitamin...within minutes I feel dizzy. It passes but kind of freaky.

Ill switch brands, and only take it on a full stomach but if it continues it aint worth the trouble.

Within a few minutes? Sounds like a placebo effect.
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Pill multivitamins make me dizzy/nauseated (though just about every thing makes me dizzy). I feel better when I take gummy vitamins. They taste better and make my insides feel less upset.
  • riffraff2112
    Options

Within a few minutes? Sounds like a placebo effect.

That is why I am posting. Seemed strange to me, cause it is virtually instantly and I am thinking to myself "how can it even react that quickly and make me dizzy".

I will monitor carefully the next few days and make sure I am on a full stomach and not exhausted from a workout. Start with the most likely culprits first. I never ever get that feeling from taking aspirin, or other pill forms of supplements (not like I do often!) so I really was hoping to make this a ritual but I don't need this happening.
  • Withwings137
    Withwings137 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That used to happen to me every time I took a multi (womens one a day I think it was), especially on an empty stomach or after a workout (when your metabolism is faster). I'm going to do a horrible job explaining this, but from what my doctor said, its a reaction to a certain nutrient, essentially you are getting too much of one of the nutrients. Everyone is different and requires different amounts of things, so the one you are taking might have too much of something for your body. Change brands and always take your vitamins with food so it doesn't go straight into your system. If that doesn't help, try the ones you take twice a day so the dose is lower or the liquid ones you can take in a shake.
  • riffraff2112
    Options
    excellent. thanks
    I didn't think I was imagining this, it is for real and I have no problems with other pills. The body can react to some weird things. My wife for instance has a sneezing fit every-time she reads the newspaper. She has a sensitivity to the ink they use. How weird is that? Took us years to figure out why she had these sneezing fits in the morning.
  • Withwings137
    Withwings137 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    LoL you're not crazy. :) I felt the same way. I couldn't figure out why I was getting dizzy all the time.
  • riffraff2112
    Options
    Well I am crazy but not because of the vitamins.
  • healthygal95
    healthygal95 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I would take some brands of multivitamins they made me really sick within the hour. I would get dizzy and throw up. After experimenting I found out it's just certain brands. No idea why. I've only found one brand that didn't bother me, but they are expensive to take daily.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have taken certain brands of multivitamins that have made me really sick, puke, dizzy, etc. Try switching your brand of vitamins and only take them with a meal from now on!