MFP telling me to eat just 1,100 cals a day?

Options
I have MFP a set on lightly active. I'm 5'1 and get 1370 cals a day. I do exercise a lot and some days will eat some cals back. Usually only once a week at about 1600 cals. I do this when I feel hungry.

I thought I'd set it to sedentary as some people suggest and eat back a percentage of exercise cals.

I swim 5 days a week, and started picking up classes, as well as a recent introduction of strength training.

I have MFP set to lose 2lb a week. I'm averaging 0.5lb despite all the accurate measuring etc, which I've accepted as I eat a lot of carbs and I have PCOS, I just figure for me it's going to be slow.

I've lost 3stone 9lb. I have at least 4 stone to go. Maybe more.

Anyway on my none exercise days I'm pretty sedentary as I'm a student and those are my study days, so it makes sense to set those to sedentary, and eat some exercise cals.

It calculates my cals at 1100. I can't even complete the diary without getting a warning I'm not eating enough, so why would it set me at 1100 cals.

So, am I eating too much?

I doubt it despite slow weight loss MFP a calculated me at about 8000 exercise cals burned a week. I know this could be over estimated. But if it's half that I'm anal about weighing and logging everything, I should in theory lose more than 0.5lb a week, I have MFP set to lose 2lb anyway.

Should I eat less? Ignore it? Carry on as I am? 03ub2gmrha2q.jpg

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    you set that manually yourself with custom goals ?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    There's a glitch where it's giving people goals under 1200 calories.

Are you using a food scale?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    They changed the old 'starvation mode' message to read '1000-1200'. Maybe they also changed the lower boundary to 1000?

For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Go in and custom set your calories.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Set your calories manually to 1200. The website and app are having issues.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I used http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ to calculate my calories and macros. It was on point with my nutritionists recommendations. I manually adjusted MFP to fit the IIFYM numbers. I also rarely eat back my workout calories. Once in a while I'll dip into it if I'm close to my number but want to add a protein shake. I'm steadily losing at 1.2 lbs per week.
  • cloverin
    cloverin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I gained one lb and it reset my goal from 1200c to 980! I'm 5 feet
  • emilyGPK
    emilyGPK Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    That's definitely an error because they don't go under 1000 ever when it is working normally.