Feeling sick after long runs

Options
Does anyone else feel really ill after long runs? Last week after my 9 mile long run I felt almost hungover... I wanted to throw up, had a headache, and was super cold. This week after 10 miles it was the same. Not sure what to blame for the problem or if this is normal? Last time I trained for a marathon I don't remember feeling this way.

Replies

• runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Its not normal for me. I'm thinking maybe running too fast on long run? The pace should be much slower on your long run. Maybe not enough fluids? Is your base running mileage enough to support your long run? Meaning you should not be running 16 miles per week with 10 being a long run.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you're dehydrated and/or underfuelled
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I was getting really bad headaches after long runs and knew I wasn't dehydrated. My doctor suspected that it was from sodium deficiency. She recommended salt tabs or using high-sodium sport gels or drinks. I started using the Margarita flavor of Shot Blox (they have more sodium than the other flavors) during long runs and that took care of the problem. During races I alternate water with Gatorade/sport drink at the water stops.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Drinking too much water will cause those symptoms.
  • samrunsfast
    samrunsfast Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was getting really bad headaches after long runs and knew I wasn't dehydrated. My doctor suspected that it was from sodium deficiency. She recommended salt tabs or using high-sodium sport gels or drinks. I started using the Margarita flavor of Shot Blox (they have more sodium than the other flavors) during long runs and that took care of the problem. During races I alternate water with Gatorade/sport drink at the water stops.

this makes a lot of sense to me.. I was trying to figure out what I was doing differently last time I ran a marathon. And I was definitely drinking more sodium. I'm going to try and see if this is my problem.

Also, not running enough during the week could be it. I've had to skip a few short runs because of the cold/no daycare/asthma issues I've been having. This week I'm sticking to my training schedule to a T!

• Frequently_Fabulous
    Options
    I feel sick after long runs (for me after 6 mi) if I'm 1) dehydrated to start (too much coffee, not enough water), 2) drank alcohol the day before (again, I think, causing me to be dehydrated, 3) low on salt (trying to go non-processed and cut out too much salt too quickly, 4( eating banana for a snack 1 hr before run (I had really bad cramps and diarrhea for like 3 weeks until I figured it out!

Hope u feel better soon!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Are you eating and drinking enough? I don't run, but I ride and the only time I feel ill after a long ride is if I haven't properly fueled myself for the activity...to include post ride nutrition for recovery.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like dehydration, low blood sugar, or an electrolyte imbalance. 9-10 miles is the length when I begin to need to replace fluids and electrolytes, and beyond which I begin to need to refuel during my runs. I would try eating or drinking some simple carbs about 30 minutes before the run (not too much, 100-200 calories' worth), and then perhaps having some sports drink or water and a gel after an hour of running.

@scottb81‌ is right that too much water (hyponatremia) can produce similar symptoms, but those affected are usually ultramarathoners, or slow marathoners, who drink too much over the course of several hours.
  • samrunsfast
    Options
    Yeah I definitely don't drink TOO much. If anything I'm dehydrated. Also, last time I trained I do remember using cliff gels. One before the run and one an hour in. I guess I don't remember having to do this stuff until my runs were 12 plus miles... so I was confused when I got these symptoms starting at only 9 miles. But it seems like I need to do more fueling and hydrating starting pronto!
  • watsonnew91
    Options
    Try to increase not only your sodium levels, but also potassium. Magnesium helped my dad when he had migraines. I also take branched chain amino acids but my runs tend to be very short and not at all sweet
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Are you not eating enough prior to your runs? Or maybe dehydrated
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yeah I definitely don't drink TOO much. If anything I'm dehydrated. Also, last time I trained I do remember using cliff gels. One before the run and one an hour in. I guess I don't remember having to do this stuff until my runs were 12 plus miles... so I was confused when I got these symptoms starting at only 9 miles. But it seems like I need to do more fueling and hydrating starting pronto!

Were you in a calorie deficit the last time you trained? And are you in one now? If the answers are "no" and "yes," then that would explain the difference. When you're in a prolonged calorie deficit, your muscles and liver will store less glycogen than if you're eating at maintenance. Less glycogen = less fuel in the tank. You'll have partially adapted to burning more fat as fuel, but you're still likely to run out sooner.

When I was eating at will and slowly gaining weight, I could bicycle for 40 miles before I needed to eat. When I was losing weight, with about a 500-calorie daily deficit, I needed to eat for rides over 30 miles. I wasn't running long distances that year, but I expect things would have been similar, mutatis mutandis.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Could be a couple things.

Low blood sugar would be my first concern.

Along with dehydration and too much/too little food.
  • samrunsfast
    Options
    I am eating at a deficit and I was last time tok. Nothing drastic... losing about 1 lb a week sometimes less. And I eat a lot the day before a long run (2500 call at least) but the morning of my long run I only have a couple hundred calories before I go. I really think the sodihm, hydration in general, and fueling issues seem like the culprit. I really can't wait for my long run on Tuesday to see how it goes this time. (11 miles)