Advice for getting over a plateau

Options
What are some things that have helped you break through a plateau when your weight, body fat percentage, and/or measurements are stuck?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    How long has it lasted?
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Make sure I'm weighing my solid food, measuring cups for liquids. If I'm eating back exercise calories, make sure I'm not overestimating. Make sure these things are in check and don't worry unless it has been several weeks without loss because weight fluctuates up and down 2-3bs from one day to the next and up 5 from morning to night. Water retention from exercise can also temporarily mask loss as well as excess sodium, time of month, excess cortisol from stress/lack of sleep. I make sure I'm getting ample rest at night and days I don't do heavy exercise. Patience =)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    How long has it lasted?

This ^^

Less than 6-8 weeks is a natural stall
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The lower you go the harder it gets to lose weight; as you lose more weight you might have to start (if your not already) weighing your food. What gets us by when we weigh more is enough to keep us at a stale mate further on down the line.
  • vchan000
    vchan000 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If it's a true stall and not just me being impatient, it means I've gotten lazy somewhere, and there's creep. I need to go back to being strict with myself about weighing and measuring everything and logging it accurately.

To get it to stick, I usually take a day 'off' and eat at or near maintenance calories before diving back in and strictly measuring everything again. I find that helps reset the mental process for me.
  • s9foster
    s9foster Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Everything has been stalled for about 3 months.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If it's been 3 months you're eating at maintenance. Eat less and/or move more.
  • s9foster
    Options
    If it's been 3 months you're eating at maintenance. Eat less and/or move more.
    Good point...

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Either your logging or your exercise burn, or both, are out ...refocus on these ...weigh and log accurately and with care ,.half your exercise calories

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    First I would make sure that my calorie goal is correct. It should be adjusted every 10 pounds. Sometimes people get a notification to adjust it, sometimes they don't. The last time I helped someone with a stall they found out they were eating over 200 calories more than they should have because they had not adjusted their goal since they started.

I would also ask other members to take a look at my food and exercise diary. Sometimes a extra set of eyes or two can see inaccuracies that you might not be able to see yourself.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What are your stats and can you open your diary?
  • s9foster
    Options
    5'8, 148 lbs, 23% body fat, 5 workouts a week- crossfit or circuits. I have a clean eating group so we track calories and protein intake there instead. Roughly 1800-1900 calories a day. A couple planned cheat meals a week and a few alcohol beverages that are included in that 1800-1900 average.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    When was your last diet break?
  • s9foster
    Options
    I don't really consider it a diet just a lifestyle change. Been eating clean for a year or so pretty well. Couple cheats meals a week.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Do you think your cheat meals could be hindering your progress? Why not log them and see? I found days I let myself go, I can easily hit 3k without thinking. And if you're limiting your food choices and only eating those foods you love on "cheats", I'd be bold enough to say it'd be a day eating up a deficit.

You also say "roughly " that many calories. Do you know 100%? I realize even in logging the best it won't ever be 100 but that statement stuck out to me.
  • s9foster
    Options
    Good advice. We track calories off and on and yes I noticed if you have a cheat meal and beverages one night you may ruin your progress for the week. Thanks.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    do you weigh all your solid foods with a food scale?
  • s9foster
    Options
    If I am food prepping and making food... yes. If I get a chicken taco salad somewhere with no shell or dressing, the meat, cheese, and veggies are a guess.
  • Vegetasha
    Vegetasha Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are actually the lowest weight you should be for your height anyway so I wouldnt worry! For 5ft8 between 10 stone 5lbs and 12 stone 1lb is within a healthy bmi x
  • s9foster
    Options
    Thanks guys. 20 percent body fat and getting stronger is my goal. Inches lost would help to motivate also. The scale... it lies. I guess that doesn't bother me. Maybe I just need patience.