Having trouble hitting my macros

Options
My total calories for the day are 2300 , i lift weights for about 90 mins 5x a week , my app says I got about 700 more cals to go , even after I eat my last two planned meals for the day , my fat is about 3G over . I got about 130g of carbs left to go too. Am I not eating enough ? Is that possible ? I am also scared to eat carbs . The carbs I do eat ( leafy greens ) are not energy dense . Should I even worry ?

Replies

• yolo9752
    yolo9752 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    How do you feel? Do you have enough energy?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • 90daychallengeSA
    Options
    If you are hitting macros, it doesn't matter what you eat bro. Get some more fruit into you post workout and pre workout. Carbs are carbs on IIFYM good and 'bad' ones alike... Let me know if u have any questions
  • caveman2014
    caveman2014 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ate more fruit today , got about 2 more meals to go . Did heavy legs today and about 10 min of intervals , running / walking . Why is everyone only eating 1200 cals?
  • caveman2014
    Options
    Can you open your diary?

How do I open it ?
  • caveman2014
    Options
    yolo9752 wrote: »
    How do you feel? Do you have enough energy?

I feel great ! Power through the work out
  • yolo9752
    Options
    How many calories do you deduct for the 90 min work out?
  • caveman2014
    Options
    I don't
  • caveman2014
    Options
    I must burn about 500
  • caveman2014
    Options
    I gained weight , I was at 175 , but weak , started eating more and cheating , gained about 20 lbs , now I'm back at it , using this app, but I'm not sure about eating 2300 cals a day, wtf? I eat all day . What do you think? I work out consistently , working out is fun for me . Kind of my hobbie , I just wish I looked like I work out. 2300 seems like a lot and I'm on a 40-40-20 split with my macros . 40% carbs of 2300 cals . Don't you think that's a lot of carbs ?
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    You're fine, as long as YOU feel fine. If you constantly feel bloated from carbs ( it does that to some) increase your fat / protein and reduce carbs a bit.

Weight loss, and gain, comes from CALORIES. Not carbs, despite what Dr. Oz says. If you're having trouble meeting calories, eat a few tbsp of peanut butter, eat nuts, cook foods in oil. Hell, if you're really low on carbs eat a pop-tart.

• paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting that much you NEED the carbs to fuel your workouts! Don't be afraid of them! If you don't go over your tdee you won't gain weight, it just won't happen, apart from a true medical disorder.
    Focus carbs around your workout and with dinner in the evening, to keep your body fueled for tomorrow's workout. Focus on starchy carbs to fuel your workouts. Veg are good for health but not particularly helpful for lifting fuel. Eat potatoes, sweet potatoes, oats, rice, cereal, poptarts etc.
    I hope that helps!!!
  • caveman2014
    Options
    You're fine, as long as YOU feel fine. If you constantly feel bloated from carbs ( it does that to some) increase your fat / protein and reduce carbs a bit.

Weight loss, and gain, comes from CALORIES. Not carbs, despite what Dr. Oz says. If you're having trouble meeting calories, eat a few tbsp of peanut butter, eat nuts, cook foods in oil. Hell, if you're really low on carbs eat a pop-tart.

What do you think about my cal intake ? Too high at 2300 , 40-40-20 split ? I guess I got to get used to clean eating , I'm still having trouble with the concept of clean food vs. garbage . Just because it seems like it's so much food to eat (clean food ) vs. eating a burrito that's 800 cals . Any info helps , thank you for your time
  • caveman2014
    Options
    paj315 wrote: »
    If you're lifting that much you NEED the carbs to fuel your workouts! Don't be afraid of them! If you don't go over your tdee you won't gain weight, it just won't happen, apart from a true medical disorder.
    Focus carbs around your workout and with dinner in the evening, to keep your body fueled for tomorrow's workout. Focus on starchy carbs to fuel your workouts. Veg are good for health but not particularly helpful for lifting fuel. Eat potatoes, sweet potatoes, oats, rice, cereal, poptarts etc.
    I hope that helps!!!

Thank you for your time . I started working out and cutting cals about 3.5 years ago, really not knowing what I was doing . I got results but now I am trying to fine tune and maximize my gains . I was eating really small portions , I lost fat but sacrificed strength and muscle . I got down to 165-170, and was really weak . I started eating more carbs and cheating . So know I'm 20lbs heavier , and reluctant to eat carbs . I will incorporate more into my meal plan and just learn to trust the process.. Thank you agian
  • martyqueen52
    Options
    Your caloric intake seems ok. You can always go to an online caloric calculator like (iifym.com) and see what their calculator says. You really just need to stay at 2300 for a week and weigh yourself weekly to see changes. If you think you're gaining, scale back calories..... if you're losing to fast, add a few in.

Now your macro split is fine. In all honesty man, it's what works best for YOU. If you prefer a low-carb, high-fat, high diet split.... do it. It's all up to you. If you like to train on an empty stomach (like me), that's fine too. Some people prefer to train fasted, otherwise they feel full, bloated, and just tired.

There's nothing wrong with eating IIFYM style. Now, don't go eat pop-tarts and crap ALL DAY LONG, but grabbing a snickers at Wal-Mart, and having a pop-tart before bed to fill in calories isn't going to hurt one bit, unless it sends you way over your daily caloric allowance.
  • caveman2014
    Options
    2300 is a gang of cals bro . What about cals per meal ? Is 400 alright
  • martyqueen52
    edited February 2015
    Options
    2300 is easy to hit man, I'm not sure what you're eating.... but it has to be leaves if you think 2300 is high.

Calories per meal? Eat 100 to 2000 per meal if you like, It doesn't matter man... you're making this really difficult for yourself. STOP.

As long as you get in your calories / macros, BEFORE you lay down to go to sleep every night, that's all that matters.

• yolo9752
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think as long as you feel good, do not push yourself to eat more carbs. I always aim for 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight to support muscle growth, I eat enough carbs to have the energy and sense of well being I need. I work out 6 times a week 75-90 min of vigorous weight training. I think if it is your goal to transform your body and you are feeling great, do not push yourself to eat carbs. I also believe in eating carbs at the morning and tapering it down as the day goes-only veggies with my protein for dinner and no carb snacks after. I aim for 5 meals a day, always including protein, adding either healthy fat OR carbs in most cases-in my case around 300-350 calories per each meal to keep the metabolism going and to prevent myself from being hungry. I know that many people think this is too complicated and as long as you hit your calories, you are fine but if you are like me, this is not just about looking weight but also about achieving certain physique. There are many ways to get to the same goal I am sure :smile:
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    2300 is a gang of cals bro . What about cals per meal ? Is 400 alright

Calories per meal do not matter as long as you're within in your macros for the day.
    You might wanna check out Eat to Perform. They have an awesome program and message board set up with moderators that help you with all your nutritional questions including getting your calories and macros set for what your ultimate goals.

• jaylo2015
    Options
    You could incorporate a couple of good quality protein shakes to boost your protein intake. Just a suggestion! That's what I do when I'm falling very short of my protein goals for a day.