Tuning 40 Sucks.

Options
I am frustrated and need to vent, so please excuse me.

About 5 years ago, I lost close to 40-50lbs and put on around 15-20lbs of muscle. I could lose weight easily and keep it off. But an injury and a couple other factors knocked me out of routine and I stopped working at it. 5 Years later I gain it all back.

In December '14 I started to watch what I eat. January I saw a doctor to get a baseline and talk about next steps. Mid January I started going to the gym 5 days a week.

2.5 Months later I am only 15lbs down. I am frustrated. I used to lose weight very quickly, almost like a light switch. 15lbs could be done in a month with little effort.

Now, I learn, because I am getting older - my body is changing and losing weight is much, much slower. I much more sore the next day after the gym, my hips hurt after workouts, and a creak and crack in joints I didn't know could make that noise.

This week I lost only .5 lb in 7-10 days. Now, I could be putting on muscle, which I expect, but the s l o w weight loss is really frustrating.

I'm kicking myself for taking quick weight loss for granted. Irritated I have to warm up, cool down, and stretch so much. That I have to take supplements to help keep things moving.

Sorry to *kitten*. I know I should be grateful. But this is so much effort so so little loss. It's almost overwhelming.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    There are some on here that wish with they were 40 again. You need to get a hold of yourself and live your life to the fullest. Quit thinking that life is passing you by because of some date on the calendar. 40 is not old! You can do this!! no more excuses!! Best wishes :)
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary, and let us see. I bet you're doing something wrong.

Not to rain on you, but you didn't gain 20lbs of muscle. Some professionals are only able to gain 10-12lbs. of muscle a year. Since you started working out again, you probably are just holding much more water.

It's all calories in vs. calories out. Not losing weight? Move more or eat less.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what being 40 has to do with it. I lost some weight and got serious about exercising and feel like I'm in the best shape I've been in since the military. I regularly beat my race times from my late 20s and have gained muscle over the past few years.

You may need to evaluate your training methodology. I rarely feel "bad soreness" (the kind indicative of injury) after exercising, just the normal post-workout exertion soreness that goes away after a day.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Consider the alternative.

There's always an excuse not to keep working in your best interest. That's why over 50% of the American population is sedentary and overweight.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    40 doesn't suck. But, I understand how you might feel that way. You might have to work a little harder but once you get moving and into a routine your body will respond better. I just turned 44. I started running half marathons when I turned 40. Last year was my first full. And remember, it doesn't get easier, you just get better. You can do this!
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm with you. Getting older is horrible. Everything is harder and slower and hurts more and is less effective.

So, there's your sympathy. Now get back to work ;)
  • ronandj2012
    ronandj2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm only 32 and I think losing 15 pounds in 2 1/2 months is awesome! Just make it a lifestyle change and stop thinking of it as a quick diet and the pounds will continue to come off. Consistency is what it's all about so don't give up. Think of how good it will feel if you keep it up for another 2 1/2 months and lose another 15 pounds as opposed to giving up and possibly gaining that 15 pounds back.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am 46 and in the best shape of my life and only a few pounds to go. You lost 15 pounds in 2.5 months, that is major and I do not see what the issues are.

I will just throw it out there, but I am menopausal, hot flashes, back pain, water retension, mood swings.... But the cure all for all of this is healthier eating and EXERCISE. I a have limited impact now...

Turning 30 was hardest for me not 40. Turning 30 was hard because I had to say bye bye to the reckless 20's.. But that was my personal ideas of life at that time and I was single, etc...

At 46 I have time to make changes before I hit 50 and after.. I feel the best I ever have in my entire life! Take charge of your physical, emotional and mental health!
  • 4thDegreeKnight
    4thDegreeKnight Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I realize I am being a winy pain in the butt. I just needed to vent. I guess I am just frustrated I took for granted losing weight so easily before.

In a way, not being able to lose weight easily makes me more determined. I know I have to work harder and I don't want that to go to waist so I am much more strict.

I'm working hand in hand with my trainer and doctor so I am comfortable with my weight loss - it is just what it is. My doctor and my trainer just said as you get older (40 being the first real milestone) your body changes - metabolism may slow, testosterone my drop - that is just life., you adjust.

I'm not quitting, matter of fact I am doing more than I did 5 years ago. In the gym 5 days a week, meticulous with my calorie counting, shutting up and doing what my trainer says.

I already have more energy, shirts fit better, I have to wear a belt now. So there is progress.

And that is something else I am starting to watch a little closer. I know when my wife was losing weight it was really show but she had dramatic changes in inches in certain areas. I am wondering if the same is happening to me. I'll know in another week or so when I do a second measurement check.

So no sympathy. I just need to shut up and work.

Thanks for the feedback guys (and gals).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Lol, I'd love to see your vent when you turn 50.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm 43 and I knew when I got back into the gym after 5/6 years off it wasn't going to be overnight. 11 months in and I am still working to where I want to be. Patience. Take it day by day. Celebrate the small changes - they will add up.

Even though I am not where I want to be, I'm still 11 more months more awesome than I was last March.
  • richardositosanchez
    Options
    I started going to the gym/watching what I ate at age 40 and now at 43 i'm in the best shape I've ever been. At that time I was about 250+lbs, now i'm down to 154 or so. It's do-able, you just need to stick to it.
  • bonnbunx36
    Options
    hey, thats good! 15 pounds gone? I wanna lose that much in 2 months smh
  • michablar
    michablar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We all need to vent sometimes, (just don't let the setbacks derail you completely), so let it out and keep up the hard work!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Ah, that's life! You'll never be this young again! Keep working out and logging daily - you'll look and feel better!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 and I would love to lose 15lbs in 2.5 months. I lost 40lbs last year and it took me like 12 months. Look at the bright side, you really only have 35lbs to go. If you can keep up your current losses you will hit your goal in under 4 months.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Huh. 15 pounds down in 2.5 months. that's what, 10 weeks? So over a pound a week. that's pretty darned good, and in my humble opinion, not very slow at all.

I started to get in shape at 4 months before my 41st birthday. Now, 3 years later, I am in the best shape of my life and happier than I've ever been. I lose slowly. Very slowly. 1/2 to 1 lb per week at the most. Still, I'm down 97 pounds. Every pound counts and over a pound a week is NOT slow.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I just turned 40 and feel better than ever. Realizing that I don't always have to be trying to peg my heart rate at the highest it can go has helped me to recover much faster. Same weight I was junior year in college.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Yes, our bodies change. Yes, it sucks that the weight doesn't just fall off like it did 20 years ago. Yes, it would be easy to obsess over the decimal point (I ONLY LOST .6 POUNDS THIS WEEK! which is what I was screaming in my head last Monday), but instead I choose to obsess on the word "lost." Think about it-- you could, instead, be down in the dumps over a continual gain.

Suck it up, buttercup... hate to tell you this, but it doesn't get an easier. However- you could be 40 and fat or 40 and determined not to be, despite how slowly it comes off. Every day is a battle, make it a good one.

:smiley:
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I was dreading my 40th birthday and then I got cancer. Now that sucked! I am more determined than ever to get back in shape and be the best me possible. I have age, chemical menopause, cancer meds (with weight gain side effects) and several upcoming surgeries trying to slow me down. It won't be easy, but I'm in it for the long haul.
    Your losses so far are great! Start taking photos/measurements and compare them when you start feeling down or losing motivation. You'll look back at them and really notice a difference.