Exercises to do whilst sitting at work - suggestions

Options
FTIM2015
FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
Afternoon all!

I spend from 8-5 every day sat on my butt and would really like some exercises that I can do whilst sitting at my desk.

Any ideas?

Replies

• R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    pulling in your lower stomach muscles on a regular basis. I have to do this for bad back, so even though i have a wobbly belly -underneath the muscles are good and strong!
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You can do a lot of isometric exercises in your chair. Also I try to make sure I stand up every couple hours and do 25 pushups off my desk.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I got 5 lb leg weights and lift them under my desk for as long as I can manage it throughout the day.
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    bump
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    bump
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    pulling in your lower stomach muscles on a regular basis. I have to do this for bad back, so even though i have a wobbly belly -underneath the muscles are good and strong!

Me too! :flowerforyou:

I drink more water so i have to stretch my legs ( walk to toilet, which is down stairs!)
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Yes! I do a few jumping jacks, squats and butt flexes every couple hours. Not only will you burn calories and feel more tone, but you feel more awake. However, I highly suggest you bring tennis shoes to slip on for the jumping jacks. Oh, if you can even do the deep breathing exercises, that's really helpful... check out some free yoga classes on (you can tape some on tv or find them on the internet) to learn the breathing techniques. Also, consider walking up the steps instead of the elevator, parking farther away, bringing a water bottle filled with ice water on your desk, little things like that. Also, if you have a refrigerator at work, bring your own snacks in case of emergency (no time for lunch, etc). If you zip the snacks up in a labeled lunch box, people are less likely to rummage and steal from you.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    You can do a lot of isometric exercises in your chair

Ok I'm stupid freely admit it but what are isometric exercises? Would like seated exercises for different reasons.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options

This is a good one for me to do as well thanks, can't believe I never thought of it doh!
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FTIM2015
    Options
    These are great thanks guys! Wondering if i'll get funny looks having one of those thigh squeeze things under the desk!
  • FTIM2015
    Options
    You can do a lot of isometric exercises in your chair

Ok I'm stupid freely admit it but what are isometric exercises? Would like seated exercises for different reasons.

"Isometric exercise or isometrics are a type of strength training in which the joint angle and muscle length do not change during contraction (compared to concentric or eccentric contractions, called dynamic/isotonic movements). Isometrics are done in static positions, rather than being dynamic through a range of motion. The joint and muscle are either worked against an immovable force (overcoming isometric) or are held in a static position while opposed by resistance (yielding isometric)."