T25 Newbie: SO SORE!

Options
Kelli0922
Kelli0922 Posts: 3
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Did Day 2 of T25 last night. This morning I am crazy sore! I know that is expected but I'm worried that tonight's workout is going to be a struggle. Walking up and down stairs is a struggle for me at this point. Any tips on dealing with sore muscles? Maybe I need to stretch more afterwards.

Replies

• ejuliano85
    ejuliano85 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was with you a few days ago! Day 4 was so much better soreness wise. I just finished my 2 Friday workouts. My abs are still sore from yesterday, but I was able to do Cardio without wanting to die! It gets better, I promise!!
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Soreness is normal when you're doing something new or increasing something you're used to (higher intensity, more reps, etc). It's nothing you did wrong or that you need to worry about.

Make sure you get a good warmup (as in, literally get warm) to help prevent pulling anything. You can even start your workout wearing extra layers and peel them off as you heat up. Avoid static stretches, especially before your workout. Limbering up and warming up through movement is best. To use your example of soreness going up and down stairs -- likely you were say, sitting, and then went upstairs, so you weren't warmed up. If you want for a 5 or 10 minute leisurely walk and then took some stairs, you'd likely notice improvement.

Also, listen to your body extra carefully to make sure that there aren't any muscles that are so tired that they can't be pushed very hard for a few days. If something feels iffy, stop doing it and move on. If there are any *tender* spots, that hurt to touch, be extra gentle with those.

I love yoga for soreness as well. It can really help work things out a bit! You can literally go on YouTube and search "yoga for soreness" or "yoga for sore muscles" or "restorative yoga" or also you can look for a sun salutation practice, but if you're a complete beginner, you might have to look around, maybe "sun salutation for beginners", because some moves -- like chaturanga -- should probably be substituted out. But otherwise, sun salutation is great -- it's almost like a very slow, gentle burpee, so as you cycle through, you will notice a lot more ease and flexibility.
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    Options
    I just finished Beta today. Keep pushing and do the best you can. Might wanna stretch a bit before you workout today. My abs have basically hurt for the last 5 weeks but it is completely worth it. Lost 15 lbs doing T25 and using MFP.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Never did T25, but I did Insanity and had the same experience. My solution...do it every other day to allow some recovery time between workouts. It took twice as long to complete, but I also completed it instead of giving up.

BTW - it took me nearly 3 weeks to be able to get through the Insanity warm-ups without hitting the pause button...and I was in pretty good shape too. Take it one step at a time.

Good luck!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    It gets better. Stretch, foam roll a couple times a week. Drink lots of water. KEEP GOING and push through the soreness. I remember that when I started T25 :) but the program is designed to do this to you.

I have one week left of Insanity Max:30 so I do hear ya on the soreness! Shaun T does NOT play!
  • mcltre36
    mcltre36 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm just ending week 4 today and I felt the same for the first week...stairs were a killer! After week 1 its been fine. Keep at it!! T25 with a good diet = great results!
  • HamptonsGuy
    HamptonsGuy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    As stated warm up and stretching. Walk up and down stairs for 5 minutes before starting. Afterwards, cool down and stretch. You will fell better. After that I hot shower. You will always be somewhat sore as your building muscles but you can mitigate the intensity.