When do I fit exercise in???? Help

Hi everyone, Right I'm 16 days into weight loss, lost 6lb already which is amazing but I don't want to be flabby!!! Before children, I used to train 6 days a week and I really miss the gym, I was also 10st6lb, great ,hey ho those were the days. But now I'm on the go from 6am to 8pm without a minute to spare. I have a very stressful job, drive 120 miles a day and children. By the time its gets to 8pm I'm bushed and don't have any energy. I know the old adage about making time and believe me I'd love a 28 hour day but I'm no magician. So any ideas of what I can do would be great. I don't want to lose the weight and he really flabby, I've done it before and lost 5st and been really toned but I trained my backside off then.

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Delegate some of you responsibilities. Sometimes you have to wonder is the stressful job and driving 120 miles a day worth it?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    You're going to have to suck it up and just do it at 8pm!

1) 15-20 mins of Metcon, 3-4 times a week.

2) Good adherence to a calorie deficit regularly

3) Plenty of protein.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    If you don't make yourself a priority, you won't have any time to work out.

Since I don't know where you live or what you do, I can't really comment on why you are driving over an hour to and from work. I wouldn't do that, but that's me.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Take a look at BodyRock.Tv. It's all free. You can find 12 minute HIIT workouts. I used to do this when I was pressed for time & it would kick my butt. You can find the time & energy for 12 minutes.

YOU GO MOM!

http://www.bodyrock.tv/
  • caro1180
    caro1180 Posts: 5 Member
    Take a look at BodyRock.Tv. It's all free. You can find 12 minute HIIT workouts. I used to do this when I was pressed for time & it would kick my butt. You can find the time & energy for 12 minutes.

YOU GO MOM!

That's great thank you, yes I can do 12 minutes. I associate exercise = mega gym session cos that's what I was used to. I'll check it out tonight.

• I second lbetancourt. MFP even has 10 minute workouts and they often have them on demand on tv. There are 30 day challenges galore, with a squat challenge, and an ab challenge and all of that. Those take 5 - 10 minutes a day. Just do that. Do ten minutes a day for a week. Even just holding a plank position, doing some squats, or lunges, and sit ups. Do those things for ten minutes each day. Just ten minutes! It will not get your body perfect, but it WILL get you on your way!! Best of luck!
  • caro1180
    jimmmer wrote: »
    You're going to have to suck it up and just do it at 8pm!

1) 15-20 mins of Metcon, 3-4 times a week.

2) Good adherence to a calorie deficit regularly

3) Plenty of protein.

[/quote

Another great suggestion, thank you and all can be done in my home when kids asleep. I suppose partly I just wish I still had time to fit in the gym everyday. So getting different ideas I can do at home is fab.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    WYC -WYC

Where you can - When you can
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    I'd even recommend trying to wake up 30 minutes earlier and trying those workouts ^^.. it might be harder at first to wake up, but I find it easier to wake up early and work out compared to working out after a really long day.
  • Pascal56
    Pascal56 Posts: 53 Member
    I second getting up early. Also, do you not have a lunch break? Can you use any of that time? Can you incorporate random inconveniences that force more activity--like parking further away or taking stairs instead of elevators?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    caro1180 wrote: »

YOU GO MOM!

That's great thank you, yes I can do 12 minutes. I associate exercise = mega gym session cos that's what I was used to. I'll check it out tonight.

You can get a quality workout in in 15 mins. Add in 5-10 mins for a warm up/cool down and you're looking at 25 mins tops. 3-4 times a week. Dedicate another day to a good stretch/mobility/yoga type routine for 25-30 mins and you're golden.

Fat-loss is mostly diet related anyway.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Park further away at work take the stairs
  • kbhmmom
    kbhmmom Posts: 15 Member
    quote="amandarawr06;31384508"]I'd even recommend trying to wake up 30 minutes earlier and trying those workouts ^^.. it might be harder at first to wake up, but I find it easier to wake up early and work out compared to working out after a really long day.[/quote]

^ ^ ^ ^ THIS.

I agree with getting up early. I have recently started getting up an hour early to get my work out in before work since I am usually beat when I get home. For this 53 year old non-morning person it wasn't easy, but it really starts my day out well, gives me a great energy boost and motivation to stick to my food plan for the day. You can do it!
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    I have 3 kids and working out after they went to bed just didn't work for me. I now have a ghetto garage gym and get up at 5 a.m. To get my workouts in.
  • pinkmegan1
    pinkmegan1 Posts: 5 Member
    I'd even recommend trying to wake up 30 minutes earlier and trying those workouts ^^.. it might be harder at first to wake up, but I find it easier to wake up early and work out compared to working out after a really long day.

This is what I do most days. Yes, it sucks at first but so worth it. It is way too easy to not do it at the end of a long day.

I also agree with seeing about delegating some of the responsibilities to make more time for yourself if that is possible. I am not sure of the ages of your kids and what the responsibilites are, but I've worked exercise into their activities. I go to a class at the Y while my daughter is in volleyball and I will walk during my other daughter's soccer practice once that starts again.
  • caro1180
    Free parking at work and no stairs..... Otherwise I'd be running up them everyday!

Some great ideas thank you. Mornings is a fab idea, ive never exercised at morning before so a good chance to change routine.