When did you change your goals?

Options
I'm on my 306th day of logging in MFP and have lost 78 lbs. in that time, and now I need some advice. When I first started, I had my goal set to 2 lbs/wk and I left it there until I was out of the "obese" range of the BMI chart, at which point at set it at 1.5 lbs/wk. My plan was to continue at 1.5 lbs/wk until I reached a "normal" weight for my height, and then I would switch it to 1 lb/wk. However, in the past couple weeks I've felt exhausted all the time, I get dizzy when I stand up after sitting for a while, and my weight loss has slowed way down. If you were me would you change your goal to 1 lb/ wk now? I'm only about 5 lbs from a "normal/ healthy weight" and about 20 lbs from goal. MFP currently has me eating 1460 cals, plus I eat back any exercise calories earned (I wear a HRM during cardio to estimate calorie burn). I know I've seen a chart somewhere on MFP that says "if you have between x and y lbs to lose, set your goal at z" but I can't find it!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you're getting dizzy, have you consulted a physician? Could you be pregnant?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I went to 0.5 when I had about 20lbs to goal...that goal was my maximum BMI and I would be in a healthy range another 20lbs down on that ...

I think it depends whether you feel you need more calories or not
  • PennyHartz
    PennyHartz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you- that's the chart I was looking for! Definitely not pregnant :) I'm thinking I'll up my intake and change my goal to 1 lb/ wk and see if that helps before consulting my doctor. I kind of knew that was the answer, but I just had the idea stuck in my head that I wanted to get to a "normal" weight before I did that. Switching my goal early kind of felt like I was giving up rather than powering through, but if it's to the detriment of my health it's not worth it!
  • KrisAZ000
    KrisAZ000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    PennyHartz wrote: »
    Thank you- that's the chart I was looking for! Definitely not pregnant :) I'm thinking I'll up my intake and change my goal to 1 lb/ wk and see if that helps before consulting my doctor. I kind of knew that was the answer, but I just had the idea stuck in my head that I wanted to get to a "normal" weight before I did that. Switching my goal early kind of felt like I was giving up rather than powering through, but if it's to the detriment of my health it's not worth it!

Switching your goal might actually help you progress quicker. I was at a super strict deficit despite being within my last 15 pounds. It was recommended to me to up my calories, so I started eating 1400 a day instead of 1200 and also started eating my exercise calories back (which I never did before). I've lost a pound or more a week since I upped my calories, which is as good or better than previous weeks. I was already at the middle of my healthy weight range, so I wasn't even expecting to continue to lose a pound a week at 1200, let alone when eating more.